• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Role of Officer vs job of NCM [Merged]

Tell them you are interested in SEP as soon as you talk to them

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96#college-2

The application deadline for the Non-Commissioned Member Subsidized Education Plan is in January for the fall college session.

Talk to a recruiter. They will 1) help you choose the best paid education plan for your specific career path, and 2) will tell you which college programs are currently supported by the Canadian Armed Forces.

Since I'm currently not in Canada and cannot call up a recruitment center, would anyone know if a Combat Engineer would qualify for SEP?
If not, is there any other way to get a paid education?

WhySoSerious said:
Since I'm currently not in Canada and cannot call up a recruitment center, would anyone know if a Combat Engineer would qualify for SEP?
If not, is there any other way to get a paid education?

AFAIK, NCM-SEP is for trades that have some civilian equivalency such as Cook, Communications, etc.

There are other ways to get a education in the CF, but they wouldn't be an option for you until later on your in your career.  At the start of your career, it is either ROTP/MOTP/DOTP/CEOTP-Pilot/SEELM for Officer and NCM-SEP for NCM.

At this point in time, IMO you are better off searching the forums and reading up on the CF Recruiting website.  I believe there may be a email contact for recruiting, plus you can also get a calling card and call them(or wait till you get back to Canada).

WhySoSerious said:
Later on? That's alright, I guess. Anything in particular?

I can't think of the programs off the top of my head; if you get in and complete your training you'll have to speak with a PSO to go over your options.

You can also look into schools that offer distance learning, etc and do courses on your off time(and your money).

Oh. Thanks everyone. If anyone can think of any, I'd like to know about it so I can read more about it. Thanks.

WhySoSerious said:
- Would we be allowed to have our belongings over (Laptop, phone) on campus? Would I have time to get them shipped? Or would I have to do it earlier, like after AIT?

- Is this like any normal University? Would we have free time to just chill out? Or would it be class, drills, training, sleep? For example: Would there be people playing PS3 or whatever during their own time? (Not planning on it.. Just an example)

Yes, bring a laptop, desktop, cell phone tv, coffee maker, xbox, whatever. First year's are a little more restricted on what they are allowed to have in their rooms, but after 1st year it's pretty much anything goes as long as your room is kept tidy.

It's not a normail university. You will have mandatory sports and early morning activities. That being said, you will have a ton of free time. There is a campus pub, and Kingston just a 15 walk away, 4th year psych students have like, 9 hours of class a week, and they spend the rest of their time during the day napping, working out or playing videogames. Video games are very popular there, as is drinking and exercising, go figure.

Hey,

I am just wondering how common it is for a university educated NCM to commission after serving for a particular period of time. Also, I have read that it is a fairly difficult process to commission as an NCM, is this true? Although I am not currently a member of the CF, I ask these questions because I am currently in the application process. I have applied for the Infantry Officer position, but am considering switching it to the NCM position despite the fact that I will soon have completed my degree. I have absolutely no doubt that I want to be an officer and a leader in the CF, but at the same time part of me feels that learning to follow before learning to lead could help me become a better officer. Also, after looking at the list of training courses offered to the Infantry, I noticed some cool courses that were available to NCMs but not officers. Maybe I am overthinking this, it wouldn't surprise me because I am ridiculously psyched for this, but I just wanna know the thoughts of experienced members.

Thanks,

Jay,

peltch34 said:
Hey,

I am just wondering how common it is for a university educated NCM to commission after serving for a particular period of time. Also, I have read that it is a fairly difficult process to commission as an NCM, is this true? Although I am not currently a member of the CF, I ask these questions because I am currently in the application process. I have applied for the Infantry Officer position, but am considering switching it to the NCM position despite the fact that I will soon have completed my degree. I have absolutely no doubt that I want to be an officer and a leader in the CF, but at the same time part of me feels that learning to follow before learning to lead could help me become a better officer. Also, after looking at the list of training courses offered to the Infantry, I noticed some cool courses that were available to NCMs but not officers. Maybe I am overthinking this, it wouldn't surprise me because I am ridiculously psyched for this, but I just wanna know the thoughts of experienced members.

