• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RESISTANCE TO INTERROGATION INSTRUCTOR

Of course, we still aren't training Interrogators, who should be intimately involved in the R2I. But that's another issue, hopefully to be resolved soon.

Acorn

Should be a good go! Put my name in today actually. I'll keep you all posted!

Let me get this right. This is a simulation of being a prisoner? You get interrogated, stressed, weakened, yelled at. Seems pretty cool. ;D

The rumblings I've heard revolve around RTI being added to the advanced escape and evasion course some pilots need to go on.

Probably one of those things that would be a great experience in hindsight but not so much while you're doing it.

Acorn said:
Of course, we still aren't training Interrogators, who should be intimately involved in the R2I. But that's another issue, hopefully to be resolved soon.

Acorn

Actually, having people trained in R2I and interrogation mixing is a very bad idea.

An R2I instructor is trained to work with students using techinques that are not sanctioned by the Geneva Conventions.  Using a person trained for R2I vs an actual prisoner runs the risk of the instructor using unsanctioned techniques.

By not training interrogators at all we are running the risk. The reason trained interrogators should be involved in the R2I training is because they know the boundaries. If all we train is R2I instructors we run the risk of using them as interrogators in time of need, and they haven't been trained within our legal system.

Mixing the two is no more a problem than using well-trained combat troops in a peacekeeping role.

Acorn

"A critical criterion is that they be able to draw the line between role-play in training and actual violence."

So what are you saying by this statement???  Those of us that are trained (when we were allowed to be trained) do not know our boundaries???  Who better to conduct an interrogation than a trained interrogator??  As for role-playing and violence, firstly I know what I'm allowed to do, and violence is NOT one of our techniques (it is illegal!!!).  When we were allowed to train, all interogations were video-taped and closely monitored.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that because the press is reporting supposed violations by US interogators that they are following our SOPs!  As for violations in the 90's involving Cdns, it was not Int interogators that were involved!!  One or two "lone cowboys" from other MOC's were the culprits.

Bottom-line, we know the difference!!!  And as any interogator will tell you, you'll get no, or useless, info from a beaten prisoner!!  Human-nature is to resist when under that kind of duress, or they'll say whatever they think you want to hear.

Cheers  :cdn:

Before we get into a urination contest, let me try to be more clear:

At the moment (and for some years now) we have not trained interrogators. The result is that we have less than 20 qualified in the CF. While it is good that R2I instructors will be trained as to where to draw the line, they will not be trained interrogators. I am concerned with the possibility of them being used as such "in a pinch" due to the lack of interrogators in the CF.  I think that, perhaps, goes to what Dirt Digger may have been implying.

I believe trained interrogators can conduct R2I training with little additional training. An R2I instructor is not likely to be able to do the reverse. In addition, I think people should be careful about assuming what techniques R2I instructors will be permitted to use.

Acorn

I don't want to assume what techniques they would be allowed to use; however, I would hope that they are not going to teach you how to resist just the "legal" ways of interrogation as it would be highly likely that those are not the only ones that we need to worry about.  I think that if they are going to be teaching the course then they should look at any method that could be employed against us.  Just because we don't/won't use those methods doesn't mean that they won't be used against us.

Intelligere:  If I misinterpreted your meaning I apologize.

However I have been on an Interrogation exercise or two in the UK (they are quite good believe me), and all/most RTI trg is conducted by trained interrogators.  As ACORN stated, it is easier for an interogator to "flex" himself into a bad-guy mode (we cover those techniques on courses, as a "what to expect" from a possible enemy), than it would be for a RTI instructor to conduct an interrogation for real, which is what ACORN is suggesting could happen (as trained interogator retire, and we lose the skill-set, the potential to turn to RTI instructor is a real possibility). 

RTI trg would be a good way to conduct a final PO for trained interogators (such as the Brits do with their graduates who try to "break" SAS/conduct after capture candiates).  If violence is to be included, role-players could fill that function

cheers  :cdn:

There is a bit of dis-information above. R2I instructors go through a much longer course than interrogators. As a general rule the increasing level of skill and difficulty is: tactical questioning -   interrogation - R2I Instructor. Being qualified in all three I can categorically state that R2I Instructor is the hardest.
However, the reason that the R2I instructor course is longer is correctly stated above. Because they go beyond LOAC & GC's (in order to portray the opposition) they have to be more carefully screened. They must also be capable of a much wider repertoire than an Interrogator. I have seen quite a few interrogators turn up to an R2I exercise and find it very difficult. That being said, as mentioned before, the only way an interrogator can practice is on a R2I exercise.
The cross-pollination of interrogators and R2I instructors is a good thing. One brings the critical hard-core int perspective and the other (generally - but there will always be exceptions) brings a stronger communication set. The other key thing an interrogator should have is a strong linguistic capability which an R2I instructor does not need.
Using R2I Instructors as interrogators is not a bad thing. It is a question of ROE's. Much like a private with Simunition in Petawawa on one ex will shoot anything in the wrong uniform and in Bosnia is under much more restrictive ROE. An interrogator (pure or R2I qualified) works under LOAC and GC on the opposition and under CF CAC doctrine on an R2I Ex. If he or she doesn't get that   a.they are too stupid to be an interrogator and b. charge them.
I look forward to more discussion on this topic.

I know this is not specific to the RTII course issues - but what happened to the idea that in '06 conventional troops deploying would have had to taken RTI training?

icatq,

When did you do your Interrogator course? (Approximate, we don't want to "out" you, since you'd be one of the 10-12 qualified interrogators left in the CF - if you're still in). Also, what form of R2II did you take, and approximately when?

Acorn

Will this course help us in resisting the Pointed Queries of our wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/police :-X as well as keep our mouths shut when captured?

Back