• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

Thanks for the reply. I will try it, plus I'm looking into buying a pair of running shoes  (was at the Running Room today) as I just got a pair of sneakers at the moment

Streching daily is very important: once in the morning, before and after exercises and once at night in the hot shower  before going to bed. This will make your muscles more fexible and will avoid alot of injuries "believe me". Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate before and prior to exercixes......hope this helps...

Fatalize said:
If you're curling 50lbs in each arm I'm pretty sure the hand grip will be no problem for you.

Not necessarily, once the hand is closed, it does develop grip strength to an extent, but mostly just endurance. In order to develop the "squeeze" strength, I would recommend trying out the grip exercise tools (those little things you squeeze) to see where you are standing in terms of grip strength, you need to do ~33.5kg per hand which totals at about ~70lbs per hand, they make these grip tools up to 200lbs, so practicing with them/doing a few reps here and there will help out your grip strength.

My 2c.

If you develop a "Stitch" in your side (cramp) try putting the arm on that side up above your head, reach up with your other hand and grab your elbow. You can do this gently while you run/jog and it will help stretch your side and help release the stitch.

If you know you are about to run a great distance and you need to eat something I suggest banana's, raisins and baby food. Raisins have a ton of energy but aren't heavy in your stomach. Baby Food is easy to digest, packed with good energy and also not heavy in the stomach so you can eat it before running if you need a pick me up.

Water is best but when drinking sports drinks try splitting one bottle into two halves and do 1 part sports drink and 1 part water. Drink one before and one after your run.

Hey, guys and gals. Quick question, any one else have any negative experiences with Jump squats? Kind of like a burpee without the pushup. Past two times we've done PT, I've thrown up as a result of the burpees. Sit ups, Push Ups, Squats. None of it else seems to have an effect, as soon as I get to about the 5th or 6th cycle the jump squats just seem to cause me to throw up. Anyone have any advice as to how to counter it? I know it's a minor Vasovagal response, not sure how to counter it in this situation though. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks people.

I remember coming across a PDF file somewhere. It was either on the Canadian Boarder Services website or RCMP. It had a step by step process on reaching the minimum PT standards,(included the time periods neccecary for reaching them) it went into detail. Like 2.4km in 10-12min, 19 push ups etc. Can't seem to find it anywhere. I'll keep an eye out.

Recently quit smoking about two weeks ago. I smoked for about 10 years, now I'm trying to figure out if this is smoking related or not so here's the run down. I'm running 1k, 5k and 20k with no shortness of breath but rather intense muscle cramps in the calves, feet and shins. I spoke with someone and they came to a conclusion that my muscles aren't getting the oxygen they need and that it is probably related to smoking. Is this something I should just keep working through? Or should I wait till I've quit for a longer period before I put this stress on myself anymore?

Scorp2586 said:
Recently quit smoking about two weeks ago. I smoked for about 10 years, now I'm trying to figure out if this is smoking related or not so here's the run down. I'm running 1k, 5k and 20k with no shortness of breath but rather intense muscle cramps in the calves, feet and shins. I spoke with someone and they came to a conclusion that my muscles aren't getting the oxygen they need and that it is probably related to smoking. Is this something I should just keep working through? Or should I wait till I've quit for a longer period before I put this stress on myself anymore?

It could also be a lack of water or badly-fitting shoes.  If you just started running (or just started running after a long break), even that may be the cause.

anyone know, is there a technique to keeping your heart rate down?  does it just come with training and improving endurance?
thanks

STJ_Kierstead said:
anyone know, is there a technique to keeping your heart rate down?  does it just come with training and improving endurance?
thanks

If you are able to attain your second wind during intensive training.

Like while jogging long distance and your breathing rate changes, so will the heart rate slow down.

STJ_Kierstead said:
thanks

Use your mind to control your breathing and heart rate.  There are meditation techniques that you can learn.

