• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Return of NDI 75: Veteran Service Card [Merged]

bcbarman said:
Thanks all. got the card last week, had a photo with hair and a beard that was for certain not regimental!

Here is to hoping that the airlines will still be flying and I can take advantage of some extra baggage!

Stay safe y'all

Glad To hear you received it. All the best.

I think the biggest legitimate concern on this is that it doesn’t show DOB, and as such is pretty useless as piece of government ID.
Is anyone aware of the reason why they decided not to put the DOB on the card? It really does make the card useless. It would be worth petitioning to have it added now that the card is being issued.

It is not designed or intended as a formal ID, as appearance can and will change over the years post release.

Is anyone aware of the reason why they decided not to put the DOB on the card? It really does make the card useless. It would be worth petitioning to have it added now that the card is being issued.
The Veteran's Service Card was never intended to serve as an official piece of government issued photo ID. It even says this on the application website. In order to do so, it would need to meet a number of additional criteria such as having an expiry date, higher quality photos, and a much more intensive verification process. Think of the verification and security processes for all other ID such as a Driver's License or Passport - and the infrastructure that requires.

Assuming 7K releases Reg and Res annually, a five year validity period, and an average individual living 35 years post release, and you'd need an infrastructure to verify identity and issue about 50K cards annually.

Assuming 7K releases Reg and Res annually, a five year validity period, and an average individual living 35 years post release, and you'd need an infrastructure to verify identity and issue about 50K cards annually.
VAC's hasty estimate at the start of the project was that there could be up to 400,000 living veterans in Canada that would be eligible under the changed criteria. That's a lot of cards to cycle every 5 years.

D&B - PM me with your details, I will track down what has happened and ensure you get a card.

Aww... thanks!

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

Betting that the unit never requested it. Res F admin is suspect at the best of times.

Betting that the unit never requested it. Res F admin is suspect at the best of times.

It's OK, I'm used to it. They didn't pay me for the year 2018 either, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't because I wasn't adding any value ....

Staff Weenie to the rescue! Thanks!

The Veteran's Service Card was never intended to serve as an official piece of government issued photo ID. It even says this on the application website. In order to do so, it would need to meet a number of additional criteria such as having an expiry date, higher quality photos, and a much more intensive verification process. Think of the verification and security processes for all other ID such as a Driver's License or Passport - and the infrastructure that requires.
Yes, I'm aware of what it says on the application. If the rational is simply that it's too costly to put a DOB on the card then is the current cost of the card justified? I suspect the card will be axed in near future budget cuts. That's an easy bird to shoot out of the sky.

Making it an official piece of ID requires more than just adding the DOB. Backend processes including validation of identity on an ongoing basis become necessary.

So what deficit would issuing a formal ID for retired members address? What policy objectives would it advance?

Yes, I'm aware of what it says on the application. If the rational is simply that it's too costly to put a DOB on the card then is the current cost of the card justified? I suspect the card will be axed in near future budget cuts. That's an easy bird to shoot out of the sky.
Nah, vets made enough angry noises about it for a number of years that it was an easy “make them happy” to just bring the thing back.

So what deficit would issuing a formal ID for retired members address? What policy objectives would it advance?
Good question. I would say that being able to use a veteran ID vs. a drivers license for everyday life would have advantages. It would allow companies to tailor their services to veterans with greater ease. Boarding planes, taking out loans, travelling to other countries etc. would likely provide members with a certain amount of respect and potential bennefits. Right now, they would have no idea who is a Vet and who isn't. One would not have to point it out if they were able to show veteran ID vs. a drivers license. I don't know any specific policy that I could point to other than to say I think it could be a helpful tool for a Veteran to have when leaving the service. The current ID isn't effective because it can't be used for anything directly. -- To be clear, I'm not saying it will be good because you might get a 10% discount at Target. I am trying to convey that it will allow people to respond to your Veteran status and provide a wider net of support.

Why is it necessary? Multiple other forms of government issued ID exist. Other than "I'm fucking special because I am a veteran (defined as anyone who completed BMQ or more)", there's no gap to address.
I believe that it will allow people to respond to your Veteran status and provide a wider net of support. Is there something wrong with indicating you are a veteran all of a sudden? You have a card to identify your are a veteran, but if you use it you are trying to be "fucking special"? This is childish logic.

I believe that it will allow people to respond to your Veteran status and provide a wider net of support. Is there something wrong with indicating you are a veteran all of a sudden? You have a card to identify your are a veteran, but if you use it you are trying to be "fucking special"? This is childish logic.
I think the current card is acceptable. I've used it a number of times already (getting baggage fees waved, etc).

Other than that I don't see a need to make it an official piece of Government Identification equivalent to a Drivers License.

IMO, we need a few less Veterans projecting their status on to others in public.

IMO, we need a few less Veterans projecting their status on to others in public.
It's common in the states and the public goes out of their way make sure to identify if someone is a veteran or not and makes sure they get whatever support is offered. They do so in part because they have useful ID cards which veterans carry. ( Types of Veteran ID cards | Veterans Affairs ) So, in your opinion, a few less American Vets should go around and project their status to the public?

Back