• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve BMQ

To the best of my knowledge, there are no full time reserve BMQs scheduled for this summer. all BMQ in Ontario reserve units are being run as decentralized weekend courses. Normally several units will get together with enough candidates and instructors to run one, and will then do so.

SQ this summer is being run in Meaford. There are twelve courses being run in Meaford, in three sessions- 19 May to 26 June, 22 June to 31 July, and 27 July to 5 September.

As best as I can determine, reserve Artillery courses are being run in Sault St. Marie this summer. There are four DP1 courses in two sessions, one from 22 June to 31 July, and one from 27 July to 5 September.

This information is drawn from the LFCA reserve summer tasking matrix for instructor and support positions, so courses may actually start a few days later than the start dates listed, and may end a few days sooner. I'm not certain about that. This information is as of about a week ago, and is subject to change.

If you aren't already loaded on a BMQ, you might be screwed for the summer unless the unit you join is getting something together unusually late. Most weekend BMQs start in either September or February. I would talk to them right away.

Brihard said:
SQ this summer is being run in Meaford. There are twelve courses being run in Meaford, in three sessions- 19 May to 26 June, 22 June to 31 July, and 27 July to 5 September.

As best as I can determine, reserve Artillery courses are being run in Sault St. Marie this summer. There are four DP1 courses in two sessions, one from 22 June to 31 July, and one from 27 July to 5 September.

This information is drawn from the LFCA reserve summer tasking matrix for instructor and support positions, so courses may actually start a few days later than the start dates listed, and may end a few days sooner. I'm not certain about that. This information is as of about a week ago, and is subject to change.

Absolutely BRILLIANT!

Once again someone has pulled dates out of their a__ head without any thought as to when the SCHOOLS and Universities start their classes.  I highly doubt any BMQ or DP1 course ending on 5 Sep will be loaded, let alone staffed.  If one looks at when universities start their Registration Weeks and the other School Systems start their classes, any course that is running much past the middle of August is doomed to failure. 

This will result in many more Recruits taking up to twice as long to get into Trades Trg, and double the time that some Trades require to get trained pers to augment the Reg Force if needed. 

Zombie said:
Just out of curiosity how do people with full-time jobs work in a full-time course in the summer? I always thought reserve courses were on weekends.

Quite a few actually.  That is why many Reserve courses are scheduled within the 30 day (1 month) timeframe, to accommodate people with full-time employment and a maximum of four weeks annual leave.  Job legislation has helped many to continue in the Reserves and keep their civilian employment.  This doesn't only apply to Recruits and Students on the Crses, but to the Staff.

For the most part, though, Reserve trg is geared around Students.  This is OK if there are still enough "Students" qualified as Instructors to instruct "Students" who are recruits.  Once a student graduates and finds full time employment, problems arise as to their availability to attend Career Crses. 

The Reserve Trg System must improve and plan further ahead, as many Professional people in civilian jobs have to plan their "vacation time" up to a year in advance in order to attend Reserve Trg.  Last minute creation and announcements of courses are not good for morale and causes retention issues. 

George Wallace said:
Absolutely BRILLIANT!

Once again someone has pulled dates out of their a__ head without any thought as to when the SCHOOLS and Universities start their classes.  I highly doubt any BMQ or DP1 course ending on 5 Sep will be loaded, let alone staffed.  If one looks at when universities start their Registration Weeks and the other School Systems start their classes, any course that is running much past the middle of August is doomed to failure. 

This will result in many more Recruits taking up to twice as long to get into Trades Trg, and double the time that some Trades require to get trained pers to augment the Reg Force if needed. 
Sep 1 is on a Tuesday this year, pushing Labour Day to Sep 7 (and schools begin classes after Labour Day), so it won't be a problem. University of Toronto, for one, will begin classes on Sep 9th.

Registration for courses tend to take place online well before September anyway.

Stupor said:
Sep 1 is on a Tuesday this year, pushing Labour Day to Sep 7 (and schools begin classes after Labour Day), so it won't be a problem. University of Toronto, for one, will begin classes on Sep 9th.

Registration for courses tend to take place online well before September anyway.

OK.  Classes start on Wed 9 Sep 2009 at that university.  What about the other universities, colleges and High Schools?  Students just don't start Classes one day out of the blue.  They have to have places to live; then move into those residences.  They have to purchase Course materials.  New Students have an Orientation Week. 

If you look at that crse, it straddles two Stat Holidays.  That alone is a disruptive factor for a crse.  Slow to start and slow to finish.

Brihard said:
To the best of my knowledge, there are no full time reserve BMQs scheduled for this summer. all BMQ in Ontario reserve units are being run as decentralized weekend courses. Normally several units will get together with enough candidates and instructors to run one, and will then do so.

If you aren't already loaded on a BMQ, you might be screwed for the summer unless the unit you join is getting something together unusually late. Most weekend BMQs start in either September or February. I would talk to them right away.

