• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017

Transporter

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone seen/heard anything on the annual 1 Apr pay increase for this year (2014)? Any thoughts on what it might be? I'm guessing 1.5%.

**Staff Edit: Update thread topic to reflect retro pay raise. **

I was on the CANFORGEN site today;  nothing on any increase this April.  Or thru the CofC or rumour mill or anything.

There isn't an automatic annual pay increase every year.  The last one we got was pre-announced sometime before it came into effect.

???

Given most public service collective agreements, against which CF pay is benchmarked, expire in 2014, I suspect the 1 Apr 2014 pay increase announcement will be delayed pending resolution of those agreements.  (I have been wrong in the past, so take it with a grain of salt).

That said, given the government wants to keep a tight control on increases (and, indeed, is directing all departments to pay any increases out of their existing baseline, and not providing increases to fund that inflation), I doubt anything will be above 2%.  (Note that Stats Can says the November (annualized) inflation rate was 0.9%.  Pension contributions have gone up 0.6% this year for part I of the CFSA; so a 1.5% increase would be breaking even.  However, if you're below maximum IPC for your rank you'll see some real growth in income).

We should be getting a raise, I just got the letter from CFHA saying our rent was going up.  ;D  the two seem to go hand in hand.

I've not heard anything though.

Eye In The Sky said:
I was on the CANFORGEN site today;  nothing on any increase this April.  Or thru the CofC or rumour mill or anything.

There isn't an automatic annual pay increase every year.  The last one we got was pre-announced sometime before it came into effect.

???
This...... Remember the dark years no pay increase for 5+ years.

my72jeep said:
This...... Remember the dark years no pay increase for 5+ years.

Yes....And if your timing sucks, those would be included towards your best years being counted towards your Pension....... :'(  Now that really would suck.

Hopefully any increase won't be an excuse to take some benefit away.

dapaterson said:
Given most public service collective agreements, against which CF pay is benchmarked, expire in 2014, I suspect the 1 Apr 2014 pay increase announcement will be delayed pending resolution of those agreements.  (I have been wrong in the past, so take it with a grain of salt).

That said, given the government wants to keep a tight control on increases (and, indeed, is directing all departments to pay any increases out of their existing baseline, and not providing increases to fund that inflation), I doubt anything will be above 2%.  (Note that Stats Can says the November (annualized) inflation rate was 0.9%.  Pension contributions have gone up 0.6% this year for part I of the CFSA; so a 1.5% increase would be breaking even.  However, if you're below maximum IPC for your rank you'll see some real growth in income).
You've used some of the same logic that I used but did not so eloquently enunciate in my post for coming up with the 1.5% increase estimate... and I agree that it will likely be far beyond 1 Apr 14 if/when we see anything for this year. 

Chief Stoker said:
Hopefully any increase won't be an excuse to take some benefit away.

We'll have something bargained away by PSAC, I'm sure.  ::)

PuckChaser said:

When they bargained away Severance Pay, they didn't leave much to bargain away next time.  >:D

George Wallace said:
When they bargained away Severance Pay, they didn't leave much to bargain away next time.  >:D
They better not F*** with the pension... that would be really really bad...

PuckChaser said:
Have I mentioned lately how much a love having my compensation and benefits be an afterthought to the public service collective bargaining process? Makes me feel soooo special.

Transporter said:
They better not F*** with the pension... that would be really really bad...

I'd imagine we would be grandfathered in if that happened?

George Wallace said:

Its PSAC, I'm sure they'll find something that I'll get to hear about at a stupid picket line.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the notion of "PSAC bargaining away severance".  As I understand it, Treasury Board went into negotiations with PSAC expressing very clearly that it was going to be either layoffs, or lose severance.  Apparently sufficient evidence was presented to the union that this was a credible threat.  Consequent negotiations with other unions during collective bargaining had the elimination of severance as a "pre-condition" to all other issues being discussed, and that failure to agree on severance would result in an impasse before negotiations even started.

As far as the pension goes, don't blame anything on the unions if it happens.  The government has made it clear what's on the agenda, and if a change to a defined-contribution pension happens, it won't be because the Public Service agreed to it.

As has been said elsewhere on the forum, CF members should be happy (for the most part) that their pay and benefits are tied to that of the Public Service.

Eye In The Sky said:
Unless you signed a new TOS after the changes...

Not likely.  It would probably only apply to new hires.

When they rolled out the last changes to the CF pension (specifically the 20 ----> 25 year requirement for an unreduced pension), that didn't change your benefits, it only made you have to serve longer to draw on them.  Changing from defined benefit to defined contribution would result in a significant change in benefits.

edit:  oops...reversed "contribution" and "benefit" in the last sentence.

Well....let's hope we don't have to find out!  ;D

God knows, the way things have changed in the past several years. I'd not be surprised by anything at this point.

Transporter said:
Have I mentioned lately how much a love having my compensation and benefits be an afterthought to the public service collective bargaining process? Makes me feel soooo special.

Yea,...must really suck to be able to get wage increases without having to risk a friggin' cent of your own money while on a picket line.  Give your head a shake......

Back