• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Return of NDI 75: Veteran Service Card [Merged]

Jarnhamar said:
Dude, if you don't want one of the cards don't get one.

Some people like stuff like this as memorabilia of their service, the same with coins and patches and 'I love me' wall stuff.  Other people don't care.

There are people who have done multiple hard tours and got our after 7 years who "did" alot more than some people with 25 years in. It's not a dick measuring contest unless you make it one.

Plus the card indicates how long people served which is a good way to combat bullshiters.

If I release and this card gets me a 10% or 20% discount as a veteran, especially on large purchases, then that's cash in my pocket.

If an old man or woman wants to carry around this dinky card as some kind of reminder or connection to their service then wheres the harm.

Tim Horton employees got the same campaign star that soldiers in Afghanistan got, did you thrown your medal away?

Sorry but I'm seeing a lot of outrage about this online and can't help thinking who cares.

Well said.

I think the biggest legitimate concern on this is that it doesn’t show DOB, and as such is pretty useless as piece of government ID.

Originally there had been talk of one card to ID vets and to provide VAC client services. It failed, which is a shame.

Quirky said:
So someone who only completes BMQ gets the same card as someone who has done multiple tours and maybe 25+ years?

Same as the Veteran's licence plates,

mariomike said:
Looks like finishing BMQ is sufficient in some ( all? ) provinces,

"2. A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, Regular or Reserves, who successfully completed basic training."
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/funding-engagement-permits/vets-licence-plate-survey

Quirky said:
Do ex RCMP, EMS or hospital staff get service cards like this when they retire?

Toronto Paramedic Services issues their paramedics a "Retired" photo ID wallet card when you retire and hand in your regular ID. 

I imagine Metro Police ( my uncle received a card when he retired from the force ) and TFD do also.

Jarnhamar said:
Tim Horton employees got the same campaign star that soldiers in Afghanistan got, did you thrown your medal away?

Learn something new every day.  :)

Jarnhamar said:

Well they got a campaign medal vice a star, but -- seen.

The bringing back of the card will see simple things that were 'lost' to those who went through the period where the NDI75 wasn't issued become possible again.

We had Vets who were refused shopping in American PXs etc because the CF1 card didn't suffice.  Had a couple pers at car dealerships that were offering "Veterans Discounts" not accept the CF1 due to it not having a photo.  Just a few of the things that were reported up that helped get the NDI75 back.

Big stuff?  Not necessarily, but stuff none the less. Having that photo on it is the added bonus.  If someone wants to toss theirs in the trash, their loss.

Problem is, they went through all this effort to bring it back, but it's being reported that this is not going to count as official government ID.

ArmyVern said:
We had Vets who were refused shopping in American PXs etc because the CF1 card didn't suffice. 

I thought that one needed a NATO Travel Order to get onto a base, then into the PX?  I thought Pearl Harbour was the only NEX that was off base?

Dimsum said:
I thought that one needed a NATO Travel Order to get onto a base, then into the PX?  I thought Pearl Harbour was the only NEX that was off base?

Lots of bases have visitor quarters that are available to Vets on vacation, plus commissaries and PXs. You need to prove your service with a government issued military ID card. A CANEX points card doesn't count. Whether it has a V on it or not, it's still just a store loyalty card, like COSTCO's.

Jarnhamar said:
Some people like stuff like this as memorabilia of their service, the same with coins and patches and 'I love me' wall stuff.  Other people don't care.

I got a couple lithos from the units ive been part of, those might make it on the garage wall or in the office. At least they have some use besides a piece of plastic in a wallet.

If I release and this card gets me a 10% or 20% discount as a veteran, especially on large purchases, then that's cash in my pocket.

I asked the guys who have one and they say the card doesn’t give them any discounts for anything. I don’t know if retail store employees are trained to look for a valid active military ID. You might get lucky and flash this one and it’ll work.

Sorry but I'm seeing a lot of outrage about this online and can't help thinking who cares.

I think it’s because their priorities are on useless pieces of plastic/nostalgia vs actually helping injured vets that are kicked to the curb after decades of service.

That "useless piece of plastic" is worth $500.00 on the purchase of a new KIA Soul.
I would expect similar discounts on other cars.

I like to try to take the attitude of "anything people, business, etc do to thank me for serving is a small thank you and appreciated".  Sure, the current system(s) could be better, but they could also be worse - as in nonexistent.

Jarnhamar said:

There seems to be a more vocal and possibly larger "nothing is good enough!" crowd since *social media* became reality...they took the card away and people were unhappy...they reintroduce it and people aren't happy.

Hell, if I worked in those offices I'd probably be thinking "wtf...I give up".

PuckChaser said:
Problem is, they went through all this effort to bring it back, but it's being reported that this is not going to count as official government ID.

Neither did the original NDI75, if you look at it.

Agent X89A said:
I have a really simple, and really dumb, question.

How do I go about getting a Veteran's ID Card.

I'm totally frustrated searching both the DND and VA websites for information.

Can anyone help?

I guess you saw this on the VAC website:

National Defence and Veterans Affairs Canada introduce the new Veteran’s Service Card.

The new Veteran’s Service Card (VSC) helps you stay connected to military and Veteran support programs during your transition from military to civilian life. This card also recognizes your service as a Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member.

