• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

reserve basic training difficulties

Bfalcon.cf

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, i'm 16.5 years old and startin reserve basic training on july 4th. I was wondering if i would have sum difficulties with the following: a) have glasses, my eyesight is only barely bad enuf to warrant glasses but i still need em, b) age - at this age will i have difficulty-i'm in decent fizical shape and play competitive sports like rugby, and ultimate, and i swim a lot, c) size, i'm about 5'8". Also i do have intelligence goin for me-like how often shud i talk up, cuz like i'm quite smart and i don't want to b the smart alec, but i figure things out quickly and my iq is around 175. Also what sort of weapons drills do they do, and do u have ne spare time in the evenings? what do u do 2 relax?

Also, a)what shud i personally bring, like nethin off the list? anything i shud look out for on the course (like little trix and pranks made by the drill dudes?

Im in the same boat as you (doing BMQ&SQ this summer, 16, decent physical condition, functioning brain) and the only advice that I've seen so far on this forum that is gonna do us any good is to keep our wits about us and just get'er done. Also if you read through various other threads on the site you can draw some pretty accurate conclusions of what to expect.

Bfalcon.cf said:
Hey, i'm 16.5 years old and startin reserve basic training on july 4th. I was wondering if i would have sum difficulties with the following: a) have glasses, my eyesight is only barely bad enuf to warrant glasses but i still need em, b) age - at this age will i have difficulty-i'm in decent fizical shape and play competitive sports like rugby, and ultimate, and i swim a lot, c) size, i'm about 5'8". Also i do have intelligence goin for me-like how often shud i talk up, cuz like i'm quite smart and i don't want to b the smart alec, but i figure things out quickly and my iq is around 175. Also what sort of weapons drills do they do, and do u have ne spare time in the evenings? what do u do 2 relax?

Your IQ is 175? and your joining the army and your grammer is amazing for someone with the IQ of 175. Dont get me wrong but...you almost have the same IQ Einstein? ROFLMAO

and by the way what's this "fizical" shape your talking about.

I'm sorry this is the funnest thing i've red all week.

Don't sweat the glasses.  As far as age goes, its maturity that counts.  Size has never made the soldier, you will be pushed to the limits of your strength and endurance, whatever the shape you are when you arrive.  Smart people shut up and soldier on basic; keep your eyes and ears open.  Be ready to learn from everyone on your basic, to each recruit some things will come easy, to each some things will come hard.  Share your strengths with your platoon, and be quick to draw on theirs; the first lesson is that you cannot survive alone, in the army you either fight as a team, or fall alone.  Take whatever you need to relax or unwind; the pressure will snap you if you don't have a safety valve.  As far as tricks the instructors have, I come from a line of soldiers that stretches back to the battle of Hastings, and that didn't keep the instructors from getting to me.  Keep a sense of humour, use the pressure to make the changes within yourself.  You may come to hate some of your instructors, use it, sometimes the sheer unwillingness to let that son-of-a-wh*re beat you is all that gets you through.  You will screw up, you will get over it.   Keep a sense of humour, and learn to rely on your platoon, and you will find after a certain point that the pressure, while no less intense, just doesn't bother you as much any more. From that point on, its all downhill.  Basic training usually sticks to the basics of squad weapons, you will learn all about things 5.56mm, and fun things to do with dirt.  Most of the high-speed toys wait until after basic, when you know enough about the game to learn the roles of the more serious weaponry.

the 48th regulator said:
A dictionary may come in handy.

Good ol' MSN speak. So irritating!!! A sad thing is, is that as a TA at a university, I've seen numerous student  papers written with MSN speak or sentences that just make no sense!

Maclean's recently had a cover story entitled "How computers make our kids stupid."  I haven't read it yet, but I think I know the sort of things it will cover....

an IQ of 175? Tennyson was only 170, Dickens and DaVinci 180. Impressive.  :o

Bfalcon.cf said:
Also i do have intelligence goin for me-like how often shud i talk up, cuz like i'm quite smart and i don't want to b the smart alec, but i figure things out quickly and my iq is around 175. Also what sort of weapons drills do they do, and do u have ne spare time in the evenings? what do u do 2 relax?

Is this a joke?  Who tested your IQ? 

