• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Pilot Tac Hel Req

UB6IB9

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

Before anyone goes off on me, I did do a search and could not find the info. I know that to be a CF pilot you need 20/20 uncorrected..no contacts, laser ect. I was told laser is a no no because of the eject forces on the eye when in primary. But what about Tac Hel in the reserves.  If a reserve Tac Hel unit takes you on (considering you have a Helicopter CPL and 300 TT) ...they're not going to train you on the harvard. Just the Jet Ranger and than the Griffon. So has anyone heard of guys going into a reserve Tac Hel unit with corrective vison....mostly laser in my case? I'm thinking no...but I just wanted to ask anyways.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

UB6 said:
Hey,

Before anyone goes off on me, I did do a search and could not find the info. I know that to be a CF pilot you need 20/20 uncorrected..no contacts, laser ect. I was told laser is a no no because of the eject forces on the eye when in primary. But what about Tac Hel in the reserves.   If a reserve Tac Hel unit takes you on (considering you have a Helicopter CPL and 300 TT) ...they're not going to train you on the harvard. Just the Jet Ranger and than the Griffon. So has anyone heard of guys going into a reserve Tac Hel unit with corrective vison....mostly laser in my case? I'm thinking no...but I just wanted to ask anyways.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

20/20 uncorrected vision, reserve or not..its all the same.  Doest matter what you are going to fly.  Laser eye surgery is NO GO in the CF for pilots.......

aesop081 said:
20/20 uncorrected vision, reserve or not..its all the same.   Doest matter what you are going to fly.   Laser eye surgery is NO GO in the CF for pilots.......

Not exactly correct - see the requirements for the "Helicop" program (reserve only, Griffon only) - vision requirement is NOT V1 for that program.

Don't have the time to quote all the details/sources but the bottom line is that the Helicop (and, incidentally, CCEP) vision requirements are V2 with NO refractive standards being applicable (unlike the "regular" V2).  Correction (with glasses/contacts) IS allowed.

The vision reqs are fairly clearly stated (e.g. see "Guidelines for Flight Surgeons") but the civilian license/rating/hours are harder to figure out.  I've heard everything from bare CPL-H up to 500hrs TT, CPL-H plus IFR.

Other than that, the standard officer stuff applies (university degree, pass IAP/BOTC, etc...).

i see what you're saying Kramer, but there's a difference between the V1 vs V2 thing and the fact that he's already had laser surgery.

V1, V2 or whatever, laser takes you out of the game, period.

Well the reason I asked this question is because I heard (could be b.s. that's why i'm asking) of a guy who had alot of turbine helo time and got into the reserves; who had laser. But since he had laser he was confined to helo and there was no hope of him ever cross training to fixed wing. The part that I don't understand is that the docs are afraid your eyes are going to be ripped to shreds, in the event you have to eject from a fixed wing a/c. So where's the problem if a guy joins the reserves with plenty of time...especially on type, like the 206? It would save the DND a hell of alot of money getting a guy with say 1000 TT B206 when a reserve squadron was ever in need of pilot's.
Cheers

Anyone that joins the reserves through HELI-COP to fly the griffon is stuck there for life.  There is no cross-training permitted.  Reserve pilots are given the MOC of 32X vice 32A (not sure of the MOSID)  If they wish to fly fixed-wing, jets or any other helicopter in the CF, they must go to Moose Jaw just like every other CF pilot - this program is not a back door to avoiding the training world.  The same goes for anyone that has entered directly into flying the Dash-8.

http://www.toronto.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/medical/visreq_e.pdf

DRDC document on aircrew vision standards.

The subject of laser-eye surgery has been beaten to death here before:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/30942.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25631.0.html

Oh blah blah blah.  I was one of the first to be approached by DND to be a helicop pilot.  They searched me out and asked if I would be interested, considering that I was a former Armoured Crewman and was  a recce crew commander and obviously knew the job.  I had been flying Hughes 500's and 206's for years after getting out.  No, I didn't learn to fly in the military.  I averaged about 600 hours a year and most of it was northern bush ops.  I was initially interested, as I didn't fly in the off season, and that's when they really wanted stand in pilots.  All the usual paper work etc was moving along, and I was ust about finished, when I got a routine call from the reserves filling in a few details.  They wanted to know what I held a degree in.  Told them I didn't have one, as you don't need one to fly.  They said I needed one, and would I be willing to go back to university to get one.  WTF for I said.  I'm busy flying my  a$$ of in the summer, and couldn't see the point in their plan so that I could fly maybe 20 hrs in one of their clapped out 206A's during the winter months.  I do 600+ hrs per year. Do the math.  Who's more current. Further to that, I met a guy who was one of two Air Reserve pilots who actually joined.  One couldn't help but laugh, he said he just puts his head down and goes flying.  The other was an Air Canada pilot who was flying an OH58.  He couldn't tell me what type of engine was in the OH58.  (...an Allison or something)  The Air Reserves is mostlyt a flying club and they DON"T WANT YOU IN IT.  Ex regular officers only.  Laser eye surgery?  My friend was one of the first to ever get it.  MOT watched him like a hawk for years to see how it turned out.  18,000 hrs later, he's fine.  His head didn't explode or anything else.  He was given an HAI award for his excellence in aviation.  Believe me, the two worlds of commercial and military helicopters don't blend very well.  I've seen it myself many times.  Those ex military types that do fit in are just fine.  Any way, been there done that.  

The Air Reserves is mostlyt a flying club and they DON"T WANT YOU IN IT.  Ex regular officers only.

Beg to differ.  I know of pilots in both helo and fixed wing that were never reg force anything.

Well, it's nice to see that reserve pilots can fly more than the griffon now. ;D
http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/news_e.asp?id=4182

volition said:
Well, it's nice to see that reserve pilots can fly more than the griffon now. ;D

Reserve pilots have been flying the CT-142 for several years already.........

volition said:

And Sea Kings, and Hercs, and instructing on the Harvard and Jet Ranger and...

Mostly ex-reg force guys, but still reservists nontheless.

True say! This guy is strictly a reservist, never been an ex-regforce pilot!

22B, you can have a gadzillion hours in a 206, but throw in some live fire with all up weight NVG and its all back to square one. I'll take the Tac Hel pilot for 1000 Alex. :gunner:

Conceivably, every airframe in the CF can have a Reservist at the controls.  The caveat being that in most cases you must be ex-RegF.

In the case of the helo-world, the heli-cop program allows for trained and experienced civi pilots to join the CF as CH-146 pilots.  This individual simply made the leap over from one helo-asset to another.  He is still restricted in his career options in that he can only fly rotary wing aircraft.

That's great!!!! For people like me that only want to fly Helos!!! ;D ::)

Rick Ruter said:
22B, you can have a gadzillion hours in a 206, but throw in some live fire with all up weight NVG and its all back to square one. I'll take the Tac Hel pilot for 1000 Alex. :gunner:

Rick you do know 22B posted that back in 2005 right?

Back