From the National Calendar the actual dates for the DP1 ARTY are:

DP1 Arty  SSMarie 30-Jun-09 24-Jul-09
DP1 Arty  SSMarie 30-Jun-09 24-Jul-09
DP1 Arty  SSMarie 3-Aug-09 28-Aug-09
DP1 Arty  SSMarie 3-Aug-09 28-Aug-09

Each course is 20 training days.

So there appears to be no conflict with schooling.

Again from the Nation Calendar the actual SQ Dates:

PRES SQ Meaford 1-Jun-09 30-Jun-09
PRES SQ Meaford 2-Jul-09             31-Jul-09
PRES SQ Meaford 2-Jul-09 31-Jul-09
PRES SQ Meaford 4-Aug-09 3-Sep-09

Each course is 22 training days long

Task briques for course staff usually include extra time on both ends of the course, so a task brique and a course calendar will not always match up. They are both right, but they deal with different things (one for staff and one for students) and hence will have different dates.

It has been a while since I worked in the reserve summer course scheduling world (last time was 2001), but I imagine that the guys today go through the same process that we did. We looked at school start/end dates and certainly tried to shoehorn the training into the appropriate time blocks. You might not be able to accomodate everybody, but at least it seems that a variety of slots are being offered which demonstrates to me that some thought has gone into it.

This may sound like motherhood, but I recommend that people rely on their unit Ops/Training cell for course and tasking dates when making plans.

T2B you are correct, as a Sect Comd I asked  the fol to my troops:

1. When does your particular school/college/university end for the summer
2. What is the earliest date you can work, also what is the last date you can work
3. What course(s) you want
4. Want any extra work (but Career Course take pri)

When I get all that info, I show them the course brick and tell them based on the dates you gave me I can slot you for the fol course dates.

Then I send all info off to my Sgt Maj/Trg MWO.

EDITED TO ADD

Like T2B said most of the time we try to tailor the course bricks to work to the advantage of the troops in school/college/university but that is not always the case.

The extra days for staff are for the issue and return of stores and any other course admin they have to do.

George Wallace said:
OK.  Classes start on Wed 9 Sep 2009 at that university.  What about the other universities, colleges and High Schools?  Students just don't start Classes one day out of the blue.  They have to have places to live; then move into those residences.  They have to purchase Course materials.  New Students have an Orientation Week. 

If you look at that crse, it straddles two Stat Holidays.  That alone is a disruptive factor for a crse.  Slow to start and slow to finish.
Queen's starts on the 14th, Western and Ottawa on the 9th; I didn't bother looking up any other start date, but they are probably after Labour Day as well. You are right that the course dates aren't ideal, but it's not that different from any other year in which courses/Maple Guardian/Vigilant Guardian have ended in late August (and straddled 1 Aug). Student reservist deal with it by moving in late, giving up part/all of orientation, etc, which we are willing to do, as long as we don't have to miss the actual start of class, which in this case we won't.

Anyway, from the looks of the the actual schedule posted by NFLD Sapper, it looks like there will be a few extra days for student to prepare for back-to-school stuff after both the DP1/SQ in August.

I'd like to know where he got his links, as mine lead to a database that has not been updated past 2008, and even access from the Meaford site, I land up with the same outdated info.  Sometimes it really sucks using the DND search engines.............worse than the army.ca one.

There is one on the internet at Useful Links for Training -> •Army Individual Training Calendar

USE THE ABOVE AT YOUR OWN RISK AS CONTENTS MAY CHANGE, CHECK WITH YOUR COC FOR COURSE OFFERINGS

I will attempt to get you the DIN link tomorrow night if you want George.

And the one from the internet syncs up with the course brick I got from CFSME wrt to Engineer courses

EDITED TO ADD DISCLAIMER

As for the DIN Site  I believe its something like:

Main Gagetown Site -> CTC SCHOOLS -> CALENDARS (or TRG) -> 09/10

Stupor said:
Are you moving to Toronto for school? The commute to a parade night would be kind of difficult otherwise...if it's artillery you want, both 56th Field Regiment (St Catherines + Brantford) and 11th Field Regiment (Hamilton + Guelph) are closer to Niagara Falls.

nah, i heard of the 56th regiment, never knew it was that close to me tho, thanks dude
11th is pretty close, too, ill look into them
thanks for the help.

Thanks for the more precise dates. All I had to go on was the instructors' tasking brique. Hopefully that helps this guy out.

7RCA said:
nah, i heard of the 56th regiment, never knew it was that close to me tho, thanks dude
11th is pretty close, too, ill look into them
thanks for the help.

I strongly recomend 11 FD if they are close to you.  Very solid unit.

Yeah, but i was looking into the 56 FD regiment, because the 10 battery is in St.Catharines and thats like 20mins from my house lol

7RCA said:
Yeah, but i was looking into the 56 FD regiment, because the 10 battery is in St.Catharines and thats like 20mins from my house lol

Well in that case 11 FD is not very close at all..

hah yeah
do u know of any1 in the 56FD regiment?
if so, do they like it?

7RCA said:
hah yeah
do u know of any1 in the 56FD regiment?
if so, do they like it?

The only thing I will say in responce to that is 11 FD is a very solid unit.  You will have to infer the rest.

Back