• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC - CARS WHILE AT RMC HELP

blainevj

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I got accepted to RMC for this up coming year as a Mars officer. Now that everything is falling into place i' :salute:m trying to figure out what i should do with my vehicle. I live in B.C. right now and the recruiting office says that they can put it into storage for me.

I was just wondering what the deal with cars is at RMC, whether or not you are allowed a car in your first year and the other years.

If anyone knows there insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Blainevj :salute:

Don't guote me on this, but...I believe students are allowed to bring their POMVs to Kingston.  RMC students park next to the gym across the street from and off campus from RMC.  I would suggest you ask your recruiter about taking your vehicle (POMV) to RMC, registering in Ontario and having wheels while in school.  Kingston can be a B I G place without wheels.
My 0.02.  BYTD

You can bring it if you want.  There is a parking lot just outside the main gates (~1 km from the dorms)... however, it would probably be cheaper to leave it and save the gas/insurance money.  Your insurance probably stipulates that you have to be in BC for a certain percentage of time (8 months/year?), and you will have to get Ontario insurance (expensive).  I have a car right now, and insurance alone takes up almost half of my salary :(  I'd wait out, and if you are just dying to have it after first year, go for it.

I did 3 years without a car in Ktown and I had no problem going around from RMC.  Everything essential is within walking distance.

Max

Blainevj,
  I hope this will give you some insight. I am an RMC student from BC such as yourself. In my openion, durring your first semmester at rmc you really arn't going to have much need for a car(fyop, getting into academic routine, being a first year.) What I did was wait until the summer,(for me between 2nd and 3rd year), and using my LTA I drove out from BC. If you can insure your car with ICBC you are going to save a lot of money as insurance in Ontario is very costly. Also, your gas and maintinance costs are covered by your LTA. Honestly if you can get them BC plates are a great thing to have! I have a bit of a heavy foot and it has saved me from the OPP a few times.

Good Luck!

OH and one other point! ICBC allows you to insure your car out of province because you are a student, it is more costly, but cheeper than ontario insurance

Back