• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve QL3 Medical Assisant course with an injury?

SuperFry

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm just looking for anyone who has heard things from people at your unit or who might no how to deal with the PT on a Reserve QL3 Medical Assistant course.  Is it possible to get through the course (any course for that matter) on a medical chit allowing me not to do PT running due to an injur?  I would be totally cool with doing other forms of PT and walking/marching does not appear to be an issue.  I've been in for 3 years and my unit would really like to see me do this course.  I've done so many other courses through them, I think they know I can do it I don't want to let them down.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/opinions.

Laura

I had a stress fracture during my QL3 (Infantry), and made it through without a chit but with lots of pain killers. I don't really advise this, I only did it because PT was a mandatory part of the course, and I wanted to get the course. If I were you, I'd see a doctor. There could be something wrong with your choice of footwear, or your feet/gait. Orthotics and good quality running shoes helped my problem out a lot. Stick with low impact activities until your course, ie; swimming, biking, elliptical, to maintain your level of cardio as best as you can.

Part of the requirements to get nominated for course is to be medically and physically fit. If you're not, you won't get to go. If you pretend you aren't injured, you will just hurt yourself further, and the military will not assume responsibility if you had a previous injury.

Best to wait out until you're better, these courses come around all the time.

SuperFry said:
I'm just looking for anyone who has heard things from people at your unit or who might no how to deal with the PT on a Reserve QL3 Medical Assistant course.  Is it possible to get through the course (any course for that matter) on a medical chit allowing me not to do PT running due to an injur?  I would be totally cool with doing other forms of PT and walking/marching does not appear to be an issue.  I've been in for 3 years and my unit would really like to see me do this course.  I've done so many other courses through them, I think they know I can do it I don't want to let them down.

I do not know about Res F course, but for the Reg F Med Tech 3's,

If this is a temporary restriction, and if you can do everything else (drill, marching, walking on uneven terrain, kneeling on concrete/ground) then there should be no good reason why you can't complete the course. If it is longer (30 days or more), then you should not be on course.
The final determination will be from your chain of command, and the course staff.

I find the fact that you are unable to run (and keep fit) a bit disheartening. Ensure you work at maintaining a high level of cardio fitness through other means. Medics are judged as much on their fitness and ability to keep up with the troops as they are on their medical skills...basically, it matters not if your the worlds best medic, if you can't keep up with the troops you support.

I'm not sure I understand, do you have a running injury that has prevented you from doing your 3s course, or do you want to be exempted from running so as not to aggravate an existing condition?  I cannot speak on the policy of it, but based on my own experience here is my 2 cents. 

1.  If you show up on the first day of the course with a 'no running' PT chit, you are singling yourself out.  And from my (limited) experience, 'no running' chits usually include 'no marching'.  We all know what kind of 'special attention' can be reserved for 'individuals'

2.  The amount and type of PT you will end up doing varies from course to course.  On my 3's course there was more PT than on BMQ or SQ, and it was also more intense.  On the first day a girl showed up with no medical chit but claimed a torn ACL and expected to be exempted from running.  She was there for the first day of classes but not the second.  Everyone on that course improved their fitness and there were surprisingly few injuries.

3. If you are worried about aggravating a previous or existing condition, my suggestion would be get the proper shoes for your feet, start small, and get your body used to running.  It may take a while but it is well worth it.

Running is one of those things in the military that you don't have to do ALL the time, but there will ALWAY be SOME time that you have to run.  You don't have to learn to love running, but like it or not running is a (occasional) fact of army life.

Hope this helps.

I`ll say the same thing I say to patients - "There`s a fine line between hard and silly - stay on the smart side of it." 

MM

Back