• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve DEO Questions

What would give me a better experience.

That depends.  In your first three years in the Military, do you want to lead or be led?

MikeM said:
You can't get a degree from a college.. do you mean a diploma? Or do you mean a degree from a university?.

Also, upon entering the Canadian Forces as an officer, you will start at the rank of Officer Cadet. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

You can get degrees from Colleges...  They're just applied degrees, and the CF takes them at par.

Also, I was under the impression that you start as an OCdt, then after the 7 week IAP you are commissioned as an acting 2Lt, until you complete BOTC & language, then 2Lt and your posting.  Could be wrong though...  (DEO)

T

In the Reserves, specifically Log, you can get commissioned without any training.

I was told by 2 recruiters at the CFRC Vancouver that you need chem or phys and math 12 along with the degree to go infantry officer. Also to clear some things up in B.C when I graduated high school in 1995 you needed to have math 11 and a science twelve in order to graduate. SFU, BCOU my school, UNBC, UVIC, AND UBC ask for math 11 and English twelve if you are going for an BA degree Soci, Crim, Political sciences etc. Other provinces have different requirements. You can also do four years at Capilano College in North Vancouver an earn a full degree in BUSINES ADMIN, OR MUSIC the degree is granted through the British Columbia Open University. University-Colleges this last year also grant full degrees and applied. For example, Kwantlen offers a degree in applied psychology as well as a degree in psychology and history as of last year. If you are like me and work full time and you have to discipline get your degree through correspondence through the BCOU soon to amalgamate with UCC to form BC's newest full university THOMPSON RIVERS UNIVERSITY in April 2005. Anyways, I was shown the recruiters manual by a 2Lt and in it it states that they want a well rounded officer so Math 12 Chem or phys is a go. Go down to the CFRC Vancouver and go upstairs to processing and ask to see this book to satisfy your curiosity. :)

What you need to do is ask yourself this question: If money is not a concern, would you still join the CF as an NCM?

If you answer 'no' because you think that such a role is beneath you, than you should look for employment elsewhere. The simple fact is this: if you think NCMs are beneath you, than you have no right leading them in battle -- and that's what this job is all about.

My humble opinion, that's all.

Well said, argylls recruiting. Well said. Now-about Res officers needing a degree(as one poster mentioned)-since when has this been a requirement? Maybe I'm out of the loop. (well....probably) Cheers.

Well thanks guys you've helped me make up my mind.

I think  I'll start from the bottom.

Some people prefer starting as a follower and working their way into a leadership position, others want to start in the middle.  There is always the opportunity for you to move upward depending on your ability and ambition.  I have met all kinds of leaders in the CF, Officers and NCMs some with degrees and some without, some were good and some were not.  You are the best judge of where you should start.

argylls_recruiting said:
I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I believe pers entering the RegF as a DEO are given the rank of 2Lt immediately upon enrollment.

I don't believe that's true. From my own experience, a friend of mine on IAP this past summer was DEO (Originally ROTP, then got switched to DEO) and she wasn't promoted(she was just an OCdt like the rest of us).  I'm pretty sure that for Reg Force DEO you get commisioned after you finish BOTC (IAP and BOTP).

william: good luck!

Hey CF personnel and hopefuls!

I want to apply via DEO to the queens york rangers, is this possible? if not are there any reserve companies, brigades, etc. or what have you that do accept DEO applications?

thank you very much for your time and wish everyone luck in April when positions start to open up (yay for random start of fiscal year!)

You've been on this site since 2009.  I'm pretty sure you know about the search function.  I'm also sure that you've had your grammar, punctuation, capitalization, etc remarked upon as well.

If you are serious about applying for DEO, I suggest you start using your initiative to seek the answers you need.

For a start:  http://www.qyrang.ca/contact/

I did the search. I use forums for research so I can be informed when I do speak with the recruiter at the specific unit.

I have taken initiative in applying to the CF, hence being on this forum since 2009, this is me looking for answers. I don't mean to be a dick, but it is a waste of time to reply to a question by complaining about someone's grammar. I generally want an answer, because most people on here would know the answer.

I understand why people get annoyed over bad grammar and spelling, as I do when I get some emails from customers or suppliers at work. But this is not work, its an online forum.

darwin said:
I have taken initiative in applying to the CF, hence being on this forum since 2009, this is me looking for answers. I don't mean to be a dick, but it is a waste of time to reply to a question by complaining about someone's grammar. I generally want an answer, because most people on here would know the answer.

The only one who would know the answer to your question for sure, is the recruiter at the unit.  I provided you the contact info.  I've looked at your posting history and don't see much initiative.  You've wavered around Reg and Res, the Navy, MPO and Int O, and of course, your first post asking if you could pull your application at the last minute.

darwin said:
I understand why people get annoyed over bad grammar and spelling, as I do when I get some emails from customers or suppliers at work. But this is not work, its an online forum.

So you've read the Conduct Guidelines, right?

Please use English or French to the best of your ability

As Good2Golf (Moderator) stated to you in July of 2009:

Darwin, the problem here is that we could ask you, "Well, when would you put emphasis on grammar, or punctuation?"

In the Canadian Forces, you will be expected to communicate effectively and professionally.  Communication is incredibly important in military affairs and professionalism in its execution is a mark of the calibre of the men and women that serve in the military.  No, not everyone is a laureate; however, we all try to be clear, concise and accurate, both in our written and verbal communication.

