• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retired Service?

Within two weeks of starting work, had a guy try the TI (time in civy verision of it anyways) talk with me(sorry, I"m not a 19 yr old Gnr anymore) I let him know that starting next week, I'm not the new guy anymore( it was a civy btw).  On a side note the leaders/managers that knew of me (vice knowing me) seem to not talk to me like I'm a FNG, I guess its what I heard of when I joined and was called the "old boys/vern network" (LOL).

LOL! hi Vern, I vaguely knew it was something like that...not that I really gave a .... about that heirachy crap!  ;)

I joined right out of high school as an 18 year old snot nose kid in 78. Did 23 years, got injured and was medically released in 01. My biggest hurdle after release was deciding what I wanted to do. I didn't have a hard time relating to civilians, because I had worked with so many during my career. Putting on a business suit every day was no different than putting on a uniform.

SISIP sent me back to university, got my computer science degree and now I work for Kellogs Canada as an IT consultant, great job and fantastic people to work with. Couldn't be happier. That nice big pension check at the end of each month is also a nice bonus.

From a Reserve point of view:

I hit CRA  on 5 Aug 07, so no chance to continue on with any CF element. Just turned 15 when I joined (said I was 16). Did a fair bit of full time service. Bought back the pension (extremely expensive due to the 7% compound interest).
Speaking to ADM Fin (CS) and DAPPP often, there are more Regular Force releases than anticipated. As far as the number of Reserve pers releasing, only one is currently receiving a pension. I may be number two. They are short staffed, regulations were rushed through(CMP was trying for another extension 1999 - 2008), new staff. They are good folks, trying there best. They are busy with Reserve pers opting in to buy back pension.
I keep busy as the editor of our twice a year regimental magazine, committee work for next years 125th, secretary of a military institute, volunteer at a hospital, and of course fighting VAC (endlessly).
My CBG HQ screwed up my release, completing it late (even when I kept after them to get it done), not getting the Release Auth signature, etc. File went Wpg/Ottawa/Wpg/Edm. Still has to go Edm/Wpg/Ottawa. Release Auth busy man of course, so who knows when his signature will be affixed. So I have not been released yet, therefore they cannot complete my file/process pension. Hoping for end Dec. Wife worried! Check Lotto tickets often.

Back