• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at RMC only : 2019 - 2020

sislam

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a Grade 12 student who has been in private boarding school in Ontario all is High School career, has 115+ service hours and love my country that I am born and raised in! GO CANADA! I would gladly fight and die defending this country, our freedom, and values, as a proud minority 2nd Generation Canadian. Words can't express how grateful I am to this country and it's people for giving my parents great opportunities decades ago as migrants looking for a better life. I want to repay that to this country and prove me loyalty.

I have lots of co-circulars, (MUN, Chess club, Provincial Debates, volunteering, fitness training, etc.)
I LOVE Community Service and helping fellow citizens of my country, from churches, to youth centres, to computer repair, tutoring, tree plants, litter cleanups, cadets, and even launching a recycling system in my boarding school I really want to make my nation and society a better place with the little contributions I can give.
I have lived in and visited many different nations and have close friends all over the globe (China, UK, Austria, Dubai, India, Germany, Malaysia, Australia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, etc.), it really gave me an insight to how the world and culture varies a lot from Canada. I take it as a blessing as I am only 17 and been to many places and made so many friends.
My grades are ok, mostly best at Math and Sciences in general, but they're not top notch :(

Being in accredited private boarding school since I was 14, I am accustomed to a lot of discipline (Living independently, travelling by yourself, being on time, routine, structure, uniform, expectations in residence, etc.).
I also serve as an Army Cadet in my local regiment, with many military references from boarding school and the Corps.
I have lots of recreational experience with sports (camping, skiing, canoeing, etc.) but am fit physically and muscle wise (healthy, lots of working out, protein, exercise, etc.)

I truly want to serve this country so I applied for the Canadian Armed Forces (currently Gr. 12 and 17) and was selected for further processing in early October.
I wrote my Aptitude Test 2 weeks back, and was found competent enough to be an Officer. I wanted to enroll into the ROTP program, and RMC sent me some / Survey) forms for additional processing (Transcripts and some Questionnaire). I have submitted that last week.

That being said, I feel really stressed out and have some questions that I don't want to continually bombard and bother my Armed Forces Recruitment Detachment with.

(1) What are the likelihoods of me being accepted into the ROTP program to continue onto RMC based on my short description in experience (and applying rather earlier)? I heard it is very, very competitive, and hard to get in, so I am not holding my breath.
(2) If there are no Officer positions available, based on my aptitude test, would I be able to serve as an NCM?
(3) If I get into a civilian university (full-time with or without ROTP assistance) would I be able to serve as a Reservist of my local regiment/corp?

Another question I really can't find any answers to AT ALL!!

(4) I have been to 24 different nations, and I had to complete the Security and Reliability forms, but I have only lived in 3 or 4 of them continually. Do they have to verify my police/criminal record in EVERY SINGLE NATION that I have been to? My MCpl. from the Recruiting Detachment in Ontario (Kingston) told me that they would process me (RMC) while the Security process was going through, but the Security process would take the longest.

I have yet to do the interview and Medical, but I look forward for those going well. RMC is still processing my application when I called last week to confirm.

I am sorry for the long post, but I am so stressed out thinking about this non-stop for the last 3 months, I really want to serve my country, it was always a dream since I was 12.
As I speak I am stressed out from the doubt, uncertainty and just this fear of my future outlook, as I always wanted to serve as a child. I just want a 'yes' or 'no' answer kind of thing. Sometimes I can't sleep because I fear of not getting accepted or being able to serve Canada; is it really that hard to become a member of the CAF? Do you think I have any chance? I keep on hearing it is so competitive and simply difficult to get in.
Lastly,
I love Canada despite being a minority Canadian, and on the Employment Equity section of both the Canadian Armed Forces and Royal Military College applications, I checked that I am a Visible Minority. Can someone explain to me what the point of that is? Is there any quotas regarding a certain group of people?

Thank you and kind Regards,
I am just infinitely stressed out and in doubt, would appreciate any info!

I was thinking of making a thread for anyone who is in high school or university that has applied, or is in the process of applying for ROTP 2019/2020.
Anyways I had my interview a couple days ago, it went really well. The Captain said my file is pretty competitive. I am applying for EME Officer and Engineer Officer.

Why I believe my file is competitive:

Grade 12 marks: High 80's average( Captain believed I was suitable for engineering due to my  High 90's Pre-Calculus/Calculus marks)

Army Cadets: I was in Army Cadets for several years, and this really helped with some interview questions.

Sports: I played football in highschool. Also helped with some interview questions.

Overall, the Captain said that she would recommend me to wherever they further process these applications.

Anyways I'm currently in my first year of engineering at University of Calgary. I hope I get a ROTP-CiviU offer next year, that will let me continue my studies here. If not, oh well I wouldn't mind going to RMC. The Captain wrote down what I prefered, although she did say that recently CAF has been giving out less Civi-U offers.

What part of the process are you guys in?
How did your interview go?
Would you prefer RMC or Civi-U?
What has helped your file be competitive?
Are you applying from High School or University?
What trade/occupation are you applying for?

Hi Buck,

Do you know when the information for intake numbers will be available for the next fiscal year?

Thanks

Hey Mate

You seem very concerned over these intake numbers, if I may offer some advice.. just run with it and dont worry about the specifics.

Do your best to be the best candidate and just keep knocking at the door until you get in.

Abdullah

P.s i am not in the armed forces.

There is only one slot left this fiscal year for my trade and I'm excited to see how many open up next year.

Thanks for the input though.

Good day,

I'm interested in applying to the ROTP program and attending RMC for electrical engineering. To begin with let me give you my backstory and then I'll state my questions to which I haven't been able to find concrete answers online.

