• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ricin Intercepted On The Way To The White House

kkwd

Reaction score
A letter was intercepted that was bound for the White House that possibly contained ricin. It appears it originated in Canada. There are several more sent to Texas apparently from the same sender.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/19/politics/package-poison-ricin-addressed-to-trump-intercepted/index.html

(CNN)A package containing the poison ricin and addressed to President Donald Trump was intercepted by law enforcement earlier this week, according to two law enforcement officials.
Two tests were done to confirm the presence of ricin. All mail for the White House is sorted and screened at an offsite facility before reaching the White House.
A US law enforcement official told CNN that investigators are looking into the possibility the ricin package sent to Trump came from Canada.
Mary-Liz Power, chief spokeswoman for Canada's Minister of Public Safety Bill Blair, said in a statement, "We are aware of the concerning reports of packages containing ricin directed toward US federal government sites. Canadian law enforcement is working closely with their US counterparts. As this is an active investigation we cannot comment further."

The FBI and Secret Service are investigating the matter.
Authorities are investigating additional similar packages mailed to addresses in Texas that may be connected to the same sender in Canada, a US law enforcement official said.
Ricin is a highly toxic compound extracted from castor beans that has been used in terror plots. It can be used in powder, pellet, mist or acid form. If ingested, it causes nausea, vomiting and internal bleeding of the stomach and intestines, followed by failure of the liver, spleen and kidneys, and death by collapse of the circulatory system.
"The FBI and our U.S. Secret Service and U.S. Postal Inspection Service partners are investigating a suspicious letter received at a U.S. government mail facility. At this time, there is no known threat to public safety," the FBI's Washington field office said in a statement to CNN.

CNN has reached out to the Secret Service for comment.

Ricin in the mail is some serious amateur hour nonsense. Do you want INSET? Because that’s how you get INSET.

Brihard said:
Ricin in the mail is some serious amateur hour nonsense. Do you want INSET? Because that’s how you get INSET.

:rofl:  :facepalm:

They don't sound particularly sophisticated...

The Postal Service caught the letter in their sniffing machine. A good thing for everyone.

tomahawk6 said:
The Postal Service caught the letter in their sniffing machine. A good thing for everyone.

At least you guys have modern technology. In some less-developed countries, the "sniffing machine" is probably a position title, and not a piece of equipment.

God bless the USA!  :salute:

La lettre empoisonnée proviendrait de Montréal

La lettre empoisonnée destinée à Donald Trump qui a été interceptée la semaine dernière avant de se rendre à la Maison-Blanche aurait transitée par Montréal.

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2020/09/20/la-lettre-empoisonnee-proviendrait-de-montreal

Some more uptodate info.

The mail sniffers were introduced several years ago when ricin letters were found. The machine was installed to protect people and mail employees. I know a county judge and even his mail is screened for death threats by folks he's put in jail to other types of threats.

reveng said:
In some less-developed countries, the "sniffing machine" is probably a position title, and not a piece of equipment.
:rofl:

Ranks right up there with "Food Taster to the King'' in terms of risk.

The Cdn professor and Trudeau advisor (allegedly) suggesting to burn congress down if POTUS appoints a SC justice is also not a good look.

reveng said:
At least you guys have modern technology. In some less-developed countries, the "sniffing machine" is probably a position title, and not a piece of equipment.

God bless the USA!  :salute:

Good question! I would search out the toxicity on Ricin to find out if it's possible with the volume of mail sent to the president, but it's not a search I would like to have connected to my name, if you know what I mean.

Maybe somebody knows if it's possible? ppm? ppb?

Looks like an arrest has been made.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/politics/poison-ricin-addressed-trump-arrest/index.html

QV said:
The Cdn professor and Trudeau advisor (allegedly) suggesting to burn congress down if POTUS appoints a SC justice is also not a good look.

Also completely irrelevant to the subject of the thread. Sorta seems like you’re trolling in order to take a partisan shot.

Remius said:
Looks like an arrest has been made.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/politics/poison-ricin-addressed-trump-arrest/index.html

Mails a poisoned letter to the White House using regular mail, then a few days later tries to enter the US with a gun?  :facepalm:

I wish Covid only targeted really stupid people...

As President Trump has a duty to fill the vacancy and the Senate has its role to play.

CBH99 said:
Mails a poisoned letter to the White House using regular mail, then a few days later tries to enter the US with a gun?  :facepalm:

I wish Covid only targeted really stupid people...

Smart enough to make ricin.  But that’s seems to be where it ends lol.

I bet she figured that her ricin plan failed she would just go the old fashioned way.  I mean, it worked for John Wilkes Booth right?

Remius said:
Smart enough to make ricin.  But that’s seems to be where it ends lol.

I bet she figured that her ricin plan failed she would just go the old fashioned way.  I mean, it worked for John Wilkes Booth right?

Ricin is actually surprisingly easy to extract from castor beans and they sell castor plants for border plants as well as for the making castor oil at home (they have big green shiny leaves and look vaguely tropical). Unfortunately nature is full of really easy to harvest toxins and poisons (like nicotine or botulinum), but glad they have machines to detect this kind of stuff.

Not a Trump fan, but don't think murder is the way to go.

I’m curious to find out whether the suspect is Canadian, American or both.

Brihard said:
I’m curious to find out whether the suspect is Canadian, American or both.

Could be anyone.  What I would like to know is why she thought crossing a mostly closed border was a good idea.

Legally owned gun? Brought in from the US the heading back?

So many questions on this one.  But good on the border guys to have caught her.

Back