• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Run Up to Election 2019

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Gee, does anyone not think for a second that China would be spending some serious cash to groups to promote re-electing Mr. Trudeau again??    You'd have to be a fool to think otherwise, they know he "admires" them and that he'll crumble if pushed.
Would that be a crime by Mr. Trudeau??  Not for a second.....

Given our election finance laws with strict limits on donations, spending etc, I would be interested to see just how, exactly, that would manifest itself.

#wearenotamericathankfuck

Those laws are easy to circumvent. ...it's not like they'd be handing money to any party. .....but the Courageous Coalition of Canadians in support of........

PPCLI Guy said:
Given our election finance laws with strict limits on donations, spending etc, I would be interested to see just how, exactly, that would manifest itself.

#wearenotamericathankfuck

By registering as Third Party Advertisers who can spend up to $211,200 dollars each. The terms and conditions can be found on the Elections Canada website here:

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&document=info&dir=thi&lang=e

The trick is setting up multiple fronts-end eligible Third Parties that can conduct campaigns in targeted areas.

Think of the types of campaigns that nursing and teacher unions run that while not directly supporting a party are designed to undercut leading candidates of parties that do not support their interest.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
By registering as Third Party Advertisers who can spend up to $211,200 dollars each. The terms and conditions can be found on the Elections Canada website here:

The trick is setting up multiple fronts-end eligible Third Parties that can conduct campaigns in targeted areas.

Think of the types of campaigns that nursing and teacher unions run that while not directly supporting a party are designed to undercut leading candidates of parties that do not support their interest.

does that not expire once the writ is dropped?

PPCLI Guy said:
Doesn't look like it according to the info-page ...
... A third party is a person or group that conducts election advertising, other than a candidate, registered party or electoral district association ... Election advertising is the transmission to the public during an election period of an advertising message that promotes or opposes a party or a candidate, or that takes a position on an issue associated with a party or candidate ...

PPCLI Guy said:

No. The provision is specifically for the election campaign and the limits are set for a 37 day campaign and were set for the 2017-2018 period (I don't have the CPI adjusted figures for 2019). If a campaign is longer than 37 days the limit goes up by 1/37th for each additional day.

That was one of the crimes that SNC Lavelin committed if memory serves.  They got caught but that won't prevent others from finding novel ways to finance their preferences, such as rubber chicken dinners BBQs etc.

FJAG said:

Not sure that is right.  I think the limit applies to the party in tootal (211K), not third party....

But you don't have to 'support ' a party in your advertising.... support certain issues that a party just happens to support.

"We're not saying who to vote for but we suggest you just vote for pro-life candidates. "

What?  Us??  Supporting a party?  Noooooooo. ....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
But you don't have to 'support ' a party in your advertising.... support certain issues that a party just happens to support.

Examples from last election?

PPCLI Guy said:
Not sure that is right.  I think the limit applies to the party in tootal (211K), not third party....

Not the way I read it.

A third party is a person or group that conducts election advertising, other than a candidate, registered party or electoral district association.
... the following can register:
- individuals who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents or reside in Canada
- corporations that carry on business in Canada
- other groups, including groups abroad, if the person responsible for the group is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or resides in Canada
Election advertising is the transmission to the public during an election period of an advertising message that promotes or opposes a party or a candidate, or that takes a position on an issue associated with a party or candidate.
The current limit for a 37-day election period is $211,200, of which no more than $4,224 can be spent in a particular electoral district. These limits are in effect from April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018. If the election period is longer than 37 days, the limits increase by 1/37th for every day over 37.
Third parties are allowed to fund their election advertising from three sources:
- contributions given for election advertising purposes from individuals who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents, and businesses or other organizations that operate in Canada
- the third party's own funds, which means that groups receiving funding or revenues from abroad for general purposes can use those funds for election advertising
- loans obtained for election advertising purposes
There are no limits on contributions or loans given to third parties.