On the same vein, you will have lots of free time in the evening.  Mostly the recruits like to study, clean, polish or press everything in sight.  Sometimes, just for kicks they will stand at attention while getting yelled at.  Most recruits will experience insomnia for an hour or more during the night, and have a sudden urge to get dressed in all their kit in order to ensure that no one is smoking in bed.  Often this insomnia will reoccur around 5:00AM, but the recruit will then have an urge to get into PT kit and go for a run.

Oh, and don't forget to double space your autobiography.

One of those online IQ tests gave me 163...It was the happiest day of my life. Then I saw that they wanted me to pay $25 for them to send me a certificate. Well, being the bright young man that I am, I quickly deduced that they had over-stated (vastly) my IQ in the hopes that I would buy their worthless piece of paper.

Bfalcon.cf said:

Hey, I'm 22.7 years old and did reserve basic training already.

a) lots of ppl had glasses on my course, didn't really hamper them
b) if you really as a "fizical" (am I cool yet???) as you say, then no you shouldn't have too much trouble if any
c) First your IQ test is a crock. Second, I had one adminstered by a gov't accredited tester and got 132 - that's 8 away from genius on the test. Guess what!? It didn't do me any damn good. They don't care about your IQ for a second.
d) if you find time to relax on basic, even a res. one, you're not doing something right
e) take an english course and learn how to spell english or prepare to write one insanely terrible autobiography and get laughed at

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
All y'alls r tres tres tres funny. Dictionary, good point, i'm sure i won't understand common english considering i go to a private skewl-SJR, have a 93% average, got in the 97th percentile on my SAT's (for those of u who don't know thats the aptitude test for american colleges), and if you want a sample of my riting, i'd b happy to email it to ya. Oh, and btw, einsteins iq happened to b 200+, they weren't even sure. I didn't get it measured online, got it measured @ skewl. And i type this way, bc thats the quickest way to get sumthin said on the net. U guys just gotta learn to adapt to this century. I wuz just using iq to demonstrate that i mite actually b slightly intelligent, basically i wuz wondering if high intelligence is an asset or not. I mean, i'm just tryin 2 get help, not get scoffed at by a bunch of probable dumasses. Heres a sample of my writing: Its the essay i wrote regarding the canadian special forces in world war two topic i had asked questions about. I actually won a canadian history contest award of 500$ for it

