• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pusser said:
You have two options, both of which you should pursue:

1)  Contact the university, explain the situation and see if you can pre-register; also

2)  Explain this to your BMOQ staff and ask them for time off during the course to register (I presume you can do this on-line, so you wouldn't miss much).  It's in everyone's best interests for you to be able to do this, so they should be supportive.

If you already have contact with your University Liaison Officer (ULO), it would be good to engage him/her as he/she has a vested interest in you academic progress.  It wouldn't hurt to engage the recruiting centre in this either.  They may be able to advise the Recruit School or get you in contact with your ULO.

The element in your favour is that your military duty for the next few years is to attend school and do as well as possible.  Not allowing you to register properly is counter-productive.  Hopefully, everyone will understand and support you on this.

I have given you some options here to pursue, but don't expect everything to happen for you.  As long as you approach this professionally (i.e. ask politely, don't whine - it's not about what's best for you, but rather what's best for the CAF), no one will give you a hard time for asking.  However, other people have other things to do, so your priorities may not match theirs.  Therefore, you need to stay on top of this.  You're going to be an officer.  Officers are expected to look after themselves (and others, but that comes later).

Good luck.

Thanks!  I assumed that it shouldn't be a problem; I contacted Trent today, and they said they couldn't give me any more information until the end of the month.  That said I think it should all work out.

On another note; I have a lease in Peterborough that started in May... Does anyone know if I still have to pay rations and quarters while on BMOQ?  I was pretty sure I had read last year that if you can provide proof of lease you were exempt from R&Q deductions, but I can't find it anywhere this year!  Getting out of my lease is not an option, and I won't be able to afford R&Q in addition to my lease.  I have tried to contact my recruiter but have not gotten through.

Thanks,
Tessa

tessa.vanz said:
Thanks!  I assumed that it shouldn't be a problem; I contacted Trent today, and they said they couldn't give me any more information until the end of the month.  That said I think it should all work out.

On another note; I have a lease in Peterborough that started in May... Does anyone know if I still have to pay rations and quarters while on BMOQ?  I was pretty sure I had read last year that if you can provide proof of lease you were exempt from R&Q deductions, but I can't find it anywhere this year!  Getting out of my lease is not an option, and I won't be able to afford R&Q in addition to my lease.  I have tried to contact my recruiter but have not gotten through.

Thanks,
Tessa

You will have to pay for Rations but they should "waive" the Quarters charges.  As an ROTP candidate attending Civi-U with prior University, it shouldn't be an issue.

DAA said:
You will have to pay for Rations but they should "waive" the Quarters charges.  As an ROTP candidate attending Civi-U with prior University, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, I was hoping something along those lines would be possible.  I know the R&Q total amount for this year is $648.41 for single officers... do you know how much is rations and how much is quarters?

tessa.vanz said:
Thanks, I was hoping something along those lines would be possible.  I know the R&Q total amount for this year is $648.41 for single officers... do you know how much is rations and how much is quarters?

You will be required to pay Rations while attending BMOQ Phase 1 but probably not quarters.  Quarters charges are currently in the area of $97.00 per month.  Not sure what the current rations rates are.

DAA said:
You will be required to pay Rations while attending BMOQ Phase 1 but probably not quarters.  Quarters charges are currently in the area of $97.00 per month.  Not sure what the current rations rates are.

I'm trying to get it sorted right now; my recruiter says that because I'm not married I'm not entitled to not pay quarters.. 'I am choosing to maintain my residence while on course' ...  Frustrating as I have a lease therefore it is not exactly a choice; I am unable to end my lease because then I would have nowhere to live when BMOQ Phase 1 is over.

sigh.  Hopefully they'll see reason.  At least my rent is cheap for my area.

tessa.vanz said:
I'm trying to get it sorted right now; my recruiter says that because I'm not married I'm not entitled to not pay quarters.. 'I am choosing to maintain my residence while on course' ...  Frustrating as I have a lease therefore it is not exactly a choice; I am unable to end my lease because then I would have nowhere to live when BMOQ Phase 1 is over.

sigh.  Hopefully they'll see reason.  At least my rent is cheap for my area.

