• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

Is anyone applying from Vancouver or BC? I've thought about applying to the Army since I was a teenager but have only recently felt confident in my abilities to become a valuable member of the CF. I'm currently in College and University - College for my Diploma in Criminology (taking my last class) and University for my BA Degree in Criminology (third year). It's been a long road but I'm very ready to begin my career in the military. My choices for employment are as follows:

Military PO
Intelligence
Legal

I thought I would put a message up here and see how everyone is doing with the process. My application date was June 25th... super early, yes, but I am eager to get the process moving and wanted to ensure I gave myself plenty of time to make my application as complete and concise as possible!

I wish everyone the best of luck in this journey!

Cheers :cdn:

Gotstadreambig said:
Hello Everyone,

Is anyone applying from Vancouver or BC? I've thought about applying to the Army since I was a teenager but have only recently felt confident in my abilities to become a valuable member of the CF. I'm currently in College and University - College for my Diploma in Criminology (taking my last class) and University for my BA Degree in Criminology (third year). It's been a long road but I'm very ready to begin my career in the military. My choices for employment are as follows:

Military PO
Intelligence
Legal

I thought I would put a message up here and see how everyone is doing with the process. My application date was June 25th... super early, yes, but I am eager to get the process moving and wanted to ensure I gave myself plenty of time to make my application as complete and concise as possible!

I wish everyone the best of luck in this journey!

Cheers :cdn:

I don't want to kill your hopes, but you might want to check the availability of your choices. I know that for ROTP 2013-2014 there was only 1 MPO spot and 0 Int O spots. I looked at a chart the other day when I stopped in to a recruiting center to pick something up and noticed a lot more closed trades for this ROTP compared to last year. In addition, on the FORCES.CA website the only entry plan for Legal Officer is Direct Entry: http://forces.ca/en/job/legalofficer-64#education-3
You might want to contact your local recruiter to see what options may be available for you.

Conz said:
I don't want to kill your hopes, but you might want to check the availability of your choices. I know that for ROTP 2013-2014 there was only 1 MPO spot and 0 Int O spots. I looked at a chart the other day when I stopped in to a recruiting center to pick something up and noticed a lot more closed trades for this ROTP compared to last year. In addition, on the FORCES.CA website the only entry plan for Legal Officer is Direct Entry: http://forces.ca/en/job/legalofficer-64#education-3
You might want to contact your local recruiter to see what options may be available for you.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that my choices are tough ones and yes, I realize that Legal is direct entry. However, I am currently in school completing my education and wanted to at least try - you never know until to exert the effort. I have thought about looking at other options as well but I intend to complete what I have started as far as my education goes. What is the worst that can happen? I complete my education on my own and re-apply as NCM or Direct Entry for my specific job choice. Either way I am in this for the long haul!

So again, I appreciate the heads up but I will continue pursuing my goal.

Sending well wishes for your entry :)

There aren't any Legal ROTP slots as the current entry standards require that "All Legal Officers must be admitted to the Bar of a Canadian province or territory, and be a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial law society." Thus, Legal officer will be removed from your ROTP application once it is received at the Recruiting Centre. There is the potential of having a law degree subsidized after completing your bachelors degree, however that stream is closed at the moment.

Also, Intelligence positions are largely being recruited from within the CAF ranks. Both the NCM and Officer trade are closed for the year to off the street applicants. There is a chance it could open for ROTP, but it is currently closed.

The ROTP campaign is set to kick off shortly, so we're hoping the recruitment numbers follow shortly after that.

Best of luck on your applications.

Cheers!

Yes, it would appear as though I have to do some more work! Haha

I was corrected today, I should have applied for MP not MPO... my mistake. I will indeed be changing my two other options, it's a good thing I had applied so early in the process. Now I will rethink things and either complete my degree and re-enter as an NCM or move ahead in something totally new. Who knows!

Things are going to get going very soon - Good Luck to all :)

I sent my application in for ROTP for Pilot back on August 5th, after a month of nothing except the initial automated e-mail, I called North Bay and no one picked up, when I called my recruiting center (CFRC Hamilton) I was told that they weren`t processing ROTP applicants until end of September or early October.

t.robichaud said:
I sent my application in for ROTP for Pilot back on August 5th, after a month of nothing except the initial automated e-mail, I called North Bay and no one picked up, when I called my recruiting center (CFRC Hamilton) I was told that they weren`t processing ROTP applicants until end of September or early October.

That's weird. It took North Bay only a few days to transfer my application to CFRC London. Getting a hold of the guys in North Bay is a pain. Sometimes you just have to keep calling at 30 min intervals until someone picks up. Be careful though when talking to your CFRC. They may not be "processing" ROTP applications yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't accepting them. Call CFVRC North Bay back and check the status of your file. If it's been transferred call CFRC Hamilton and schedule your CFAT!

Best of luck  ;D

StudentPilot23 said:
That's weird. It took North Bay only a few days to transfer my application to CFRC London. Getting a hold of the guys in North Bay is a pain. Sometimes you just have to keep calling at 30 min intervals until someone picks up. Be careful though when talking to your CFRC. They may not be "processing" ROTP applications yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't accepting them. Call CFVRC North Bay back and check the status of your file. If it's been transferred call CFRC Hamilton and schedule your CFAT!