As of September 2018, all eligible members will automatically receive a Veteran’s Service Card when they release from the CAF. CAF members and Veterans released between February 2016 and September 2018 can apply online for their VSC starting December 1, 2018. CAF members and Veterans released before 2016 can request their card after summer 2019.

For more information, please visit the Veteran’s Service Card page: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/benefits-military/transition/service-card.html

Suggest you review the above webpage. Lots of FAQ's. Apps will be on line eventually.

Extract: An online application process will be put in place December 1, 2018 for Veterans who released between 2016 and 2018 (stage two). A process for requests for VSCs by eligible Veterans who released prior to 2016 (stage three) will be ready for summer 2019.

I have an even simpler dumber question, are there really so many fake Veteran's out there that we need a card to identify ourselves?
Am I missing something, or is that literally its only function? I mean thanks, sweet gesture but... give it a purpose of SOMEKIND.

dunlop303 said:
I have an even simpler dumber question, are there really so many fake Veteran's out there that we need a card to identify ourselves?
Am I missing something, or is that literally its only function? I mean thanks, sweet gesture but... give it a purpose of SOMEKIND.

Better proof for a veteran/military discount than a CFOne card, IMHO.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/benefits-military/transition/service-card.html?utm_campaign=not-applicable&utm_medium=vanity-url&utm_source=canada-ca_veterans-service-card&fbclid=IwAR3lWc8ttSLpzOYO2s1XUIl75sLjayLaYuhmXnGEDd6WQkR7XWy7M6Vt-SY  (FAQ's at Link)

Recently released CAF members can now request the new Veteran’s Service Card - 3 Dec 18

Veterans released between February 2016 and September 2018 can now request their Veteran’s Service Card, with the downloadable, mail-in application form available below. The form lists the information you will need to provide for verification of previous military service. The use of a mail-in application form is necessary to conform to federal privacy and security considerations.

The new Veteran’s Service Card (VSC) helps you stay connected to military and veteran support programs during your transition from military to civilian life. This card also recognizes your previous service as a Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member.

It is estimated that there are 26,000 veterans who are now eligible to apply for their Veteran’s Service Card. Another estimated 450,000, who have honourably released prior to February 2016, will be able to apply for their Veteran’s Service Card during the summer of 2019. This staged approach allows the Department of National Defence and Veterans Affairs Canada to ensure that the necessary resources are in place to verify, produce, and distribute the Veteran’s Service Cards.

Who is eligible
You are eligible to receive a Veteran’s Service Card if you have:

- completed basic training and
- been honourably released from the CAF

As of September 2018, all eligible members automatically receive a Veteran’s Service Card as they release from the CAF, and will receive their card during their final release interview.

Veterans released before February 2016 will be able to request their Veteran’s Service Card during the summer of 2019.

Instructions for Veteran’s Service Card applications*

1. Download the Veteran’s Service Card Application Form.    https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/dnd-mdn/documents/military-benefits/20181203-vsc-application-form-dnd-9036-e.pdf    The application form can be filled out electronically or handwritten. For handwritten submissions, please ensure you print in clear block letters.

2. Print off the application form. It is recommended you keep a copy of your application for your own records.

3. Veterans who, while serving, were issued either the National Defence Identification (NDI) 20 Canadian Forces Permanent ID card, or NDI 21 Civilian ID card only need to submit a completed application form. Members who were not issued either of these two ID cards, or do not know whether they were issued any of these ID cards, must also include the following with their application form:

1) a passport-like quality photo, AND
2) proof of identity in the form of a photocopy of a valid Government issued photo identification.

4. Mail the application form and enclosures (if applicable) to the following address:

Director General Defence Security
National Defence Identification Service
Veteran’s Service Card
National Defence Headquarters
MGen George R. Pearkes Building
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K2

* Please note that only applications from veterans released between February 2016 and September 2018 will be accepted for processing at this time.

Contact us
For more information or for assistance, contact VSCQuestions.EnquetesCSAC@forces.gc.ca.

Attachments

• Card.JPG
    Card.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 561
I found para 3 amusing.  When I retired I was asked to submit a passport quality photo as my NDI 20 was about to expire.  Once I received my card I saw that they used neither my NDI 20 or passport photo but the photo from my last DND 404 renewal where I was clearly in CADPAT.

I submitted my application in Nov of 2019, has anyone from this batch heard back?  I got out 5 years ago and I was told that I was the least complicated of files.  Not too sure what the timeline is.

Cheers

bcbarman said:
I submitted my application in Nov of 2019, has anyone from this batch heard back?  I got out 5 years ago and I was told that I was the least complicated of files.  Not too sure what the timeline is.

Cheers

All Canadian Armed Forces Veterans may now apply for the new Veteran’s Service Card... We will make every effort to verify eligibility and fulfil requests for the Veteran’s Service Cards within a 90 day period of application...

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/benefits-military/transition/service-card.html

I’d assume you may be right on that cusp of 90ish days since your app if you submitted it in November. Hopefully you’ll hear/receive something soon; however, since it’s government they’re probably behind schedule.

Edit to add: Christmas holidays will probably delay the 90 days a bit also...

Thanks all. got the card last week, had a photo with hair and a beard that was for certain not regimental!

Here is to hoping that the airlines will still be flying and I can take advantage of some extra baggage!

Stay safe y'all

Back