• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Thread starter Duotone81
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Piper said:
The answer is no.

ROTP students are not eligible for overseas exchanges/study terms. Some RMC types get the opportunity to go to Sandhurst competitions etc, but that's about it as far as 'exchanges' go. There have been exceptions but they are extremely rare.
Piper said:
Like I said, it happens. But it's rare. It's one of those things I wouldn't count on.

Wrong.

These exchanges are commonplace. Already been pointed out by another poster. As a side note, I'm actually going down to West Point on the 5th. No, such things are not rare.

cheeky_monkey said:
Wrong.

These exchanges are commonplace. Already been pointed out by another poster. As a side note, I'm actually going down to West Point on the 5th. No, such things are not rare.

Just curious.

You are going down to West Point on the 5th.  For how long and why (Crse) ?

West Point Weekend. Yes, a weekend, however it is one of those little trips that apparently don't happen very often. My point is that RMC and USMA West Point have a history of exchanges, weekends trips and the like. Piper's statement that these things don't happen very often isn't true.

Piper said:
Some RMC types get the opportunity to go to Sandhurst competitions etc, but that's about it as far as 'exchanges' go.

cheeky_monkey said:
West Point Weekend. Yes, a weekend, however it is one of those little trips that apparently don't happen very often. My point is that RMC and USMA West Point have a history of exchanges, weekends trips and the like. Piper's statement that these things don't happen very often isn't true.

I don't think you have paid enough detail to this discusion.  This isn't about a weekend trip to West Point.  This topic is about the chances for an exchange where a person can do a year or two of studies at a foreign university, be it civilian or a military college.

No one has denied that weekend and other "visits" don't happen.  It is the actual long term study at another university.

cheeky_monkey said:
Wrong.

The original topic was about studying abroad, for example..."study a semester in Australia". Around normal university campuses these options are widespread and varied. The OP was asking about being able to go on one of these.

A weekend in West Point IS NOT an exchange...nor is it 'studying abroad for a semester' which was the OP's original question. We are talking about two different things. So yes, I am right.

For CIVVIE U types, being allowed to study abroad is a rarity. Going down to West Point for a booze-soaked jaunt is something completely different.

So, next time, READ the original question, ENGAGE your brain and THEN start typing.

::)

George Wallace said:
I don't think you have paid enough detail to this discusion.  This isn't about a weekend trip to West Point.  This topic is about the chances for an exchange where a person can do a year or two of studies at a foreign university, be it civilian or a military college.

No one has denied that weekend and other "visits" don't happen.  It is the actual long term study at another university.

I understand that, however Piper did state RMC only has limited opportunities to study or travel abroad. I know this to be false.

Piper said:
ROTP students are not eligible for overseas exchanges/study terms. Some RMC types get the opportunity to go to Sandhurst competitions etc, but that's about it as far as 'exchanges' go. There have been exceptions but they are extremely rare.

Piper said:
A weekend in West Point IS NOT an exchange...nor is it 'studying abroad for a semester' which was the OP's original question. We are talking about two different things. So yes, I am right.
No, you're right, it's not. However you stated RMC had limited opportunities, aside from Sandhurst Competition, to travel to other Military Academies. This is not true. Hence my informing you of the USMA trip of which a large number of cadets will be taking part.
Going down to West Point for a booze-soaked jaunt is something completely different.
So, next time, READ the original question, ENGAGE your brain and THEN start typing.

Debatable. Also, don't assume there will be a booze soaked jaunt, apparently you don't understand how strict USMA is when it comes to alcohol. Return to and don't stray from your lane when it comes to info concerning RMC.

Edited for SP

cheeky_monkey;

Don't tell me to stay in my lane re: RMC. I've got looooooooooooooots of friends who go there and I know exactly what goes on (all those facebook pictures are great evidence too, not that I really care what you guys do, nothing worse then what goes on here). Everyone else here got the gist of what I was saying except you. You guys have lots of opportunities to travel and spend terms at various Mil Cols (mostly USMA). Notice the 'etc' I added after 'Sandhurst'.

I was referring to civvie-u types when I was referring to limited opportunities.  As far as ROTP goes, RMC types get most, if not nearly all, of the opportunities for any kind of 'exchange' or 'visit'. That's what I said, and it's telling that you're the only one who didn't catch on.

This is rediculous. I'll state my point again, in simple language just for you;

- For the most part, the chance to study abroad for a semester (of the 'study in country X' type) is not available to any ROTP types, although there have been exceptions when the case is made in favour of it.
- In the case of RMC, they get the opportunity to travel for short periods of time (Sandhurst et al) to other Mil Cols, and occasionally go on longer exchanges (treated like your standard exchange that we find across the CF). They do not normally, with very rare exceptions, get the chance to study at civvy schools for a term (same as civvie-u ROTP types).