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, the â Å“Desert Foxâ ? once said, â Å“Give me American supply lines, British planes, German officers and Canadian troops, I could take over the world.â ?  The Canadians earned a reputation in World War One as being the best shock troops in the world. Their role in the conflicts of Vimy Ridge, Yprès, and the capture of Amiens starting the â Å“Last 100 days of the Warâ ? demonstrated their unique fighting abilities. Canadian troops not only were the finest Allied soldiers in World War Two, they also raised two special units, the First Special Service Force (the â Å“Black Devil's Brigadeâ ?), and the First Canadian Parachute Battalion. These units are the founders of today's Special Operations Forces. Canadian troops were considered to be valorous, honourable, and superior in their operations, from Dieppe, to the Mediterranean, Normandy, Holland, and Northern Germany.  In World War Two, the Canadian Infantry played a vital role as assault, shock, and crack troops through their training as light infantry and special forces soldiers, and they were a major contributor to the final defeat of the Nazis.
Pre-War Canada was very unprepared to fight any conflict. Its army (only three regular regiments, and 43 militia regiments) was not only small, but extremely ill-equipped. For example, it had only 16 light tanks, four anti-aircraft guns, ten Bren light machine guns, and two antitank guns for the entire army.  Thankfully, the Canadians had very well trained officers who were resourceful, and brilliant in their methods of not only modernizing the Canadian army, but training it to become the best trained Allied army of World War Two. By D-Day, the 1st Canadian Army had 250 000 men.  The Canadian infantry (the Canadian 1st Army) arrived in England in December of 1939 under the command of Lieutenant-General McNaughton. Training in England was rigorous and intense. It included simulated assault landings on beaches in England, Wales, and Scotland, hours on obstacle courses, forced marches in loose beach sand while wearing full packs. Troops were ordered to awake at 0330 hours, and were placed in small landing craft. They were then transported to destroyers or other cargo ships and, in 15-foot seas, clambered up and down cargo nets with full packs to simulate loading onto the landing craft for amphibious assault.  Small-arms training and battlefield first aid was held throughout each day. 
The 1st Special Service Force was created on July 20th, 1942. This was a unique joint formation of elite Canadian troops and Americans which was originally supposed to include England, but England decided to put its elite troops with the Special Air Service instead. The 1SSF was designed for sabotage and for use in commando operations. Members were all handpicked volunteers, and the Force's training base was in Helena, Montana. To eliminate any organizational problems among the troops, Canadians adopted American uniforms and ranks. The training of the â Å“Devil's Brigadeâ ? was an intensive three phase program, with extensive physical training for the duration. The first phase included parachute training, small unit tactics and weapons handling - all officers and ranks were required to master the full range of infantry weapons from pistols and carbines to bazookas and flame throwers. The second phase was explosives handling and demolition techniques. The third and final phase involved skiing, rock climbing, adaptation to cold weather, and operation of the Weasel combat vehicle (a troop transport vehicle intended for winter warfare) . The brigade's first deployment was to the Aleutian island of Kiska, but this mission was disappointing to the troops when it was found that the Japanese forces expected there had already evacuated. The first real battle was in the Italian Campaign. It was at two mountains - Monte La Difensa and Monte Camino - that German troops had established a stronghold. Any attempts to destroy this fortress had led to complete failures and numerous casualties for the American 5th Army. Thus, the First Special Service Force was called in. The first regiment scaled an extremely high cliff by night to surprise the enemy. Originally planned as a three to four day assault, the battle was won in just two hours. The force remained for 3 days, packing in supplies for defensive positions and fighting frostbite, then moved on to the second mountain, which was soon captured as well. At the conclusion, 1SSF suffered 511 casualties including 73 dead and 116 cases of exhaustion and stress. The commander, Col. Robert Frederick, was wounded twice in this battle.  Unfortunately, the Special Service Force was often misused as line troops through their various battles in the Italian Campaign. Special Forces are not intended to serve as regular infantrymen, as they have vastly different tactics. Regular infantry are taught to always attack and especially attack head-on. Special Forces, on the other hand, are instructed to try to avoid this type of fighting, and instead to fight in a guerrilla warfare style. The Devil's Brigade battle honours include: Monte Camino, Monte La Difensa, Monte La Remetanea, Monte Majo, Anzio, Rome, Advance to the Tiber, Italy 1943 - 44, Southern France and Northwest Europe. They were also the first Allied unit into Rome. The First Special Service Force was finally disbanded on December Fifth, 1944, in Southern France. 
The patch of the 1SSF was a red arrowhead with the words CANADA and USA. They even had a specially designed fighting knife designed for them, titled the V-42. The first scheduled operation was code named "Project Plough." The mission to parachute into German-held Norway and knock out strategic installations such as hydroelectric power plants. This operation had to be abandoned however. During Operation Shingle at Anzio, Italy, 1944, the Special Force were brought ashore to replace the decimated U.S. Army Rangers (elite troopers themselves), and to hold and raid from the right-side flank of the beachhead which was by the Mussolini Canal and Pontine Marshes. To the astonishment of the commanding officers at the beachhead, the 1SSF fought extremely effectively, wiping out all German opposition. It was here at Anzio that the 1st Special Force received its nickname. A diary of a dead German soldier contained a passage that said, "The black devils (Die schwarze Teufeln) are all around us every time we come into the line."  The soldier was referring to them as "black" because the brigade's members smeared their faces with black boot polish for their covert operations in the dark of the night. In fact, throughout the entire war, the Black Devils never failed to achieve their objective. Today, modern North American Special Forces (the American Navy Seals and Green Berets, and Canada's own JTF2) were created and modeled after this elite force. To commemorate the brigade, a highway between Lethbridge Alberta, and Helena, Montana has been named the First Special Service Force Memorial Highway. Overall, it is estimated 12,000 enemy soldiers were killed and over 7,000 prisoners were captured by the â Å“Black Devil's Brigadeâ ? during the campaigns in Italy and France.
The 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion was created on July 1, 1942 by the Minister of Defence, Mr. Ralson, with the orders to protect Canada in the event of an enemy troop landing. At the start of the war, it was feared that the Germans might attempt to land a small force of highly trained soldiers in Canada so as to reduce the Canadian war participation. Therefore, it was decided that a highly mobile unit that was versatile, aggressive, and self-sustaining (relatively) so as to effectively and quickly react to a German landing.  The obvious, and ideal choice would be an airborne force, as â Å“parasâ ? are able to deploy quickly, and survive on their own very well. The 1st Canadian Airborne was the original airborne unit of Canada. Eventually, with the threat of a German invasion slowly diminishing, the operational role of the Airborne Battalion was changed so as to allow this unit to serve overseas.
