• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RHIP

With apoligies to Navalsnipr, I think I will move this to the "main" forum, this seems to be drawing more than just the Navy types.......

When I was in the Artillery, it was the junior ranks who eat first as well.  The only time when a the line was reversed was at pay parade.  The officers, followed by Sr NCO, NCOs and then the men.  I assume this dates back to the days where the officers used part of their pay to pay the men.

In the Marines, it's the same.  The troops first, then the leadership element last.

PJ D-Dog

whiskey601 said:
a ship is a floating artillery battery with a small patch of an airfield.

Good observation... I may want to use that one day!!

Back to the discussion at hand though.

I did a cross-pole in '97 with the HMS London and the separation between the messes is still there today. Walking by th Wardroom during the tour, I noticed that steaks were being prepared. Well I piped up and stated that steaks were good for me. The tour guy looked at me weird and indicated that they never get food like that in their mess (MS & B). Sure enough we ended up eating stew or something.

Another point about rations onboard ships is that the Officers do pay for "extra rations" to get extra food during their meal hours. 99.9% of the time they eat the same as everyone else, but have additional garnishes or side dishes.

Unfortunately the few who step on the little, make a bad name for the many.

I'll say this one again and again... Leadership by Example

Bruce.... No offence taken!

As this has been moved out to general, I think I'll thow out an observation that this is not only limited the CF or the RN.  Perusing a British Military PMQ application is quite the eye opener...
As a NCM I am not entitled to the following in a furnished PMQ: Bureau, Chair Elbow Block, Dressing Table, Chest of Drawers, Table Hall, Table Nest of 3, Table Desk Study.  Officers also have a different Chair Dining.  If I was a WO1 (CWO) I would be allowed to share the Chair Elbow Greenb (?) with the officers.

This is "tri-service" form, put out by their equivalent of CFHA.

Of course the fact that they will furnish PMQs is bonus all in itself.

Another point about rations onboard ships is that the Officers do pay for "extra rations" to get extra food during their meal hours. 99.9% of the time they eat the same as everyone else, but have additional garnishes or side dishes.

Navalsniper-

I wasn't clear from the above if you were still refering to Brit ships, or have switched back to ours.  Just to clear the air, having been the member of 4 Wardrooms in 5 years on the West Coast, I can state pretty categorically that whatever was on the menu in the main cave and the C&POs was also on the menu in the wardroom. I'm pretty sure of this because, being aircrew, my flights often don't work out with the wardroom schedule so it is frequently more convienent for me to get food from the steam line. Same quality (maybe even a bit warmer) at the steam line, every time. I have never paid for "extra rations".  Possibly, some of our salad combinations are different, because the Stewards make them- don't know for sure.  Really, the only difference is the table service (which is often not worth the trouble).  Just to be clear on another point- no one makes my bed, my cabin is only occasionally vacuumed out.  Yeah, someone else cleans the wardroom heads, other than me.  On the other hand, I also write PERS, receive and send endless message traffic daily, ensure training and flights happen each day on time and within the regulations (of which there are thousands- most of which I must know from memory or near memory), lead my own crew, plan my own flights, stay one step ahead of the Captain, worry about the weather, worry about the maintenance state of the aircraft and how it will affect training and operations, make sure that the Chief and the techs are getting taken care of, etc, etc, etc.  It is safe to say that I get less sleep than anyone else on a Det, with the exception of the Chief.  I apologize to all of you if I don't feel bad that I don't have to clean toilets, too.

I have seen poor leadership decisions onboard Ships where some officers felt that they didn't have to land gash or store ship IF THEY WERE NOT OTHERWISE OCCUPIED. For them, I apologise. I have also seen the troopies complaining (as I am humping a 50 lb bag of potatos beside them) that "the wardroom is lazy because Lt so-and-so is not here", when I know full well that he or she is dealing with some Ops problem or is sorting out a flight home for someone whose wife is sick.  My point?  Sometimes, some of us in the military have different levels of responsibility, depending on our position or rank.  Sometimes, the guys in the Main Cave are not in the possession of all the facts.

Cheers.

Navalsnipr said:
Another point about rations onboard ships is that the Officers do pay for "extra rations" to get extra food during their meal hours.

This example came from STJ. I've heard this from a few stewards, so I imagine from your comment that it probably occurs on some, but not all ships.

I must echo your comment about Air Det Officers. From my experience, you will normally always see them pitching in to do the grunt work unless other duties have them otherwise employed.

All ship are different and the Command make up and attitude will determine the dynamics onboard.

We had one MBdr decide to go to the front of the line during meal hour ahead of the recruits. We just watched as we had warned him before, the TSM seen him and lets say gave him an earfull about how the troops come first. I found the Artillery to look after its troops first when it comes to services such as food and such. I am glad to have learned what Leadership meant from the TSM's and BSM's i have worked with. The respect of not walking on the Grass ans such is still ingrained into me.

Whenever someone metions "RHIP" I respond with "RHIR"   Anyone care to venture a guess as to its meaning?

P.S.  It's my 100th Post, maybe it's time for me to start getting a little saucy...

Back