• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Academics is a big part, I was rejected from both RMCC and Civi U ROTP this year because of my gr. 11 math mark. Last year they had a lower number of applicants as a result the academic average was not as strictly enforced. This year I have heard they have a high number of applicants meaning every ones file is going to be under the microscope and academics ill play a large part in that.

KerryBlue said:
Academics is a big part, I was rejected from both RMCC and Civi U ROTP this year because of my gr. 11 math mark. Last year they had a lower number of applicants as a result the academic average was not as strictly enforced. This year I have heard they have a high number of applicants meaning every ones file is going to be under the microscope and academics ill play a large part in that.

Similar experiences, when I applied I had an overall average of around 73%. I was declined, and the reason given was academic competitiveness.

That being said I was told that if your average is low you can make it up in other areas by the recruiters. If you don't get in just reapply again. The former cadet who came to my school for RMC had applied 3 times, he got in the 3rd time.

Good luck. 

theOfficialRJ said:
My question is would my academic performance in high school hold me back

It depends on which "degree" you would be trying to pursue.  The academic requirements for an Arts degree, Science degree and Engineering degree are all different.

runormal said:
Similar experiences, when I applied I had an overall average of around 73%. I was declined, and the reason given was academic competitiveness.

Well I finished with an 81-2 average in Grade 12. I studied at Queens, and now Carleton....Most schools don't look at anything except grade 12 average, so I mean for RMC to be looking at grade 11 must mean its quite competitive this year. When I was the the Ottawa RC speaking to my file manager there were 8-10 kids there that day doing medicals and interviews.

KerryBlue said:
Well I finished with an 81-2 average in Grade 12. I studied at Queens, and now Carleton....Most schools don't look at anything except grade 12 average, so I mean for RMC to be looking at grade 11 must mean its quite competitive this year. When I was the the Ottawa RC speaking to my file manager there were 8-10 kids there that day doing medicals and interviews.

I should of put the date I applied, I applied back in 2010-2011. They told me my average overall from grade 9-12 was 73% and they used that. But my grade 12 average was 83.5% (Top 6)  :facepalm:

I was also told that I was only able to apply for arts program. Which I assume was related to me:
A) Not having Calc,
B) No Physics
C) Chem mark of 75% in G 11 and Bio mark of 64%

But each year is different, so as always your mileage may vary.

runormal said:
I should of put the date I applied, I applied back in 2010-2011. They told me my average overall from grade 9-12 was 73% and they used that. But my grade 12 average was 83.5% (Top 6)  :facepalm:

I was also told that I was only able to apply for arts program. Which I assume was related to me:
A) Not having Calc,
B) No Physics
C) Chem mark of 75% in G 11 and Bio mark of 64%

But each year is different, so as always your mileage may vary.

Ah makes sense, I applied as a transfer last year but couldnt finish for medical reasons, and once again this year.

Academics are even more crucial this year (albeit in my humble opinion pretty poorly scrutinized). I made it past the initial academic phase last year after a year and a half in college and was deemed a strong applicant (unfortunately was unable to be merit listed). This year due to changes in procedure I was turned down, despite having better college marks, due to lower grades in high school.

Edit to add: To clarify it was not just my grade improvement that made me question their new procedures. The bigger reason is that one of the RMC admissions officers looked over my transcripts and said they were both  ROTP and RMC eligible.

how much does university mark count towards ROTP? High school was fine but university transcript is with WES for evaluation at the moment. Hope my 2.8 doesn't cause me to drop out.  :-[

fruitflavor said:
how much does university mark count towards ROTP? High school was fine but university transcript is with WES for evaluation at the moment. Hope my 2.8 doesn't cause me to drop out.  :-[

The way I understand it, High School marks are looked at first and College or University marks are looked at as an "enhancer".

DAA said:
The way I understand it, High School marks are looked at first and College or University marks are looked at as an "enhancer".

I still think this does not make sense. Post-secondary mark are a representation of who you ARE, whereas high school marks are a representation of who you WERE.

PS: Just my thoughts, not being argumentative.

DAA said:

Personally, it was my college grades that disqualified me the first time I applied (Or so my interviewer told me), since my high school grades were pretty good. But I'm guessing my situation might have been different since I had been out of high school for quite a while.

I know that they are making selections in the next few months and by that time I would not have my final marks for my second semester classes (I am in Grade 12).  Would they weigh the my previous grade marks more?

They look at your most recent marks and weigh those the heaviest, so in your and my case they will most likely look at first semester grade 12 marks and grade 11 marks (grade 12 marks being weighed more). However if you are not picked up during the 1st round of selections you may be able to send in your grade 12 mid-term grades. Not 100% sure though.

StudentPilot23 said:
They look at your most recent marks and weigh those the heaviest....

Keep in mind this is specifically for high schoolers. Those in college have a more wonky marking/rating system that is used in determining academic suitability.

I'm so frustrated right now, I just discovered an email from the forces telling me to come into the recruiting center from a month ago! I don't know how it went unread as I'm very consistent with checking my email. Hopefully it's not too late for me to continue my application.

Call your file manager rightaway and explain. Hope it is not too late. Good luck.

I have my own experience and went thro my own does of stress. I had received a phone call a month ago while I was in the class. No voice msg left. Called everyone I knew at the CFRC and no luck. One officer said they have a protocol of leaving a msg always if it is important and followed by an email if calls are not through. So he said it could be a mistaken call.

So I am surprised that you didn't get a phone call either.

SJRubio said:
I'm so frustrated right now, I just discovered an email from the forces telling me to come into the recruiting center from a month ago! I don't know how it went unread as I'm very consistent with checking my email. Hopefully it's not too late for me to continue my application.

You might want to check your email again while you're at it.  Sometimes they send follow-up emails and forms to complete.

Hi to everyone,

Second try for the ROTP. I'm actually a NCIOP in the RESNAV and I'm supposed to do my QL1 this summer at Halifax. I applied last year for the ROTP for RMC and CivU, but I was refused (sadly). This year, I'm reapplying for the ROTP (1er choice : MARSS 2nd choice : Intel) in military studies and strategic at the RMC and in History at University Laval. I was accepted at this CivU in the late February, only if I get my CEGEP diploma in Human Science (Which won't be hard).

I'm still waiting for my interview date. I was told by the MWO at Ottawa that it should come soon and that my file is in second review process. I hope this year is gonna be the good one!

Cheers!

I am already merit listed for the ROTP and just waiting for the final decision. Meanwhile, I redid one of my grade 11 subject and got it improved. I am going to send my new transcripts to my file manger. Not sure whether this will improved my odds or not and also not sure whether it is too late to add it in.  Will find out soon.

Currently attending Queens (first year) and i applied to the ROTP hoping to maintain at Queens, (civilian university) When i visited the recruiting centre they told me the deadline had past for ROTP by a week but where still accepting applications and i could still try. So about 2 weeks ago i fully applied and put my application and both transcripts (for high school and University) to the RMC moodle. I'm just wondering if its normal for them to take a few weeks to get back to you after you submit everything. I'm just a little worry since i did apply past deadline yet was told it would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back