• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Run Up to Election 2019

I know the people who won’t win will be the people of Canada, but they will be significantly hurt with a minority Liberal government propped up by the NDP.

Brihard said:
However this one goes, I think the real winner is ultimately going to be Peter MacKay.

Did I miss something?  Is he returning to politics?

Dimsum said:
Did I miss something?  Is he returning to politics?

Not yet.  But he is likely waiting in the wings for Scheer to fail.   

I suspect a few other alumni are waiting as well to see what happens.

Cloud Cover said:
I know the people who won’t win will be the people of Canada, but they will be significantly hurt with a minority Liberal government propped up by the NDP.

If that happens, the CPC did it to themselves, beginning with the election of Scheer as leader... with everything they’ve had to work with they should have been quite handily coming into this election from a position of strength. Instead they’re scraping far more than they should be.

Brihard said:
If that happens, the CPC did it to themselves, beginning with the election of Scheer as leader... with everything they’ve had to work with they should have been quite handily coming into this election from a position of strength. Instead they’re scraping far more than they should be.

Part of the problem in current Canadian politics is how party leaders are currently selected- by party membership votes. Buy enough party memberships and single issue voters get to badly sway leadership races.

If parties went back to the caucus selecting the leader, then the leader is immediately answerable to sitting MPs.

But I can see exactly why the current crop of party leaders don't much like that idea....

Brihard said:

I don't think the CPC have really done anything to hurt themselves.  They are relatively scandal free.  Their leader is a bit of a unknown, but that's not a bad thing.  Wait for platforms to be released.

What is hurting the CPCs is IMHO:

1)  Anything Conservative is a dirty word right now.  The media; and left sided politics is successfully painting the picture of a conservative as a racist, unsympathetic, angry white male; and

2)  Doug Ford's bungling of Ontario politics is being successfully tied to the Federal party by the media and left sided politics.  I will note I was repeatedly told we cant do that when Wynn was in power.  But politics is politics. 

I think Scheer was the best candidate possible at this time.  But I think Rona Ambrose and Peter MacKay should have played their card differently and stuck around for the leadership race.  I am personally a big fan of Rona Ambrose and I hope she comes back.

Personally I think the CPC are the closest Canada has to a centrist party right now.  And that is why I became a member and will vote for them.

Thank god we didn't end up Bernier!

In news that should have been news but has been buried by manhunts and Mueller...

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/07/24/liberals-deny-preventing-ex-ambassador-from-commenting-on-china-policy/

The original Globe article is behind a pay wall.

This PMO really thinks everyone answers to them.  As a private citizen I'd tell them to take a hike.

Halifax Tar said:
Thank god we didn't end up Bernier!

Well he has made one campaign promise that might resonate with Trump supporters in Canada...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/bernier-promises-to-build-border-fences-if-elected-pm-1.4522382

Remius said:
Not yet.  But he is likely waiting in the wings for Scheer to fail.   

I suspect a few other alumni are waiting as well to see what happens.
Isn't he currently receiving pension now?

If so how would a return effect that?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Nuggs said:
Isn't he currently receiving pension now?

If so how would a return effect that?

Election to Continue or Come Under Act said:
Members of Parliament Retiring Allowances Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. M-5)

Application of Act to members not making election who become members again

2.4 (1) This Act recommences to apply to a member referred to in subsection 2.3(1) who ceases to be a member and subsequently becomes a member in the thirty-sixth or any subsequent Parliament.

Right but didn't they increase the time required to be pensionable? So he was pensionable under a shorter period previously than is required now.

Correction. He had 18 years previously so I guess it wouldn't matter.

In a minor blow to the Liberals (by virtue of a lost opportunity to vote-split a few % on the right), the Tantrum People’s Party of Canada will not be represented in the upcoming leaders’ debates.

More at link: Maxime Bernier excluded from initial invitations to leaders' election debates

At this point it’s going to be entertaining watching Bernier struggle to retain his seat. It’s not looking good for him.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-gay-marriage-lgbtq-goodale-1.5256095

Dirty move but effective.  No one is talking SNC and everyone is talking Scheer, but not in a good way.

Not a fan of negative campaigning but this was a very tactical move from the LPC and now the CPC is on damage control mode.

Remius said:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-gay-marriage-lgbtq-goodale-1.5256095

Dirty move but effective.  No one is talking SNC and everyone is talking Scheer, but not in a good way.

Not a fan of negative campaigning but this was a very tactical move from the LPC and now the CPC is on damage control mode.

I doubt this will sway much. Anyone who pays attention already knows Scheer’s long held personal views. Similarly, anyone paying attention already knows the CPC have accepted that this is an issue that they cannot touch, never mind walk back on. The fact that they have to dig back to 2005 on this speaks volumes.

While I do not trust the CPC on social issues generally, they at least have the wisdom to avoid self destruction by trying to reopen some of the long settled ones. It’s gonna take a lot to convince me something from 14 years ago is relevant; and I think Scheer is a bit of a wiener already anyway, so situation: no change.

It’s about time to start seeing some actual platforms from the parties in contention.

It's becoming more and more difficult to find social liberalism and fiscal conservatism.  :not-again:

Remius said:

Meh... 32 Liberals and 1 NDP voted against the Civil Marriage Act in 2005, including Ralph Goodale I might point out. If there's no statute of limitations on one's past views on issues, then the Liberals are being somewhat hypocritical, are they not?

Sorry, I forgot... only conservatives aren't allowed to grow.

Brihard said:
I doubt this will sway much. Anyone who pays attention already knows Scheer’s long held personal views. Similarly, anyone paying attention already knows the CPC have accepted that this is an issue that they cannot touch, never mind walk back on. The fact that they have to dig back to 2005 on this speaks volumes.

While I do not trust the CPC on social issues generally, they at least have the wisdom to avoid self destruction by trying to reopen some of the long settled ones. It’s gonna take a lot to convince me something from 14 years ago is relevant; and I think Scheer is a bit of a wiener already anyway, so situation: no change.

It’s about time to start seeing some actual platforms from the parties in contention.

It's not so much to sway but it may bring apathetic or disgruntled liberals to come out and vote who might have stayed home.  It changed the channel (not sure for how long), made the NDP commit to not propping up a conservative government, (I'm sure May will be asked the same question and she'll be stuck depending on her answer).  It might actually have worried NDPers vote Liberal to avoid a CPC government.  they dug back to 2005 yes, but it has everything to do with Scheer not being at a pride parade in 2019.  It has put the CPC on the defensive. 

I'm on the same page as you as far as the CPC not wanting to re-open that can of worms but this might make some people think otherwise.

Totally agree about actual platforms.

ModlrMike said:
Meh... 32 Liberals and 1 NDP voted against the Civil Marriage Act in 2005, including Ralph Goodale I might point out. If there's no statute of limitations on one's past views on issues, then the Liberals are being somewhat hypocritical, are they not?

Sorry, I forgot... only conservatives aren't allowed to grow.

I suspect they are expecting that response.  The key to grow is to actually grow.  Goodale voted for it in 2005 and has marched in pride parades since (not sure why this is a right of passage for politicians but whatever).  Did Scheer vote for it in 2005 and has he marched?  That is what they are trying to highlight.  They are saying essentially he isn't marching so he hasn't changed.   

It's a chink in the armour.   

Back