• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements

Greetings for a sunny but wet day here on the east coast of Queensland in Australia.

A plan does exist for the AABC countries to do this 'exchange' (there is an actual agreement between nations --- try doing a search for this on here as I am sure thats where I read it), best suited for those who would be temporary in Australia, that being for study or employment, etc. However if you are moving to Australia, best to do a lateral transfer and come a board that way.

Plenty of 'Choco' (Army Reseve) units in Sydney. Pretty much all the basic Corps and Combat Arms such as Inf, Engr, and Arty. Armd lost their M113s, trading them in for 6x6 recce vehicles. There is CSS, thats 5 CSSB  (like a Svc Bn - huge and a mass of confusion), plus many units will have their own sub-CSS atts, such as Tpt, Medics, Sigs, RAEME etc.

Try www.defencejobs.gov.au for starters.

Good luck,

OWDU

EDIT: Do you know what suburb you will be living in? Sydney is huge pretty much 100km x 80km rectangle of a ratsnest full of angry unfriendly people, and traffic does NOT move well. I lived there for 10 yrs (at Cronulla) before coming here to Queensland.

If you want, PM me and I will get you some direct telephone numbers for recruitment, so you can ring direct if you go the recruitment angle. Time is Z+10 here (AEST).

Since you are Infantry there is 1/19 RNSWR at Sutherland, 4/3 RNSWR at Holsworthy, 1 Cdo Reg't at the northern subs, and Sydney University Reg't (SUR) near Randwick. There is more. Try googling these and see what you get. I can then get the phone number for that Trg WO from a unit you choose.

I do beleive that 4/3 also has a Coy at a MUD (Multi User Depot) in Kogorah, sharing with a RAA unit, and also a Coy in Sutherland at another MUD, 2/17 still might be operating out of 8 Bde's Timor Bks off Kissing Pt Rd in Dundas.  Hope this helps.

The MoU with the UK is a start point: http://www.vcds-vcemd.forces.gc.ca/dres/pb/nm-npe/index-eng.asp

As long as your current unit is willing to pay you abroad there shouldn't be a problem - there have been Canadian Reservists in Australia before under similar circumstances.

We do have an Reserve MOU with Australia with a date of 20 Jun 07.  It is located on the Intranet here:  http://vcds.mil.ca/cres_cdt/dres/00native/Australia-Canada-RFFSA-MOU_e.pdf 

Even if it seems like a challange mate, could i VERY strongly suggest that you follow this up as hard as you can?
I did it the other way around, although i was a Reservist on full time service, and absolutely loved my time in Canada back in '06. I see it as one of the defining periods of my life and it helped me fall even furthur in love with the Army. I loved every minute i was over there for and would do it again in an instant.
Even though your a dirty grunt, our grunt choco's do some pretty great stuff and get some really good training done. You'd find it a huge eye opener (The aussie bush will blow your MIND) and you'll hopefully go home with a F88 Steyr Qualifcation which is always a good talking point.
Goodluck mate and PLEASE, work your arse off to get this, you wont regret it.

do you think I'll be able to go on any ADF courses down there?

What sort of courses are you talking about? (By the way, they're Army courses, we're not amalgated like your CF). Keep in mind you'll be attached to the Reserves where things are a little more lax then their Regular brothers, having said that though, you probably wont be sent away for an Army Junior leaders course or something flash like that. You might, depending on how its being run, get onto a support company course, like mortars, recon or the like. You'd have to show people that your a clever type of chap though and that you deserve it.
You'd definately be able to get out into the bush for a bush exercise.
All this can only happen if you get a good regiment or battalion and if they're doing things at that time.

EDIT to add, if your over when they've got a range shoot you will more then likely get taught the Steyr and the Minimi and get weapon qual's too

Sounds good to me! Is there any particularly good regiment/company in or around Sydney that stands out?

Your best bet, i reckon, is to research it on the internet. But if you could arrange it, you could do a lot worse then go to the 1 Commando. They're Reserves but from what i've heard they're very good. Email people though, chase it up and make some calls. Thats your best bet.

You know, even though it's expensive I've known a lot of people go over to AUS to study something.  For me it would be a dream come true.  I always wanted to go to AUS plus the Aussie Army are PRO.

Wonder if the British Army Res do something like this as well.

yeah, it'd be nice to get my aussie wings while I'm down there too! wonder if I could get some jumps in with those boys (probably wishful thinking) ::)

GUNN said:
yeah, it'd be nice to get my aussie wings while I'm down there too! wonder if I could get some jumps in with those boys (probably wishful thinking) ::)
A friend of mine who went ROTP got Dutch para wings somehow.

So who knows.

CDN Aviator said:
What are we ? Chopped liver ?
Far from it.....I love being in the CF. I belong to Canada and that's that, never want it otherwise. My favorite outfit is Canada's uniform, I still look forward to wearing it after three years. 

Our guys beat the USMC Sniper record. JTF2 is world renowned as a versatile, and downright fearsome special forces unit. VIMY RIDGE. The list goes on. We have many things to be proud of.

But if there was an army I would do exchange with, it'd easily be the Aussies if not the Brits. We're pro, all I'm saying, those guys are real pro as well.

Hi all,

Having been in the Canadian Army in the 80's and then joining up  in 2000 down here first in the reserves and now the regs, i can put in my 5 cents. (we don't use any cents less than 5 as we round up or down)

The traditions are very similar and the method of operations is similar.  Back in the 80s we used to do Tues & Thurs nights and several weekends a month (continual NTD / TQ1 Drivers Cses).  Here it is one night a week and generally lucky to get a weekend and forget the long weekends we never got back in Canada.  They don't tend to run Cses during the training tear (at least not in my experience. 

Sydney depending on where you are living and where you are parading could be a cut lunch apart. 