Best of luck  ;D

Thanks for the advice and will do! I`ll post my results here.

Conz said:
I don't want to kill your hopes, but you might want to check the availability of your choices. I looked at a chart the other day when I stopped in to a recruiting center to pick something up and noticed a lot more closed trades for this ROTP compared to last year. You might want to contact your local recruiter to see what options may be available for you.

Interesting!!!  I haven't even seen the 2014 ROTP Campaign plan/guidance yet so don't quite understand how you could have seen numbers.  So even if they contacted their local recruiter about options, they wouldn't get any.

I'm current at RMC St.Jean for my first year. I was accepted for 2013-2014 in the engineering program.
I am from Vancouver, BC.
My initial offer was pilot, but I declined it. I received a new offer for AEC a month or two later, which I accepted.
A lot of people seemed surprised by what I did. I didn't want pilot because the service time was way too long for me. 7 years after you get your wings... expect to be in the forces a decade or two.
2013-2014 was a great year to apply for pilot, about 56 pilot slots were available I believe.
Bad year for AEC, only 11 positions on my year. I picked AEC because it had the coolest specializations. (And shorter service period).
If you have any questions, feel free to throw them at me.
They usually select around 200 ~ 250 people I believe. In my intake at St.Jean, 20-40 kids VRed because they couldn't handle the OP.
Numbers of acceptances vary depending on year and trade.

Hey Globemaster - it's nice to see someone else from Vancouver  :)

Well, I have done some more research and have decided to change my occupation choices.

1) Artillery Officer
2) Military Police
3) Intelligence Operator/Signals Officer

I really find the engineer officer appealing but my education in Criminology won't help me there! Haha! I'm super interested in Artillery - I've studied both the officer and soldier position and I have found very limited differences between the two. I would love to do either but can anyone open my eyes to the difference? I do want to finish my degree so I think the officer position would be better.

I still haven't heard from the RC but I am hopeful I will over the next couple of weeks  :)

It's been approximately two weeks since I've mailed my documentations to CFVRC so I decided to give them a call a discovered my application is now transferred to CFRC Hamilton :)

Hello,

I was hoping that someone more familiar with the following subjects would be able to help me in regards to 1)  if I would be considered as a viable applicant for the "ROTP" program 2) when would be the ideal time of application for my specific situation, and finally 3) which occupation I should enroll into.

I've just recently started my last year of high school (grade 12) and I have been considering joining the military for about 3 years now. With grade 11 marks alone (all pre-university level) I've been able to achieve an overall average of roughly 78%. I am completely bilingual in English, as well as french. When it comes to extra curricular activities, since grade 7 I've made my schools basket-ball, volley-ball, badminton and cross-country running team, in addition this year I've started to play rugby (also on our schools varsity team). Finally, concerning part time employment, I am currently employed as a Lifeguard/ swimming instructor with the city.

Ideally, I would like to become an officer in the military (meaning I would need to complete undergraduate degree). I will be applying shortly to university hopefully in either Human kinetics, health science and nutrition. Here's the problem, if I were to be so blessed as to be accepted and finish one of these undergraduate degrees I still wouldn't know which occupation I should work as in the military- they all seem to be so interesting and action filled. Because of this "identity crisis" Im not 100% certain if applying for the "ROTP" program would be the right move at this junctior.

Personally, Its not a matter of "if" I am going to join the military its more a matter of "when". I appreciate whoever ends up taking the time to read and respond to the questions from my post.

Thank you in advance for your time,

J.J.Y

J.J.Y said:
Hello,
I was hoping that someone more familiar with the following subjects would be able to help me in regards to 1)  if I would be considered as a viable applicant for the "ROTP" program 2) when would be the ideal time of application for my specific situation, and finally 3) which occupation I should enroll into.
\

1.  Everyone is considered to be a "viable" applicant.  There are alot of factors that go into the selection process, so it is impossible to say whether or not you would receive an offer but you do appear to be on the right track.  Just need to get your marks up a bit more.

2.  Entering into Gr 12 is the proper time to apply.  If you do decide to submit an application, then just make sure you do this PRIOR to the advertised deadline.

3.  Keep looking over the job possibilities.  It is entirely up to you to make a decision.  You can always visit your local Recruiting Centre and ask to speak with a Recruiter or MCC and discuss the ROTP/RMC option as well as your interests.  They may be able to point you in the direction of some occupations that may be a good fit.

I got sent earlier today the link to the RMC questionnaire (Moodle), but it will not open in either chrome or internet explorer. Anybody else having the same difficulties?

You should have received an email earlier this afternoon telling you to copy & paste the URL into the browser of your choice.

Clicking the links in the email are tied to a faulty hyperlink, but the addresses themselves work if copied & pasted.

People going forward will have a slightly difference process for receiving ROTP links, so these issues should resolve themselves.

Cheers.

Heff18 said:
You should have received an email earlier this afternoon telling you to copy & paste the URL into the browser of your choice.

Clicking the links in the email are tied to a faulty hyperlink, but the addresses themselves work if copied & pasted.

People going forward will have a slightly difference process for receiving ROTP links, so these issues should resolve themselves.

Cheers.

Yeah it's working fine now. Thanks.

Has any else not received an email yet? My hope is that some recruiting centres are simply faster than others. Am I just a worry wart?  ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back