The major issues that I see for a foreign entity getting it's message out is that: a) needs to be an eligible front-man to be the 'Third Party' and b) a permissible funding stream needs to be developed. I would think that there are sufficient Chinese businessmen, corporations etc that could be enrolled in such a project and permissible funding streams engaged.

For me the question is: Do the Chinese really care enough one way or the other to even bother? Both the Libs and Conservatives have pro trade agendas. The only issue right now is the Huawei one and while Scheer has said they would ban them, it's starting to look like the Libs will probably (and rightfully) go that way as well.

:dunno:.

PPCLI Guy said:
Examples from last election?

This is the official list of registered Third Party Advertisers for the 2015 General Election:

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&document=42ge&dir=thi/tie&lang=e

Lot of unions, the Wheat Board ...

And this page links to each Third Party's report summarizing their expenses. Some are small. Some are large.

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=fin&document=index&dir=oth/thi/advert/tp42&lang=e

I find Friends of Canadian Broadcasters interesting. Lots of contributors and cash raised and spent.

Note also Strong and Free who spent all their money on Facebook campaigns.

[quote author=FJAG]

I find Friends of Canadian Broadcasters interesting. Lots of contributors and cash raised and spent.
[/quote]

Definitely

Note also Strong and Free who spent all their money on Facebook campaigns.

It looks like most of Canadian Veterans ABC Campaign 2015
$78'000 was spent  on Facebook advertisements too.

I hadn't realized before this that Facebook influencer campaigns were now a thing in Canada, too.

Should be interesting to watch what comes out of the registered Third Party advertisers and non-registered foreign trolls during this campaign.

PPCLI Guy said:
Two topics on the same screen - but nit, I believe, connected.
Granted, I was reading it a bit like I would legislation or a regulation, so I stand to be corrected.

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2019/06/05/thanks-to-justin-trudeaus-virtue-signalling-foolishness-canada-could-face-a-genocide-investigation-run-by-foreign-countries/

Thanks To Justin Trudeau’s Virtue-Signalling Foolishness, Canada Could Face A ‘Genocide’ Investigation Run By Foreign Countries

Justin Trudeau’s decision to use the term ‘genocide’ following the release of the MMIWG report has now lead to something that would have seemed absurd to write:

The Organization of American States is asking Canada to hold an investigation into “allegations of genocide.”

On Twitter, the head of the OAS – Luis Almagro – said “it is necessary to clarify these allegations and achieve justice.”

“Given evidence of genocide perpetrated against indigenous women and girls in Canada I have offered the creation of an Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI Canada). It is necessary to clarify these allegations and achieve justice”.

As Warren Kinsella noted, Justin Trudeau will now face allegations of ‘genocide’ and have to deal with that during the election:

“I predicted this would happen within the week. I was wrong. It actually happened a lot faster. Trudeau will now be investigated by an international body, during an election, for genocide he’s admitted to: that’s a first. Well done, JT.”

<snip>

The full letter from Luis Almagro can be viewed via the link.

It was a really brilliant thing to do.  Now we're on the very short list of countries which have admitted to genocide, and stand alone on a list of countries admitting to genocide which are currently committing it*, and it will be thrown back in Canada's face every time Canada comments on some other nation's behaviour ("You have nothing to say to us; by your own admission, you are committing genocide").

*Unless all the recommendations necessary to void the assessment were completed yesterday.

Brad Sallows said:
It was a really brilliant thing to do.  Now we're on the very short list of countries which have admitted to genocide, and stand alone on a list of countries admitting to genocide which are currently committing it*, and it will be thrown back in Canada's face every time Canada comments on some other nation's behaviour ("You have nothing to say to us; by your own admission, you are committing genocide").

*Unless all the recommendations necessary to void the assessment were completed yesterday.

Even better, JT, as the PM of a self admitted state conducting "genocide" may now find himself arrested for crimes against humanity next time he travels internationally and stand trial in the Hague.

Well done....

Back