Thanks,

Jay,

Merged several on topic threads (that took maybe 15 seconds to find with google, and the terms NCM to Officer).  And since there is now 18 pages of discussiona and back and forth about how one goes from one side to the other, and the merits of either stream, I am fairly confident all points have been covered.  It would take a person maybe an hour to read from begining to end.  So on that note, this will be locked and stickied.  If you or anyone else feels they have something PERTINENT and NEW to add to the discussion PM a staff member to discuss the merits of your case for inclusion.

Hatchet Man

I have been checking through the forums for information on this topic, and while there is a decent amount, a lot is quite old so I was looking for new thoughts and or information.  My dilemma is that I am not sure if I want to begin my military career as an NCM infantry and work three years, or whatever the length of time it may be and then possibly move into an officer position, or use my post secondary degree and go through the DEO route.  My recruiter asked me why I would not go the DEO route and honestly for me I wanted to enter via NCM purely because before being an officer I wanted to do some time and get a feel for what it was like being in the military rather than dropping right into a leadership position following training.  Now I know from some of my friends in the military that DEO officers are treated at a little differently just due to the fact that they have not served and are using their degree to get a higher rank etc etc.

Now, I have not started my application just due to the fact that I am still debating both options.  So I was just looking to hear from anyone who is in a similar circumstance debating the very same thing, or possibly individuals who made the decision to go one way or the other and why they did. 

All input is greatly appreciated.

It's all about how young you are as an Officer.  That is to say, "Oh look at Maj X, so young.  Going places." or "Oh, you're 33 and a Captain? Yeah... you'll make Major and that's about it." I am not an NCM, so I cannot speak to that side of the house, but I suspect there is some of the same.

Now that is obviously a bit exaggerated, but there is truth in it.

If you want to be an officer then go that route.  You want to be enlisted, then go that route.  Don't go into one with plans to go to the other, I would say that is a waste of your time and energy.  Not to mention, once you're in, you're in.  That is to say, you're now filling a spot and doing a job that you've been trained to do, so I wouldn't expect the process of commissioning to be quick.  It can quickly be delayed for simple reasons.

Pick one route, then go it.

H11F.

I joined as an NCM with the intention of going Officer and got my commission this summer (less than two years after joining). That being said I was incredibly lucky to have been selected so quickly. I know of other people that waited 7 years to be accepted for commission. This timing depends on the route you are taking to commission as well as how competitive your profile is and the time frame is different for everyone. It would be very difficult for anyone, regardless of experience, to tell you how long it would take you specifically to commission through the ranks.

jemcgrg said:
I joined as an NCM with the intention of going Officer and got my commission this summer (less than two years after joining). That being said I was incredibly lucky to have been selected so quickly. I know of other people that waited 7 years to be accepted for commissionselected for officer training thru one of the various programs. This timing depends on the route program you are taking to commission applying to as well as how competitive your profile is and the time frame is different for everyone. It would be very difficult for anyone, regardless of experience, to tell you how long it would take you specifically to commission through the ranks be selected (if at all) when you applied.

Just getting you used to having your stuff 'staffed'  ;D.

jemcgrg said:
Those corrections seem unnecessary.

At the same time, not everyone is going to be whatever they want to be, no matter what their Mothers told them.

Most definitely. And I certainly wasn't implying that they would.

George Wallace said:
At the same time, not everyone is going to be whatever they want to be, no matter what their Mothers told them.

jemcgrg said:
Those corrections seem unnecessary.

Well, Sheldon, sorry for an attempt at humour which apparently is not jiving with your logic.

sheldon-cooper-wrong.png

Your attempt at humour was certainly lost on me. My apologies. People are very quick to criticize on this site which I thought was your intention as well.

Nope!  I didn't swear and I used a  ;D

No worries.  Just an attempt to welcome  you to the world of having everything you write staffed (assuming you hadn't before with so little TI).

Cheers and good luck!  (not being sarcastic)

Back