• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists in AFG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pict:  filling out your profile a bit might give you some credibility here.  PhilB is but a sample of the depth and breadth of experience some junior/younger Reservists have working with the Reg F.

Clearly it seems you, or a buddy of yours, had a "bad go" working with the Reg F.  Look for the reasons and see what can be changed to prevent rercurrence.

I remember being given 10 blanks and having to turn them all in on some exs in the 70's

I'm shocked that this is new... really... most of my family has served in the Regs and the reserves i thought this was common knowledge... My cousin is a Captain and he perceives reservists to be males in their twenties that live in their parents basement... that is just something I have heard recently... AGAIN NOT MY OPINION OR MY PERCEPTION OF THE RESERVES.  And i'm not in my twenties or live in my parents basement.

pict said:
  I'm shocked that this is new... really... most of my family has served in the Regs and the reserves i thought this was common knowledge... My cousin is a Captain and he perceives reservists to be males in their twenties that live in their parents basement... that is just something I have heard recently... AGAIN NOT MY OPINION OR MY PERCEPTION OF THE RESERVES.  And i'm not in my twenties or live in my parents basement.

::)

pict said:
My cousin is a Captain and he perceives reservists to be males in their twenties that live in their parents basement

Your cousin needs to get out more.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Back on topic folks.

Gee, Bruce, this was spiralling so nicely.  But, since you asked.....

The average CF Reservist of today is far better positioned to be an equal partner to his Reg F counterpart than ever before.  Nowhere is this truer than in the Air and Naval Reserves. Institutionally, the Army Reserve (and the Army) has a long way to go.  But we must remember that, combined, the number of Air and Naval Reservists barely equals the number of Army Reserivsts in LFCA!  It's a matter of scale vs. resources.

Ya... 31 years in the Regs and still going...what does he know...

Can't speak for the Air Force or Navy ... Although my uncle was in the Air Force for twenty seven years... He never had a bad thing to say about the reserves... just the Army lol... but that was all in good fun ;D

The only reserve personel I have seen, in the last few years, that have been treated poorly are the piss-poor troops. Maybe you these troops being looked down on should take a long, hard look in the mirror and sort out their short-comings!

Ya... 31 years in the Regs and still going...what does he know...

Everyone gets their Corporals and their Captains, buddy.

I'm not saying that there arn't solid career corporals and captains out there. I'm just saying that being a captain with 31 years time in doesn't necessarily mean that the things you say are particularly smart.

By and large, the reservists I've worked with have been a solid bunch of dudes. By the time a rifle coy has swapped it's Regimental headdress for AR CADPAT bushcaps, you'd be hard pressed to pick the reservists out of the crowd.

Haggis said:
Your cousin needs to get out more.

Gee, Bruce, this was spiralling so nicely.  But, since you asked.....

The average CF Reservist of today is far better positioned to be an equal partner to his Reg F counterpart than ever before.  Nowhere is this truer than in the Air and Naval Reserves. Institutionally, the Army Reserve (and the Army) has a long way to go.  But we must remember that, combined, the number of Air and Naval Reservists barely equals the number of Army Reserivsts in LFCA!  It's a matter of scale vs. resources.

From my understanding, Reserve Signalers, who are now Army Reservists (but not in the Army Reserve...) are now on par training wise with commonality of training, including course duration approaching or at parity. Since I started out with the reserves as a medic in 2000, and as a Sig in 2003 things have improved dramatically. There will probably always be a small amount of bias encountered (mostly in garrison) but it seems to be fading at the same rate that our training and operational focus has improved. Good people will always be treated reasonably by reasonable people, but alas the CF will never be able to weed out idiots 100 percent on both sides of the fence.

2 Cdo said:
The only reserve personel I have seen, in the last few years, that have been treated poorly are the piss-poor troops. Maybe you these troops being looked down on should take a long, hard look in the mirror and sort out their short-comings!
Piss poor reserve troops & piss poor regular troops, standing in a circle doing sweef F A
You'll find lousy troops everywhere - no one is poking sticks at reserve troops, no one is poking sticks at reg troops either

I went to Croatia in 93 with 2VP. We had one of the largest Reserve Force compliments in quite a while. They were good. You couldn't pick them apart from the Regulars. Nor did we want to.

2 Cdo said:

In the many years I spent as a PRes mbr working around my RegF comrades, the only ones who got treated like crap were those who performed in that manner.  However, I can say that the RegF mbrs who performed like crap were treated as such by the Jnr NCOs, Snr NCOs, WOs and Officers we worked with, the same as the PRes sh**tpumps who showed up for a tasking with no more interest in performing than what they were there for;  a pay cheque for 'x' weeks, which gave them stamps for pogy.  Some of those mbr were from my Regiment.  On more than 1 occassion, I found myself saying "MCpl/Sgt/WO/Sgt-Major/Sir, not everyone from "insert unit name here" is a waste of rations...".

It was usually very easy to see, in places like TSS, ABS, etc which ones were there to soldier, and which ones were looking for another winter on pogy.

OldSolduer said:
I went to Croatia in 93 with 2VP. We had one of the largest Reserve Force compliments in quite a while. They were good. You couldn't pick them apart from the Regulars. Nor did we want to.

OS

More than a few of my buddies were on that tour, and IMO, the 3 months work-up trng before deployment sorted out the hackers from the non-hackers.  Just from that DAG for PRes folks in LFAA, many were cut, and more were filtered out in the pre-deployment trng.  From the 12 (from my old unit) that went to Winnipeg, 6-8 made it to the tour, and they were all good troops.  The only thing at that time was, some of them that were good Jnr NCOs had to drop rank, some of them from  MCpl to Tpr.  BUT..they had the choice to do that, and the ones who cared about soldiering and serving did it willingly, and were happy to be on the plane that left Canada.

'93 was, IMO, the litmist test for the Reserve community.
Like OS said, many were reservists, I myself was only one of two reg force in my section, the majority were from the Westies and aside from my differences with one ( which were mended during a beer or two during the awarding of the citation), we all soldiered on, as it should have been and as it should be today.

I should admit, although quite young at the time ('93, AND having served in a reserve unit prior to boot!), my view on the militia and the reserves in general were quite jaded, maybe it was the times we were living in or my short sightedness.

Fifteen years later and considerably more tours, I see that the reserves are an integral part of the forces makeup.

Once again, IMHO, TF 1-08, reserves made an excellent showing in the BG, even our token reservist's in RECCE PL (tongue plated FIRMLY in cheek).

A common thing I've noticed hanging around army.ca is that most of the Reserve bashers have about 2 years in and haven't done a tour yet.....

Other then me eh Bruce....  ;)

Having done my Mod 6 on a course made up entirely of PRes soldiers minus myself, I can say that openly and honestly I was not impressed not even a little. Now this is not an individual thing, many of the candidates have amazing potential that if they had the proper training and time they would make excellent soldiers. The issue is they are not trained properly NO  they are not up to a reg force standard they do very well with the training they do get but it's not GOOD training.

Because of this I still remain unimpressed with with any Res soldier I have worked beside (excluding those who we spent a year getting ready to come on TF 3-06 with us to get them to a proper standard). Again it's not that the individual soldiers are junk (well a few were one Tor Scot comes to mind) just the system that creates them is. And it comes down simply to those who do it professionally and those who play at it.

BulletMagnet said:
Other then me eh Bruce....  ;)

Naw, you'd just be the reason I said "most", not all.

However you have earned the right to air your grievances, unlike the people I mentioned in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back