• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

Ermm... I know there's a technique that Instructors will want to see, but they're just push ups! It's pretty much the easiest thing to get your head around... sorry, I just find that a 4 paragraph explanation on how to do a proper push a bit laughable!  ;D

Back in my Cadet days ( about 16-17 years ago) when on course, you'd have to do 5-10 push ups or your max number of chin ups before entering classrooms/common areas/ company lines ect. ect.

At the beginning of the 6 week course, everyon was S**t except a few of the sporty types (regardless of course pre-requisits), but after a week, you'd be surprised how many reps we "kiddies" were pulling off repeatedly after just a week.  Myself, going in to my first 6 week course, I could manage 5 chin ups, 1-2 pull ups and couldn't even do one "behind-the-head" pull up. I left being able to pull 20 reps chin and pull ups, and about 15 of the "behind-the-head" variety. Mind you, I probably only weighed 155 lbs back then but the results speak for themselves.

As for push ups, by the time I became Staff, I could (seriously) pull off 90-100 push-ups with out recovering. I wasn't a jock, and was not into sports. I trained with my Corps and on my own the way my instructors had taught me (push ups going into a classroom/ and then again leaving.... walking by the chin-up bar? Might as well do a few while you're there... that type of thing) Before you know it, you'll be pulling off a lot more than you ever thought. The trick is to get your body in the habit of exerting itself.

As for technique... well, read the 4 paragraphs... then start pumpin' off reps, wrong or right, if you can pump off 30 reps it won't matter a whole lot what technique you're using. You'll be corrected at the test if you're technique is off... then you'll do them the way they want you to. It won't make that big of a difference. my old  :2c: :salute:

JB,

It is certainly laughable that so much goes into the basic push with the military, but after test hundreds and hundreds of people, I've found that it is the one most people have trouble with.  The protocol is so specific because the studies used to validate the test were very specific.  Even slight changes to hand position (3-5cm inside or outside shoulder) had an effect on the results.

I've tested mbrs that fialed the EXPRES technique and then following the test pushed out more then the minimum using the form they are used to.  Unfortunately, PSP is mandated to test using EXPRES protocol.

Unfortunately for some this is the system in place and must be used.  It is my hope that CF mbrs make themselves well aware of the requirements to ensure they are reaady to pass the test.

I guess the only sure fire solution is to be able to bang out 30 reps in a plethora of different positions  :nod:

All joking aside though, I have read the protocol and was a little surprised at the difference from other positions, but personally, it was manageable. Everyones different in the end, but I guess my main point is to train harder than you will be required to work or as the cliché goes: "the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in Combat"; in this instance, substitute "Combat" for your PT test ;D

Just to expand a bit on the benefit of a high school cross-country team, I had a 5km race today, ran it in 19 minutes exactly, all thanks to my XC team.

So, for all the people in high school here working on running, join your cross country team!  :nod:

I've looked over this thread and searched and have found some information on cold weather running, but nothing quite like what I'm looking for.

I've found that when I run in "cold" weather, basically anything less than 5 degrees, I have a significantly harder time being able to breathe. Not only does it make the running harder, but it also affects me afterwards.

The last two times I went running in cold-ish weather, it was hovering right around 0 and I went out at about 1900, I found that I spent the rest of the night hacking up a lung. Lots of mucous and general chest pain - is this something that I just need to work up to and condition myself for? If so, does anyone have any tips on how to do so?

I'd love to be able to continue running outdoors in the winter as I can't stand treadmills and my gym doesn't have a track, but if it knocks me out for the rest of the night everytime I do it, I won't be able to.

Any advice?

I have been having the same problem with my lungs when I run.  I find that immediately after running in the cold (like right now in Saskatchewan) that I have a burning and hacking up mucous to.  My problem deepens a little because I'm asthmatic.  Not a big deal normally but throw in the cold weather running and I end up really hacking.  I'll be starting BMQ in January, if all goes well with my interview next month, and I could really use some advice on how to deal with this because winter in Saskatchewan is exceptionally brutal and dry, as most of you probably know already.

Advice? :cold:

I am no expert, but I would guess that because of your mild asthma your lungs are more sensitive to the could.... and my wife is from sask. (swift Current to be exact) so I know of what you speak when talking about the cold there :nod:

That said, have you tried running with a balaclava? I know with asthma, you want as much air going in as possible, but a thin one might be enough to warm the air up just enough for your lungs and not be too much of a hinderance to the asthma. Anyone feel free to correct me here... just my opinion.

Now... whether you'd be allowed to wear said balaclava or somthing similar on your BMQ? That's another story.