I'm 22 years old and just graduated from Electrical Engineering Technology at Fanshawe College this past July (2.5 year diploma) achieving an 87 average. This program is essentially a condensed version of a BA in electrical engineering but encompasses all the same discplines (circuit design, electronics, telecommunications, automation/controls, calculus, etc). I'm a pretty fit individual and have played sports all my life, football in highschool and competitive rowing in college. I have no doubt that I could score very high on the CAF fitness assessment as fitness has always been my strong suit.

I have a good amount of volunteering/community involvement, and also a good amount of leadership experience mostly springing from the part time job I held throughout highschool/college and the sports teams I was apart of during those years. I believe that I could also score high enough on the aptitute test to qualify for an officer career.

However I know that my higschool marks are not nearly as good as my college marks and would likely not be high enough to get into RMC. So my question is: Which set of marks would they be looking at if I applied? The highschool ones or the college ones, or perhaps a mix of both? I was also wondering what my chances are having already gone to college and being a couple of years older compared to someone who is applying straight out of highschool.

Thanks,
Fred

They will look at all of your marks, but the fact that your college marks are better than your high school marks is definitely in you favour.  On the surface, you sound like a good candidate and you should be competitive.  However, you'll never know if you don't apply.  Go for it and see what happens.

There are some other things to consider.  My information may be out of date (it's been awhile since I was an ROTP student), but if you already have a technologist's diploma (not technician), you may already qualify for commissioning under the Direct Entry Officer (DEO) program.  Another option may exist if your diploma can be converted to a degree (some colleges offer that), in which case you may be able to get subsidized for the remaining schooling you need to do that.  This is certainly worth discussing with a recruiter.

Right now we're still working with "tentative" numbers and even as I'm writing this my Intake for Nurse ROTP is changing so I'm not inclined to post numbers yet.
I will likely make a post mid-January as the numbers will be more "firm" by then...

Buck,

After viewing the intake numbers for FY 2019/20 that you posted, I'd just like some confirmation. I'm currently applying for ROTP for the next academic year and in the 3rd year of my program. Is it correct that I cannot expect an opportunity to finish up my 4th and final year of undergrad at my current university? I realize that there was a chance I would have only been offered a spot at RMC, but I was hoping there was a chance I'd be able to continue at my school.

Thanks.

SFHL said:
Buck,

After viewing the intake numbers for FY 2019/20 that you posted, I'd just like some confirmation. I'm currently applying for ROTP for the next academic year and in the 3rd year of my program. Is it correct that I cannot expect an opportunity to finish up my 4th and final year of undergrad at my current university? I realize that there was a chance I would have only been offered a spot at RMC, but I was hoping there was a chance I'd be able to continue at my school.

Thanks.

Recruiters have been informed by the Chain of Command that the only ROTP paid education for Academic Year 2019/2020 will be for RMC only.
Whether or not you can transfer to RMC for 4th year would be determined by RMC, but if you are not willing to attend RMC and only want to finish your 4th year at a Civilian University you will not be considered for the 2019 ROTP Campaign.

Best Regards,
Buck

For the 2019/2020 numbers, today is my first day back to work after the holidays; as such I will not have time until later this week to post numbers - but they are coming.

Thanks for the clarification. Career counsellor confirmed my application will need to be terminated because I'm too far along to transfer to RMC (last year of my program next academic year), and can't do Civ U. Very disappointing considering I just finished every part of my application, but I guess i'll be reapplying as DEO.

Do you know why Pilot Rotp intake number has decreased so much? Im a Junior applicant it worries me a alot... Thanks!

Hello everyone!

I thought I may as well keep the thread going, so here we go.

I first applied last year for ROTP Pilot, but switched my choice to AEC following ACS in Trenton, as well as added INT. Everything was going well until a little hiccup on my medical that delayed my application a few months, however everything has been cleared now. My file was moved to this intake year and, after an updated interview and medical, I was put on the competition list as of December 2018.

As for why my file is competitive, I believe my grades and leadership experience will help me. The recruiting centre told me that my grades were competitive, and they also said if I can maintain those grades in university, then it will show them that I can handle university life as well. I am currently a first year at Carleton University and doing pretty well.

That pretty much sums it up, if anyone has any questions about the process, feel free to message me!

Good luck to all and I hope to see you at RMC 😉

Cool! I've been competition listed as of Dec 18, 2018 8)

If you guys didn't know yet... apparently ROTP-CIVU has been cancelled for FY 19/20 (Except for Component Transfer) :(

Would anyone know when the selections board is scheduled to meet in the upcoming months?

ih8pa1n said:

If you guys didn't know yet... apparently ROTP-CIVU has been cancelled for FY 19/20 (Except for Component Transfer) :(

Would anyone know when the selections board is scheduled to meet in the upcoming months?

How did you find out you've been competition listed ?
Should I contact my CFRC ?

milkytea said:
How did you find out you've been competition listed ?
Should I contact my CFRC ?

Yes contact them :nod:, I contacted my CFRC last month to check on my application status. I tried calling them, but no one ever answers the phone. So I sent my file manager an email.

ih8pa1n said:

I could be wrong, so don't quote me, but I believe I read selections boards will meet in March, April, and May for the bulk of selections... Only a few months of anticipation left !!!

Wait is killing me!

Here's a Facebook group for RMC Class of 2023 if anyone wants to join.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2182940818411244/

Hello,

Does anybody know when selections for ROTP @ RMC will be occurring?

Thanks.

milkytea said:
Hello,

Does anybody know when selections for ROTP @ RMC will be occurring?

Thanks.

This was mentioned in a Facebook group I am in on Feb 21.

"They have apparently sent out around 30 offers so far and the main selection board is sitting in mid April. I was told they are a bit late in getting out offers this year."

Back