• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve A-stan Tour in 2007; 36 bde

• Thread starter jmackenzie_15
  • Start date
J

jmackenzie_15

From whats been passed down from our CO at my home company, 36bde is supposed to commit a rifle company of reserve troops for a tour in afghanistan.Workup training beginning in January, lasting for a year, and then a 6 month tour in afghanistan.

Does a year of work up sound right to anyone? I have no experience, or know anyone with any experience on this matter.
I always thought it was 3 months for regulars and 6 months for reservists... im hoping its a miscommunication, because a year of workup training in say, petersville, does not sound appealling  :p

Anyone else hear anything about this from their home units?

A year sounds quite long..

I know for TF 3-06, the workup is from Feb - May and then 6 weeks at CMTC and then deploy in August 06.. for 6 months.

Perhaps the year of workup includes training at the home unit prior to deploying to the actual work-up training itself?

:blotto:

Read a Pl for Mirage and a PL for Gate duties in K town...

Ask the LER's gearing up for it now

They got the same deal

No one is going to let a reserve coy walk around K town unless they have been smoking rock.

At first I heard the tour was only 2 months.... then it was 2 months workup, then 2 months in a-stan... then 6 months workup in gagetown, 6 months in afghanistan.... now its a year in gagetown?

that just cant be right.Even if we are reservists... it used to be 6 months for a regular tour?

To those that have done workup training for tours.... what is it like?

is it like a really strict course, or what? Im just wondering what to expect if I do end up going.... BIQ all over again, or regular working days/conditions, except with workup training material?

from what i have been told is that there are two separate tours, once is 2 months (1 month work up, 1 month deployed) to tear down camp Julien Then the "long" one if you will is next year and work up training starts in Jan.  That's all I have heard till now, it is slowly being passed down the Chain Of Command

KevinB said:
No one is going to let a reserve coy walk around K town unless they have been smoking rock.

Hey, the Reservists don't want to be walking around there until they get some decent coffee shops up!

True - heck I'm surprised Timmy's does not have a few set up (they have Timmies in Iraq beleive it or not)

I'd love a PSD gig guarding the Timmy's managers - free coffee, low risk (who could brign themselves to kill the coffee guys - I mean really?)

J-Swift said:
from what i have been told is that there are two separate tours, once is 2 months (1 month work up, 1 month deployed) to tear down camp Julien Then the "long" one if you will is next year and work up training starts in Jan.    That's all I have heard till now, it is slowly being passed down the Chain Of Command

Same here.

What im wondering is,

A) What is the work up training like, and
B) is it 6 months work up, or a year?

KevinB said:
True - heck I'm surprised Timmy's does not have a few set up (they have Timmies in Iraq beleive it or not)

I'd love a PSD gig guarding the Timmy's managers - free coffee, low risk (who could brign themselves to kill the coffee guys - I mean really?)

Hey Kev,

For goood money, I'll be your wingman on that. You'll need a good combat medic...

Hey, we better get a Timmy's in Wainwright before we set one up in Afghanistan!

A year?  Crikey.  During WWII a year was enough time to recruit and train an infantry division for divisional operations.  We might as well pack up the reserve and save some money by recruiting directly off the street as needed if it has to take that long.

1 year sounds about right.  34th brigade reserve units are doing an 11 month work up training for Afghanistan.

I dont know how many of what trade is needed, but I have a buddy who is about to leave for 11 months work up training and we're an armoured recce unit.

From my understanding the ONLY 0 trades to be employed in trade are the R031's.

I gather R sigs, clerks etc may have positions (don't quote me)

from the 34th?  Obviously not.  We got a guy heading out soon for his work up training.

We also got a guy doing his work up training for haiti as we apeak.  (the first I heard of reserves going to haiti)

or maybe we're talking about a different rotation.  I'll find some more info on exactly which one before I post further.

Armoured Reservists are NOT going to be deployed in trade - unless they have Coyote Driver, Gunner or Surv OP.
Kinda hard to man a surviellance system with un qualified bodies.

Reserve 031's at least at the Cpl and Pte level can dismount a LAV easily enough, they can, as well, in set Platoons do D&S very effectively.

Armoured Reservists are NOT going to be deployed in trade - unless they have Coyote Driver, Gunner or Surv OP.

Well, the guy going has been to Bosnia several times and is Coyote qualified so...

31 bde is going from RHFC we got 10 spots for Cpl i heard so far I'm in as long as my security Clearance passes,

Back