I'm Loving it in the Aussie Army.

Downunder

Dont think for a moment that the Australian Army is worlds apart from the Canadian or that we're somehow more professional then you. I'd argue, as someone who's seen boths sides (if only for 6 Canadian months) that the opposite is true. Unlike your Reserves, ours dont get the opportunity anymore to go overseas with the Reg's. My thoughts in Canada were that the Canadian Army, due to the amounts of troops you've lost in Afghan, has a mind more set for war fighting and is a Army at war. The Australian Army simply isnt. Until recently the casualties we've had have been, with a couple of exceptions, SF. So dont think you'll be rocking up to a JTFninjasnipercamp full of the War-riest people you've ever met. We're just anothing Army, like yours, but that hasnt experienced the same War that you have.

This thread has reared itself at an amost ideal point in my life:
I've been offered a job in Edmonton for 2011. I am currently and ADF MO (Anaesthetist). I am interested in obtaining any contact details for the medical detachment in the area (15 Medical Company). According to the Memorandum of Understanding between Australia and Canada, I can parade with a CF Unit and not jeopardise my ADF service. I need a sympathetic unit in Canada and one here in Australia who is willing to support my application.
I have ben to, and perused, the 15 Med Coy webpage via the DND portal, but I am most interested in anyone can point me towards the contact details (email would be nice) for the Adjudant or clerks. I have the luxury of over 12 months until I start my new job.
Thank you in advance, hoping somone can help.
David

Hi guys,

I don't really know where to put this so I will give recruiting a crack!

Just to be clear, I don't want to join, just be attached to.

I am a 23 year old 6 year Australian Reserve Soldier in the Royal Australian Army Medical Corps. This year I am back at uni studying Commerce at the University of Adelaide and next year, most likely semester 2 (later half of the year) I will be studying overseas. It's a little while away but just in case it turns out to be early 2011 I want to cover all the bases as I would have to apply in a couple months.

At one point I only really wanted to study in the US but since then I was reminded of the MoU between our countries. This would definitely change my mind and the UK is out as it's just to damn expensive and ever since they were gifted the Ashes back they have been unbearable.

Of course I will be going through my CoC but what am I looking out for and what should I do to improve my chances?

Any info at all or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

macattack said:
Hi guys,

I don't really know where to put this so I will give recruiting a crack!

Just to be clear, I don't want to join, just be attached to.

I am a 23 year old 6 year Australian Reserve Soldier in the Royal Australian Army Medical Corps. This year I am back at uni studying Commerce at the University of Adelaide and next year, most likely semester 2 (later half of the year) I will be studying overseas. It's a little while away but just in case it turns out to be early 2011 I want to cover all the bases as I would have to apply in a couple months.

At one point I only really wanted to study in the US but since then I was reminded of the MoU between our countries. This would definitely change my mind and the UK is out as it's just to damn expensive and ever since they were gifted the Ashes back they have been unbearable.

Of course I will be going through my CoC but what am I looking out for and what should I do to improve my chances?

Any info at all or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

What city are you going to? There's an Aussie Captain I met on Remembrance Day who's doing this with the Loyal Edmonton Regiment.

RN or MD? I worked with a trauma doc a couple years ago who was doing the same(ish) thing. Oz to Canada. I may be able to find a name if it would help.

No personal experience, but I do remember reading this article:

http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/new-sp/bp/2010-04-eng.asp

International and Bilateral Support for Reservists

How often have we heard of a Reservist having to make a decision to abandon or defer his or her military career in order to accept a transfer, secondment or assignment out of Canada? Or of a student Reservist leaving the unit to attend a foreign university? Now there is a mechanism in place to support these Reservists, who move temporarily to the United States, Australia or the United Kingdom. As a result, a number of Reservists each year will not have to make a choice between a military career and a civilian career.

Under the auspices of the Reserve Force Training Program (RFTP), Canada has recently signed bilateral Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) with Australia and the United Kingdom. On January 31, 2010, the Chief Reserves and Cadets and the American Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs signed an MOU at NATO Headquarters in Brussels, to implement the RFTP between Canada and the United States. The United Kingdom and Australia have a similar arrangement in place. It is also possible that these MOU will serve as models for other bilateral or multi-lateral arrangements amongst member nations of NATO and / or within the ABCA community of Australia, Britain, Canada, the United States and New Zealand.

The Canada-US MOU permits selected Reservists, who are temporary residents of either nation and who are qualified in their military occupation, to undertake a Reserve assignment or to participate in training with the other country. The RFTP will also maintain an active relationship between Canadian and American Reserve components, and will in the long term permit a greater understanding between the Reserve Forces and increased inter-operability. These aims are similar to those of Canada’s MOUs with the United Kingdom and Australia, and that between Australia and the United Kingdom, and Australia and New Zealand.

The key to the arrangements of the MOU is that the Reservist remains under the administrative and disciplinary control of his or her parent Reserve unit, and is therefore entitled to all national pay, allowances and benefits as if he or she were serving at home. The host country will pay travel and other costs associated with unit training. The hosting military will cover the costs of emergency medical or dental treatment for an injury sustained while on duty in the foreign country, while the home country will assume liability for long-term care resulting from such an injury.

Clearly there are benefits from the RFTP to be realised by both the Reservist and by the two Reserve Forces. The Reservist has the opportunity to continue a military career and not sacrifice one career for the other. In addition, the Reservist can learn how an allied military works, acquire new skills and gain new military experiences. The sending country benefits by not losing a trained Reservist, and in the longer term, gets back a more rounded individual. The gaining country also benefits from having a qualified service member who can bring a new perspective to the unit. This spirit of international co-operation is therefore most decidedly a win-win situation.

I guess it would help to know which unit you want to train with. Health Services Primary Reserve Units

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Back