In England, the Battalion was commanded by an Englishman, Brigadier General James Hill, a charismatic, yet war-hardened young officer (he was only 31 years of age at the formation of the unit) from a military family.  He found that paratroops were â Å“ a much more effective bunch of soldiers than regular infantry...They proved magnificent fighting material provided they were kept on a tight reign and well disciplinedâ ?.  The Canadian unit was made up of volunteers from infantry regiments only. In addition to being under 6'3â ?, all of the troops must have undergone basic training and the soldier qualification course prior to enlistment with the battalion.  The training of the 1st Airborne was very intense. In North America, it involved four months of training at Fort Benning, Georgia. The first month was devoted solely to physical training, with an intensive 15 minute sprint to the top of a nearby hill and back as the final test(more than 50% of the applicants failed out at this point) . The second month involved basic ground training and some infantry tactics, and then Low Level Tower training, in preparation for actually parachuting out of planes. The third month involved all the prior procedures expanded, and added High Level Tower training (a fast descent from a 250 foot tower). The last month involved all training and added the actual Parachute Qualification (five completed parachute descents) The Battalion was then sent to Shiloh, Manitoba for additional Parachute Training. Finally, they were sent to England to learn the more realistic and intense components of warfare. These were dangerously realistic exercises to learn demolition and fieldcraft in overcoming obstacles such as barbed wire, bridges and pillboxes. For the final tests, the recruits were sent against their training officers in a live fire exercise. The â Å“paraâ ? was considered to be part-airman, part commando and part engineer. The 1st Canadian Airborne battalion was part of the massive airborne invasion on D-Day minus one (June 5th, 1944), with the orders, â Å“"The 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion was to land one hour in advance of the rest of the brigade in order to secure the dropping zone (DZ) and capture the enemy headquarters known to be located on the DZ. Thereafter there are to destroy road bridges over the River Dives and its tributaries at Varaville, then neutralize the strong points on the cross roads."  "In addition the Canadians were to protect the left (southern) flank of the 9th Battalion during that battalion's attack on the Meriville Battery, and then seize and hold a position astride the Le Mesnil cross roads, a vital strategic position at the centre of the ridge."  Their next operation involved a short stint in Belgium and the Netherlands as reinforcements, the airborne crossing of the Rhine and the final advance to Wismar, Germany. In fact, some recon members from the unit were the first people into Hitler's â Å“Fortress Europeâ ?, landing a full 3.5 hours ahead of the main group of paratroops. Paratroops are effective, because they can be placed behind enemy lines, and have an ability to deploy almost anywhere with very little warning. Today's two American Airborne Divisions, the 82nd and the 101st can deploy anywhere in the world within 72 hours. The U.S. Army Rangers are trained to capture any airport on Earth in 24 hours. The size of an airborne assault is limited only by the number of aircraft available. So, given enough capacity, a huge force can develop in a matter of minutes. This action is referred to as vertical envelopment - a technique practiced in the D-Day landing, and OPERATION Market Garden.
In World War Two, it was difficult to even dissociate between the regular and militia Canadian troops, and the â Å“eliteâ ? special forces (1SSF, and the 1sCPB). It is generally agreed that Canadian troops were the best-trained and most effective Allied infantry units of World War 2. Many would ask the question, why were Canadians so much better, or different than American or British troops? The answer is a complex one with a variety of reasons. First, the Canadian troops were the first and only Allied troops in England from 1939 to 1942 besides a small number of British troops. Therefore, they were able to go through the best, and most intensive training of all troops in World War Two, as the British drill instructors in England, especially from Sandhurst and in Scotland at Achnacarry, were very fine. Canadian troops prepared and trained for D-Day for well over three years, compared to the year or less for the Americans. Canadian officers were also very capable and creative in their training techniques, a quality that was lacking in many of the other Allied units. Canadian officers adapted their methods, and developed new ones when approaching the tactics of this completely different style of warfare developed in World War Two. Another reason may lie within the general Canadian spirit, their esprit du corps. The stereotypical Englishman is an arrogant, yet noble fellow; the American is greedy, rough, and dogged. The Canadian was the best of both worlds. Canadians in the time of World War Two maintained the cheerful British quality, and the strong feeling of patriotism towards England. Canadian schoolchildren had been taught that their duty lay with England, thus the Canadians were able to adapt to the British way of life much better than the Americans. Canadians, especially from the prairies, as well took the American steadfastness, drive, and general physical condition. Also, all of the Canadian infantrymen were volunteers (notwithstanding a brief period of conscription in 1944). The difference between the morale and enthusiasm of a conscripted man, and a volunteer is immense. Canadian soldiers always seemed to operate well, even against the toughest of objectives. Although the Dieppe raid was a disaster for the Canadians (though a strategic success), no other army in the world could have done as well under the same conditions . The Regina Rifles were able to break through their section of the beach, and the Cameron Highlanders of Winnipeg did complete some of their objectives. The Germans held the Canadians in such high regard that they always transferred their best units to fight against the Canadians. On D-Day and in the months to come, the Germans sent the 12 S.S. Division (Hitler Jugend) against the Canadians.  In Sicily, the Germans sent the Herman Goering Division to fight the Canadians . Even against these extremely well-trained divisions the Canadians fared well and pushed forward further than all others. In fact, the Canadians fought so fiercely against the 12 S.S that this division was completely destroyed in Normandy. The Canadians were employed as the shock troops in virtually all the important offence manouveres in the Normandy Campaign, and were the troops who successfully allowed the closing of the Trun/Falaise gap, thus ending the Normandy campaign and capturing thousands of Germans.
Canada's infantry-it's regulars, militia, paratroops, and special service force, were very well utilized as light infantry and commandos in the fight against the Third Reich, and were important to the final victory of World War Two. The Canadian level of training, and their esprit du corps led to great victories for the Allied cause. The Canadians were regarded with great respect amoung the Germans, and the Germans sent their very best soldiers against the Canadians. Whether it was due to overpowering air and artillery support, or just plain tenaciousness of the Canadian infantry, - the people diving in the mud, and fiercely fighting the â Å“Hunâ ? with rifles, machine guns, grenades, bazookas, bayonets, and even fists - it is a fact that the Canadians were men who accomplished their missions with great honour and distinction. David Lloyd George, a great British statesman, once said, â Å“Whenever the Germans found the Canadian Corps coming into the line, they prepared for the worst.â ?  Indeed, the Canadians were the best of the best!
If you guys wanna see my english shit, go ahead, i'll email tons of my essays. Now go screw off please.
Phil