When it's time to cross that bridge, let me know.  I'm more than happy to sort some people out.

Not like it's Rocket Science here but they seem to make it out to be.      :salute:

For an ROTP student at a civilian university, does he need to do drill somewhere on regular basis, or is his military commitment limited only for the summer time when he has to do training?

Calvillo said:
For an ROTP student at a civilian university, does he need to do drill somewhere on regular basis, or is his military commitment limited only for the summer time when he has to do training?

Only the period when not in school (May-Aug mainly), although I have seen people get permission to work with a local Reserve unit during the school year.

Before continuing, pardon my lack of knowledge about Canadian Forces compared to the U.S. Military.

I imagine that ROTP in civilian universities is comparable to ROTC and RMCC is comparable to the service academies. In the ROTC, cadets or midshipmen are attached to their ROTC units which are attached to their universities. Within their ROTC units cadets train / drill / learn about military matters on regular basis.

Now if ROTP students are required to train with the military only during the summer, how do they maintain their military knowledge and discipline? When they graduate and received their commissions,  will they not lack behind RMCC graduates who were exposed to military environment on daily basis?

Calvillo said:
Before continuing, pardon my lack of knowledge about Canadian Forces compared to the U.S. Military.

I imagine that ROTP in civilian universities is comparable to ROTC and RMCC is comparable to the service academies. In the ROTC, cadets or midshipmen are attached to their ROTC units which are attached to their universities. Within their ROTC units cadets train / drill / learn about military matters on regular basis.

Now if ROTP students are required to train with the military only during the summer, how do they maintain their military knowledge and discipline? When they graduate and received their commissions,  will they not lack behind RMCC graduates who were exposed to military environment on daily basis?

If 8 months without drilling or training caused people to fall behind, then the entire Air Force would be nothing but invalids by this point!  ;D

From my experience, non-RMC grads are a little slower to pick up the military pace that their RMC brethren, but this is very short lived. RMC cadets are used to having military duties piled on top of academic duties piled on top of mandatory sports piled on to of whatever personal interests they want to take part in (social life, dating, partying, whatever).

ROTP students at civilian university don't necessarily have the same level of "burden". They can get away with not shaving, not cutting their hair, skipping class because they are hungover, NEVER doing PT, etc. So when they show up on summer training, either during their academic studies or after graduation, they seem a little overwhelemed at first.

However, this quickly fades (a couple of weeks), and before you know it, everyone is running at the same pace.

Doing a full summer of drill and training every year during your academic studies is more than enough to keep you ready and prepared for your career once commissioned.

Proof? We've been doing it this way for years, and we have a healthy mix of superb (and not) officers from both civi-U and RMC.

Cheers

Calvillo said:

Strictly speaking, ROTP (Canada) and ROTC (USA) are in no way similar, other than participants are both attending university.

In Canada, if selected for education subsidization under ROTP, an individual will be enrolled into the Canadian Forces as a full-time member of the regular force.  Besides payment of tuition and other costs associated with their education (whether at a service college or a civilian institution), the Officer Cadet will receive a full-time salary and all other benefits available to members of the CF.  Their time at university is pensionable service.  Whether attending RMCC or a civilian university, OCdts will attend BMOQ (or a variant thereof) during their first year or so of service (outside of school semesters).  Depending on their occupation, some (most?) OCdts will complete portions of their occupation specific training (or other required training) between school years.  Lumber provided a good analysis about the difference between those who wore an organ grinder's monkey hat while attending school and those who wore jeans to class.

In the USA, an individual enrolled in the ROTC does not necessarily have their tuition and other costs paid for, nor is he technically "in the Army".
http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/high-school-students/faq.html#enrolling
Is enrolling in Army ROTC the same as joining the Army? Once a student starts taking ROTC courses, is he/she obligated to join the Army?