By fobbing off grammar and punctuation as not necessary in a forum, you rob yourself of the opportunity to better your communication skills.  To do so also gives folks reason to wonder what other efforts are not being made for your own convenience.

darwin said:
I did the search. I use forums for research so I can be informed when I do speak with the recruiter at the specific unit.

Have you given any thought to the fact that your poor use of English, and that of so many others, makes a SEARCH next to impossible as incorrectly spelled words will not bring results? 

You have been informed many times now as to why we expect you to start your "professional" training now, and learn to correctly use good writing skills to communicate.  You will need them in your future in the CF if you do have one; and it helps us to easily SEARCH more accurately here on this site.

Yes you can apply as a DEO provided that you have completed a university degree.  I dont know which units are looking for guys, you will have to contact them directly.  Go visit them on a parade night and ask to talk to a recruiter.

Good afternoon,

2 part question:

1st part;

I recently enrolled as an Armour Officer with the local reserve unit and was under the impression I was to start at the 2Lt rank.

However, I am a OCdt.

Some of my fellow officers seem to think this is a mistake.

I am starting my BMOQ next month and wanted to know if I and my fellow officers are correct in my rank designation to be 2Lt? And if so what is the way forward to getting this corrected?

Background:
I have a Bachelor of Science honours and a Bachelor of Applied Technology honours.

I have my bilingual EEE designation.

Any insight is appreciated.

2nd part;

What should my career training/crouse progression be as an armour officer? Which courses should I be taking and in what sequence (BMOQ, ROTP, CAP)?

First question is; "some of my fellow officers seem to think this is a mistake" are your peers and not more senior?

Second question is: What previous military experience do you have?

As a Reservist, with no military experience, you will most likely be enrolled as an OCdt.  On successful completion of your BMOQ (and CAP) you would then be promoted 2 Lt and then onto your Armour Crses.  Once you have successfully passed the crses to make you a Troop Ldr, you would become a Lt.    Armour is not one of the occupations like the special occupations of Lawyer or Doctor, that would give you special compensation for holding a relevant Degree.

Times have changed quite a bit since I did ROUTP, and the Crses have changed as have their names dozens of times since.  In those days, one was an OCdt and went on a twelve week Phase 1 (now the first two phases of BMOQ, I believe) to be promoted 2 LT.  Twelve weeks of Phase II qualified you LT.  Phase II ROUTP became Phase II and Phase III RESO.  Phase IV RESO qualified you to Capt.  Many courses have come and gone under the bridge and many name changes have happened. 

As I am only an anonymous entity on the internet, check with the OR in the Queen Charlotte Armoury and verify what Pay you are receiving.  That will give you your answer.  If not satisfied, request a conversation with the OC of A Sqn or the CO as to what rank they accepted you into the unit as. 

Approximately what you can expect (as crses are constantly changing):
As an Armour Reservist you will be required to do the two parts of BMOQ, CAP and then the Armour Phase Crses.  BMOQ is two parts of two weeks each.  CAP has had its name changed, but it is broken down into five modules of two weeks each.  Your Armour Crses will be twelve weeks long. 

DEO is commonly understood to pertain to civilian professions that are directly employable by the CF with little in the way of training. Think MD, Nurse, Physio etc. Perhaps this is part of where your misunderstanding comes from . The rest, as laid out by George is correct.

Should be pretty much the same thing for both Reg Force and Reserve so no its not a mistake that you were entered in as an officer Cadet.  You don't make 2Lt until you successfully complete BMOQ.  That is what I was told multiple times while applying for DEO Regular force

George Wallace said:
First question is; "some of my fellow officers seem to think this is a mistake" are your peers and not more senior?

Second question is: What previous military experience do you have?

As a Reservist, with no military experience, you will most likely be enrolled as an OCdt.  On successful completion of your BMOQ (and CAP) you would then be promoted 2 Lt and then onto your Armour Crses.  Once you have successfully passed the crses to make you a Troop Ldr, you would become a Lt.    Armour is not one of the occupations like the special occupations of Lawyer or Doctor, that would give you special compensation for holding a relevant Degree.

Times have changed quite a bit since I did ROUTP, and the Crses have changed as have their names dozens of times since.  In those days, one was an OCdt and went on a twelve week Phase 1 (now the first two phases of BMOQ, I believe) to be promoted 2 LT.  Twelve weeks of Phase II qualified you LT.  Phase II ROUTP became Phase II and Phase III RESO.  Phase IV RESO qualified you to Capt.  Many courses have come and gone under the bridge and many name changes have happened. 

As I am only an anonymous entity on the internet, check with the OR in the Queen Charlotte Armoury and verify what Pay you are receiving.  That will give you your answer.  If not satisfied, request a conversation with the OC of A Sqn or the CO as to what rank they accepted you into the unit as. 

Approximately what you can expect (as crses are constantly changing):
As an Armour Reservist you will be required to do the two parts of BMOQ, CAP and then the Armour Phase Crses.  BMOQ is two parts of two weeks each.  CAP has had its name changed, but it is broken down into five modules of two weeks each.  Your Armour Crses will be twelve weeks long.

Thank you for your quick answer.

First question, yes these are peers, junior officers. To me it makes no difference, whether I am OCdt or 2Lt or Lt, I am eager and willing to go through the paces I require to get there.

Second, I have no experience in the military apart from when I worked as a civilian (for half a decade for DND) in Logisitics, Fleet Maintenance and Construction Engineering divisions.

Back