O and one other point
for the person who wuz talkin about the iq of dickens et all. That is complete bullshit, at that time in history they couldnt possibly have measured iq. Besides the fact that when they first developed the iq test that we use, his brain had already dissolved from time and bacteria

This leads me to a question:  If you're such a genius, why do you want to be a "probable dumbass" soldier like us?  If I were nearly as brilliant as you are, especially at 16.5 years of age, I'd be waiting for NASA to hire me while I still know everything.

Bfalcon, get over yourself. No one cares about you or your stupid essays, or your IQ, or anything else. Just another face in a sea of people who think they're special.

I would think someone as "smart" as you wouldn't be asking these types of questions:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31704.from1118808076/topicseen.html#msg226927

Took me 5 seconds to figure mine out, what with my meager IQ and all.

I'm actually serious bout that, don't have the foggiest notion how to do it, they haven't shown us and the only damned websites have been american ones where there is a liner and sum different flash. my beret has not liner, its just fuzz on both sides

Hey Falcon, I understand it is easier to use abbreviations, but you have to remember a lot of these guys who can help you aren't 17,they are older than us and quite possibly don't know what you are saying. Check over the guidelines for this site and start using proper grammer.Most of us are representations of the CF and this site is frequently visited by the media, so in our best intrest exercise your superior IQ and we'll be able to help you out with anything.  :salute:

BFalcon STOP using cyberspeak! This will be your only freebie.

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, the â Å“Desert Foxâ ? once said, â Å“Give me American supply lines, British planes, German officers and Canadian troops, I could take over the world.â ? 

You know this has been talked about before and no one has ever been able to provide a source.  ::)

Back