Enrolling in Army ROTC is not, strictly speaking, "joining the Army." You will not be sent to "boot camp." However, the primary purpose of the Army ROTC program is to produce its Officers, so young adults must agree to serve as Officers in the Army after graduation in order to go through the entire program, or if they have received an ROTC scholarship. Enrolling in the ROTC Basic Course (the first two years of college) does NOT obligate someone to serve unless they have also received a scholarship.
What "selected" participants (the majority?) do receive as a financial benefit is a "scholarship" that covers the cost of tuition and fees as well as some other items including a small monthly stipend for living expenses.  In exchange for receiving the scholarship, he agrees (by contract) to serve as an officer in the Army following graduation.  During the school year, there are compulsory courses in "military science" (Basic and Advanced) as well as a physical fitness requirement.  These would be the equivalent of officers' basic training. They may have opportunities for additional military training during the summer.

Hi All,

I am currently accepted to go to RMC for army EME. I leave for BMOQ this summer. Was wondering what the chances are and if its possible to switch from EME to Armored Officer. If I was to do so who would I contact and when? Also if I was to switch to Armored Officer would I still be able to get the same engineering degree or would I have to switch to a different degree?

Regards,

Sean

I am joining the CF through the ROTP with Paid University. My goal is to enter into the Intelligence field after getting my Bachelor's Degree in Public Affairs and Policy Management (International Relations). During basic training though, how does payment (getting paid) work, and am I paying for anything myself while I am there? I'd appreciate any feedback from all you fine men and women.

trvrhrdy said:
I am joining the CF through the ROTP with Paid University

Questions about ROTP via Civvie U
http://army.ca/forums/threads/45419.175.html
8 pages.

ROTP at Civilian University 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/97823.25
2 pages.

RMC or ROTP through a civilian university 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/122702.0

RMC and Civvy Universities 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/102216.0

ROTP in Civ University Question 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/118240.0

ROTP civ University 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/113473.0

ROTP and civi university 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/42930.0

Questions about ROTP, Regular Forces, and Civilian University 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/114296.0

ROTP - Question concerning Civ U
http://army.ca/forums/threads/101918.0

Civ Rotp and how it works 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/91385.0

etc...

Welcome to Army.ca, trvrhrdy.

As you can see from the links that mariomike so kindly provided, here and on your other thread, there is a ton of information on this Site already, ripe for your plucking. Please start reading through older threads - some of which are as long as they are because people keep asking the same questions over and over again - and try out the Search Function.

You will learn much more by doing that, and will likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you.

seanm said:
Was wondering what the chances are and if its possible to switch from EME to Armored Officer.

Those following Changing Your Job , see also,

Changing Your Job 
seanm said:
How difficult/ is it possible to switch from EME to Armored Officer and still do engineering at RMC.

In one forum shalt thou make thy post, and in one forum only.

And it's an "Occupation", not a "job".

Loachman said:
In one forum shalt thou make thy post, and in one forum only.

And it's an "Occupation", not a "job".

Just wondering is this because I posted a similar post in the recruiting section? If so its just because I didn't get a response from here for a few days and I thought a recruiter might know the answer.

Posting the same thing more than once is considered to be "spamming" here.

Responses are not always immediate. Sometimes only a small number of people may know the answer to a question, and they may not necessarily look in here every day, or see every thread. There are only a couple of Recruiters.

I did a simple search for "Occupation" and found the thread with which I have merged this one, and http://army.ca/forums/threads/85728/post-924847.html#msg924847. The latter is dated, but likely has not changed much, if at all. There may be more information available here as well.

Hey guys,

I am 17 years old and currently attending high school. I am trying to decide on the best post-secondary education plan and was hoping I could get some help here as I can't seem to find answers elsewhere. I have decided that I would like to pursue a M.D. and was recently introduced to the MOTP offered by the CAF. I think the MOTP is an excellent opportunity and would suit me well. However, before I can even consider the program or apply to medical school, I need an undergraduate degree. I was wondering if I could do the ROTP for a BSc degree at the RMC and do the MOTP as well. From what I have gathered, one would have to complete the mandatory service period for the ROTP first before being considered for the MOTP program. If this is the case, would it be possible to do the RETP at the RMC and pay the tuition myself? Or is it recommended to simply attend a civilian university for the undergraduate degree instead? Furthermore, will the RMC accept AP ELA and AP Calculus credits? I am really interested in what the RMC has to offer and I think it would be a well structured learning environment for me.

Any assistance on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jaedin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back