• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RESISTANCE TO INTERROGATION INSTRUCTOR

In that case, it should be a required course for all the Moderators and Staff of the site.  ;D

GunfighterSB said:
Will this course help us in resisting the Pointed Queries of our wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/police :-X as well as keep our mouths shut when captured?

I don't know about police, but I don't know if I could resist sex being withheld!

Sorry for the monster bump but I would like to know if anyone here has done this course or at least could provide some additional info.
I am especially interested in the theoretical vs practical ratio (% of each).

Out of the 5 weeks about 1 1/2 weeks are academic .... all the rest is hands on.

My only experience on the subject is an Ex during which we were captured. Captivity proved uncomfortable but the interrogation by real police detectives was scary. The strategies & tactics they used were overwhelming for most of us (even though we were not physicaly touched). The psychological games are very powerful. I would be fascinated being on such a course.

As soldiers, we all have basic information on resisting interrogation, but it does nothing to prepare you for the real thing. This training is needed.

"We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."  ;D

I unfortunately did not get the certification because the course was cancelled, but I did get training on interrogation from those who were certified.  There was then (and still is) a great debate over who should be allowed to be trained as interrogators.  JAG offices get in a panic whenever this issue comes up due to legal interpretations that if you are trained as intelligence, or MP, you are not allowed to do training for R2I, nor to instruct in because you will be 'tainted'.  However, there is still a demand for combat arms and air crews to be trained in this area in case they get captured.

(Dont blame me, I didnt make this up!; It makes as much sense as saying that if a lawyer ever defended a crminal in court they should no longer be allowed to be a prosecutor because they are 'tainted'; or like a soldier being told they cant work on humanitarian aid missions because they've been trained to shoot people.)

On the reverse side, the argument goes that you can train front line soldiers to do interrogation, but cannot allow them to do so because they belong to units that may have encountered casualties or deaths due to contact with the enemy; the interrogators within the unit that sustained losses would lose their 'distance' (emotional detachment), which in turn reduces their ability to remain focused and unemotional during an interrogation of persons captured during said engagements.  Further, said front-line interrogators may become casualties themselves or would have to be pulled off the front lines to conduct the interrogations.

Its a nasty catch-22.

RESISTANCE TO INTERROGATION INSTRUCTOR

So is this the army’s idea of a Diversity and harassment awareness councillor?  ;D

I dunno. Seems to me any guy been married more than two years is an SME in resistance to interrogation and therefore qualified to teach to the single troopies. ;D

Is this strictly for Reg force or is this something a reserve officer could get?  Cripes knows I take a lot of crap as it is, all that crap eating may as well be put to good use. 
And I "promise" not to use it in civvie life  :evil:

Given the number of reserve members working overseas, this course (if successfully implemented) should be open to reserve memebrs for the same reasons that HUMINT is open to them. In fact, many of the standards used in Canada's HUMINT program are transferable over to the selection of Instructors for an Interrogators course.    :blotto:

Of note, when a new subject matter like this gets popular, the higher ups do not call in the experienced subject matter experts, who tend to be Senior NCO's.  They train a few Captains or Majors in the program and put them in charge without involving any previous SME's.  Then the new officers act as 'experts' to start running the program.  Of course, because they have limited experience, they end making a lot of the old mistakes which they would not be making if they had called in the experts in the first place.  (Yes, I've seen this happen before,with three different SME areas in use today).  ^-^

"Of note, when a new subject matter like this gets popular, the higher ups do not call in the experienced subject matter experts, who tend to be Senior NCO's.  They train a few Captains or Majors in the program and put them in charge without involving any previous SME's.  Then the new officers act as 'experts' to start running the program.  Of course, because they have limited experience, they end making a lot of the old mistakes which they would not be making if they had called in the experts in the first place. "

Very true of the CF

I guess I need to clarify some things.

It is open to reg force and reserves and was advertised as such in a CANFORGEN. There are 20 instructors currently in the CF. .... in terms of SME's / NCO's / Officers ... we work on a first name basis like source handlers (please don't use the generic term HUMINT) ... so the 'experts' running the program are there because they are experts - it is not based on rank.

Married guys and gals find it very useful as a take home skill, however taking some of the aggressive conversational skills home can be a 'night on the couch plan'.

We also now teach Prisoner Handling and Tactical Questioning in the CF so we have dealt with Centurion 1985's issues. It was designed for front line troops. I have so far taught 40 memebers of the CF. We only have 14 Interrogators left in the CF ..... next year I'll fix that too.

Back