And RMC, compared to normal students in normal schools, DO have limited opportunities to travel. This is because every trip is done at the taxpayers expense, hence why they aren't as available as they would be on a civvy campus (I could go study in Madagascar if I wanted to, if I was a civvy) and are more 'military' in nature.

Your screen name is rather appropriate at this moment. Back to your corner.

Piper said:
Going down to West Point for a booze-soaked jaunt is something completely different.

Going down to USMA is most definitely not a booze-soaked jaunt. It's coming up to RMC from USMA that's a booze-soaked jaunt. :cheers:

Piper said:
Your screen name is rather appropriate at this moment. Back to your corner.

Now now, personal swipes are not only against forum conduct, they're also a sign of a poor leader. Correct the man; state your position. Other than that, be civil.

Lumber said:
Now now, personal swipes are not only against forum conduct, they're also a sign of a poor leader. Correct the man; state your position. Other than that, be civil.

Oh I just knew it was a matter of time until you chimed in. It's not an insult, merely an observation of the appropriatness of the poster's display name.

Going down to USMA is most definitely not a booze-soaked jaunt. It's coming up to RMC from USMA that's a booze-soaked jaunt. :cheers:

I always found the Ex-Cadet weekend to be a better party anyways, but thats just IMHO.

Hey, I'm waiting for acceptance as well. It's really stressful! I want to know so badly!!
How do they contact you? By mail or phone?
Just wondering, anyone here from Nova Scotia applying to RMC?

Clew said:
Hey, I'm waiting for acceptance as well. It's really stressful! I want to know so badly!!
How do they contact you? By mail or phone?
Just wondering, anyone here from Nova Scotia applying to RMC?

Annapolis Valley here :)

And I believe they contact you by phone.

Hurray, more people  ;D.

Update: Forms have been faxed in. Let's hope and pray we here something by the end of the month  :-\.

Awesome! I'm from Halifax. Glad there are some maritimers!
When I went up to see RMC over christmas break everyone there was from ontario!  ::)

I'm not from the maritimes... I'm from Newfoundland  ;D. Close, but technically incorrect  :-[.

Maybe thats because everyone else went home or somewhere else for the break... I know I want to go somewhere over Christmas break next year if I make it to RMC... ROAD TRIP!!! Whew.

By the way Clew, what trades did you apply for and what degree are you going for? So far, most of the people who posted are going for a Combat Arms position with a MSS degree.

2 days to the selection board sits... Electricity is in the air.

HA! never knew Newfoundland wasn't part of the maritimes, had to look that up to make sure!
I applied for intelligence officer, with a degree in either political sciences or economics. You?
I went at the end of christmas break so there were quite a few people there, but you're right alot must have been away. I have been recruited to one of their varsity teams and most of the people on the team are from ontario. was hoping for some more maritimers!
If i get in I won't be taking a road trip during christmas break, hahah i'll be going home! second year i'll definitely go on a trip though!!

I applied for Infantry Officer as my first choice(I think so... been a while since I saw the paperwork  ;D) and I was either a MMS or History degree.

I didn't bother with varsity teams. Though I was standing on a lot of athletic achievements(mostly wrestling), I don't really think I want to get involved in the whole varsity sports thing. Though I might consider going for Small Forward or Shooting Guard on the basketball team depending on how things play out.

Psh... You say that now. After a semester, you'll probably want to go nuts.

I just thought of something... First years can go to either RMCC or RMCSJ. So, what if we all get seperated in the first year? If we don't meat early, we'll probably never meet  :o. Assuming we all get in of course.  :blotto:

or what if we do talk to each other and don't know that we've actually talked before? hahaha
assuming we get in.

BMS, we can always hook up in Kingston 2nd year regardless unless you plan on ditching the Milnet.ca boards :P

And I never received those backcheck forms, odd. Oh well :)

Clew said:
or what if we do talk to each other and don't know that we've actually talked before? hahaha
assuming we get in.

I will prance around in my army.ca shirt and that should be a good sign. haha

Marshall, you're from the Valley too? Crazy. I'm from Berwick but I'm going to Dalhousie right now.

Suppose that means we're competition for each other? haha

Good points guys... We can arrange meetings on the board  ;D. I don't think I'll ditch Milnet... Maybe in a few years, I can actually contribute  :-*.

Maybe you did the BackCheck forms already. If they haven't said anything, don't worry about it.

Plus, once we find out who's accepted where... Pictures? A lot easier than looking for an army.ca tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back