Another thing that has occured to me is that your lungs might simply not be used to the exersion. When I started running seriously, especially in the cold, I'd hack up lougies for a while after the run.... even more so if it was a killer. And they would hurt.
But then I started to bike more than run. And hard, I would Lance Armstrong that S*&$! Got my lungs in real good shape and when I started to run again, my lungs wouldnt feel like they were bleeding anymore and they now outlast my poor old legs ;D
My :2c:

That's awesome JB 11 11, I appreciate it.  I definitely am out of shape right now.  I haven't done much over the last few years for excercise because I was a student and a parent and a husband, but now I am just a career man/parent/husband so I have all the time in the world.  ;)

Once I get myself into better shape I'm sure I'll be ok.  That being said, I don't think asthma has anything to do with it for me, now that I think about it, because I haven't really had a problem since I was in elementary school.

But thanks for the reply, you have inspired me.

Thanks for the post i noticed i had a similar problem like alexk and now nothing too! thanks!  ;D

No matter how you become one 'laughing stock', start walking for 10-15 minutes to warm up then run very very slowly, then run at a slighter faster pace, then run at a pace where you do not pant, then finish it first in 15 minutes, then rest for 1 day. Then run your second day in 20 minutes. This goes on every other day for 12 weeks. On your 13 th week increase the time to 30-35 minutes. One week before your physical test run for 45 minutes any distance it will take you as long as you are comfortable. Cool down by walking another 10 minutes. This warm-ups and cooldowns will assure you of a healthy heart. Do not forget to stretch. Get any running book at the library where you can find proper ways of stretching. YOu can also do speed runs 1 week before your physical test. The reason why you have to rest every one or  two or three days is to let your muscles recover. This is the kind of pace I am preparing right now before I run a 5K on May 15, 2011 at the Toronto Marathon.......

I found myself getting craps a few times, and my coach said i wasn't getting enough air. So i just starting trying to take slower deeper breaths when i ran, and it help me. So i recommend trying this.

carmen13 said:
I found myself getting craps a few times, and my coach said i wasn't getting enough air. So i just starting trying to take slower deeper breaths when i ran, and it help me. So i recommend trying this.

So did getting the craps put a cramp in your running?

Does anybody know how hard the hand grip test?
I work out regularly and i do about 45-50lbs bicep curls when i do my arms (alternate curls) however i don't work my forearms. ( hate having bigger forearms)
Officer who did my interview yesterday told me if you work out your forearms you shouldn't have a problem.
Should i start working out forearm too?
thanks

Donny said:
Does anybody know how hard the hand grip test?
I work out regularly and i do about 45-50lbs bicep curls when i do my arms (alternate curls) however i don't work my forearms. ( hate having bigger forearms)
Officer who did my interview yesterday told me if you work out your forearms you shouldn't have a problem.
Should i start working out forearm too?
thanks

If you're curling 50lbs in each arm I'm pretty sure the hand grip will be no problem for you.

Bert said:
I'm no expert, but training for endurance and speed together is better than than only one. 

A great way to work on both at the same time is running intervals. They don't even need to be done on the track like traditional ones, the trick is just varying your pace throughout the run. You can alternate jogging/sprinting on shorter runs (<10km) and running/walking on longer ones (>10km). There is really no right way to do intervals, but the fluctuations in physical exertion are really good for your cardio. Any time I decide to run intervals, I usually use the slower pace 80% of the time and the faster pace 20%. They can be personalized to fit into pretty much any fitness program. I'm certainly no expert, but I run competitively and play lots of rugby.  :2c:

EDIT: need to go back to school for spelling lessons.

I am new at this.Was not doing anything till the middle of June.Just have my medical and interview left. Started off with walking once a day.Can do 4km in under 45 minutes ,plus doing 10km on my exercise bike.Was walking twice a day,in the morning and in the evening.Now I've just started to walk/jog 2.4km (can do it in 22:12,need 14:56-16:54),then 20km on the exercise bike in the morning and then another 2.4 walk/jog in the evening.When I do this for 2 days my knees start to hurt.I stop the walk/jog for a day or two and the pain goes away.I have read all of the pages and now know that I should only walk/jog ever other day.Could I just walk on the "off" days ?Also could I do my biking on my walk/jog days or just on my "off"days?Plus I also am doing strength training on Mon,Wed & Fri.Have no problem with the situps,with the push ups,could not even do one before started doing the training;can do 5 knee ones now and working on doing them right (only need 7 for the Express test).

Since you just started exercising in June, sore knees are to be expected. At this point, I think doing the 2.4km twice a day is overdoing it. Crosstraining (like you are with your exercise bike) is a great way to take some of the strain off of your knees. I would recommend alternating running days and crosstraining days (swimming, skipping, or biking) If it's possible, take more time for a longer workout each day instead of multiple short workouts. Then you can space your workouts out more and give your body time to recover. Many short workouts won't do much to help develop cardio and won't give you a chance to recover. Since biking is a low-impact workout, biking on your running days should be fine, but give yourself a day between your runs. Biking or swimming between running days will develop your cardio while at the same time providing you with a workout program that is easier on the knees. Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Back