• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve University Reimbursement Program

is it hard to get an ILP? or is every reservist entitled to one? also if i did that would i be automactically promoted to an officer once i finished my IPL (say a degree at UBC)?

Start by reading around the site, your questions have been asked and answered before, ad infinitum.

Then, before you post again, have a think about spelling, punctuation, grammar and other sentence structure rules.

Staff

Every Reservist can apply for reimbursement under the ILP program.  If your educational establishment and program meet the requirements of the program you will be reimbursed within its limits. Keep in mind that this is a benefit program that could change or be canceled at any time (it didn't always exist).

You WILL NOT be promoted to an officer rank (the term is "commissioned") on any automatic basis simply because you complete a level of education.  Some (not many, and not in all units) non commissioned members MAY be offered an opportunity for commissioning by their units.

I'll be 'that guy' I guess and give you a bunch of straight answers.

Pilot training is backed up right now literally by several years. Also, it's a very hard trade to get into. You have to really want it, work your ass off to get it, and at the end of the day, be possessed of a certain amount of luck. Don't expect to be Maverick twelve months after serving on the dotted line, and don't think that you have a clue because you're an air cadet.

Being an officer isn't a job or a title. It means that you have been entrusted with the legal authority to exert power over other soldiers, up to and including knowingly sending them to their death. Very few people are suited for wielding this authority- far fewer than are actually given it, I would argue. Fortunately, most end up in harmless office jobs. You are not at any point 'entitled' to a commission. You must earn it, and you must exemplify what it is in order to prove to your soldiers that you, with many years less experience than they, and probably less job knowledge, deserve to stand in front of them and lead them because you'll get the mission done and represent them faithfully. Frankly, you seem far more concerned with entitlements and not so interested in what that responsibility would actually entail. I would implore you to reconsider applying as an officer in our armed forces til you've decided how much it really means to you.

If you join as a reservist, you will in all likelihood be successful in getting approved for an ILP and for four years of education reimbursement up to $8000. You will also be given every opportunity to *earn* it and to prove that you deserve it through your commitment to the forces. If you join the reserves, you'd best have honest intentions of serving our country, and not just be looking for a system to milk.

Like I and other members have mentioned on other threads such as this one have mentioned IMO its more important for the OP to get accepted into the CF, get through BMQ and BMQ-L, and or trades training.  This is more than enough of a challenge ( as i am in BMQ now I can say that confidently) for a person to undertake.  As well I dont believe you can put in an ILP until your done BMQ.  Apply, get through the process and inevitable waiting periods, pass and succeed in your courses, then worry about getting money for school.

RTG :cdn:

Well said RTG.

For someone in high school, I'd just advise to get in, and get trained as an NCM. That's just for beginners.

Not everyone is cut out for Army life, and certainly not everyone is cut out to be an officer.

The Reserves will however provide opportunities to help in the decision process.

I know that our BSM at our regiment had us assembled about 3 weeks ago, and there was literally tons of money on the table in the form of bursaries, and grants for members who were attending school ( darn me being 38 with a family...).

Good luck on your path.

JesseBertucci said:
so how do you become an officer in the reserves when your an ncm?

The simple answer is demonstrate you have the qualities necessary to be selected as an officer.  Show leadership, show initiative, show yourself to be able to think on your feet, comport yourself well, be physically fit, and so on.  As an NCM work to get on whatever leadership courses you might be able to - PLQ will potentially save you a summer of officer training, if you're suitable.

If you are recommended to be considered for a commission you will go through a selection process including interviews, and a Regimental Board where it will be determined if you are indeed suitable material.

Don't scoff at staying an NCM though - the job is different but to assume one is "inferior" is wrong.

Hello,

I plan on taking my final year of university this spring at Athabasca. I am starting in April 2012 and will be finished around November 2012. Due to financial reasons (I'm still going over the numbers) I may not be able to complete university until April 2013.  I have been in the reserves for 3 years, am I still able to claim tuition reimbursement and if so am I able to claim $4000 rather than $2000 if I graduate in April 2013.

Any information is much appreciated.

If I've read your post correctly, you've taken some time away from school and are going back to finish the last year of your program?

As you may know, if you have an approved ILP you can claim half of your eligible expenses, and receive no more than $2000 per academic year. The academic year starts in September and ends in August.

In your case, if you start in April 2012, your first semester will be in the 2011/12 academic year. Your following semesters will fall in the 2012/13 academic year. In this case you may be reimbursed a total of $4000.

Incurred costs for academic year 2010 to 2011 must be submitted no sooner than Sept 2011 but no later than Sept 2012
Incurred costs for academic year 2011 to 2012 must be submitted no sooner than Sept 2012 but no later than Sept 2013

Yes that is correct. I have completed 3 of the 4 years already and I am returning to complete my final year.

If I understand you correctly, I can claim my April-July 2012 courses for the 2011-2012 school year. In addition I can claim my Aug-Nov 2012 (or Jan-April 2013) courses as part of 2012-2013 school year for a total of $4000.

Thanks again.

Sorry for the hijack here, although I believe his question has been answered.

I also want to claim money for tuition reimbursement, yet I was sent a few links for this and none of them have worked. Does anyone here have any?

dangles said:
Sorry for the hijack here, although I believe his question has been answered.

I also want to claim money for tuition reimbursement, yet I was sent a few links for this and none of them have worked. Does anyone here have any?

I hope you've gotten pre-approved via an ILP....or disappointment may be awaiting you.

Try here - Canadian Defence Academy is the POC:  http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/cu-cn/index-eng.asp

Reference the ILP, submit one now, prior to heading back to school.

Occam said:
I hope you've gotten pre-approved via an ILP....or disappointment may be awaiting you.

Try here - Canadian Defence Academy is the POC:  http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/cu-cn/index-eng.asp

I am not sure what an ILP is - I am still doing BMQ (L) at my reserve unit, however they told us we were eligible for reimbursement.
Thank you for the link.

Individual learning plan, basically, what you plan to school, and a cost break down of tuition, books, and miscellaneous fees by semester.

Need to submit this before you can make any claims. Ideally it gets submitted before you start schooling, but I've seen them submitted mid way through the year and approved.  Main thing, don't expect to show up with a year worth of receipts in september without submitting an ILP before hand.

a Sig Op said:
Individual learning plan, basically, what you plan to school, and a cost break down of tuition, books, and miscellaneous fees by semester.

Need to submit this before you can make any claims. Ideally it gets submitted before you start schooling, but I've seen them submitted mid way through the year and approved.  Main thing, don't expect to show up with a year worth of receipts in september without submitting an ILP before hand.

Thank you for the help.

dangles said:
I am not sure what an ILP is - I am still doing BMQ (L) at my reserve unit, however they told us we were eligible for reimbursement.
Thank you for the link.

E-ILP can be submitted through this link - http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/j3ops/ilpaccess-eng.asp.

Your life will be much simpler if you have an EMAA account, assuming you have a DWAN account.  Info at the link, and there's also a link there for your local BPSO office.

Unless the rules have changed, a member is not eligible for reimbursement before finishing BMQ, so I don't know if PDev will approve an ILP before finishing BMQ.

Occam said:
E-ILP can be submitted through this link - http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/j3ops/ilpaccess-eng.asp.

Your life will be much simpler if you have an EMAA account, assuming you have a DWAN account.  Info at the link, and there's also a link there for your local BPSO office.

Thank you very much I am completing this now.

Also, Rheostatic I have completed my BMQ, I am on the BMQ-Land course now, formerly known as SQ.

Back