Scorp2586 said:

Cramps may come from :

1- not enough oxygen
2- not enough minerals (ions h+ that come from minerals)
3- dehydration
4- stress (too much training, or training too fast when you are low on exercises for quite long time)

Be sure to drink often small amount of water, when you feel thirsty you already lost 4% of water. It may seem small, but you loose consciousness with 10%.
You could drink some electrolyte beverage, such as gatorade. There is salt and minerals in it that helps your muscles do the contraction-relaxation cycles. A cramp occurs when you muscle is low on minerals and water and can't finish the cycle, so it's stuck in contraction.
Also, give you legs time to recuperate. When you start training, you should wait at least 48h between training, and even if you are in very good shape, your legs and heart need 24h to recuperate from an intense training. Training causes muscle fibers to break, the more you break without giving time to repair, the less effective the contraction cycle is.

I hope it helps

Bumped this rather than starting a new thread.

For the runners out there, are there any recommendations for 12-week marathon training programs and tips?  I have done a couple of Half-Marathons but haven't had to deal with nutrition during the run, etc.  Have you marathoners just brought gels (if so, how many) and water (again, how much) for training and during the race?

Thanks!

Dimsum,

So many things to talk about here:

1- Why have you chosen 12 weeks?
2- What are your best/most recent 400m, 1mile, 5km, 10km, 21km race times?
3- Ensure you continue doing strength work / muscular endurance work that focuses on single leg and single arm pieces (i.e. dumbbells rather than barbells) and lots of core work (static holds, back extensions at tempo, i.e. 4010 x 15-20 reps are key for endurance athletes).
4- Don't go out and crush yourself every day.  The body takes 72 hours to recover from full on aerobic testing.  Incorporate a lot volume building through Z1 work.  You don't need to just run....go swim and bike.  You're still working the energy system, but this way you avoid the overuse injuries (so common in the military)
5- Blend in skill work, where you work on running form and practice various breathing techniques
6- Incorporate mental toughness pieces (visualization, power words/mantras)
7- Fu$# the gels! Experiment in training with whole foods - gluten free cookies, dates, chocolate covered coffee beans.  Don't do anything on competition day that you didn't do in training.
8- Play around with carb intake during training...perhaps start with 30g of carbs per hour, and play with it over the weeks.
9- DO NOT go low carb throughout the day, especially post workout.  You can be a fat burning machine, doesn't matter, body needs carbohydrates.
10- I also swear by electrolyte fizz tabs.  I've had cramping that has disappeared within 10 seconds of taking one, every time.  I would not compete in an endurance event without a few of them by my side.  But all up to the individual.

Hope that helps.... I placed 3rd in the Petawawa Ironman after only 4 months of endurance training.  I never ran more than 16km at one time before I started so I do speak from personal experience as well as coaching experience.  Smart training is key, do it wrong and you'll smash your adrenals into the ground even further (military personnel have some of the most poorly functioning endocrine systems in the world....add poorly programmed endurance training on top of that = s#&t sandwich)

Can't speak for anyone else, but those gels give me abdominal cramps for some reason.  I think its the sugar maybe.  I normally don't eat much sugar.

pancakes said:
Can't speak for anyone else, but those gels give me abdominal cramps for some reason.  I think its the sugar maybe.  I normally don't eat much sugar.

I tried one of theses gels just today.
I felt no change in how I felt while running, but I've been slightly dizzy and cramped all afternoon.

I worry about my running.
I can jump rope until the cows come home so cardio isn't a factor. My karate instructor says my lack of running ability is simply because my body isn't use to the activity and is therefore resisting.
So I fully expect to be the worse runner when I get to BMQ but one of the strongest by the end........or fall flat on my face!!
Either way I plan on earning the title Solider by the end.

This goes out to all those asking about running techniques / forms / etc. I am a runner (not a jogger), and with over 90 marathons and ultramarathons under my belt, I have won races, finishes 1st in my different age groups over the years, and continue to run 5 days a week, with my long run on the weekend (30km+ non-stop).

Now I started off doing track n field in school, and making the transition to long distance wasn't easy, and had to remind myself of the infamous words..."it's a marathon, not a sprint". I digress, to get better at running like everything else, you have to be consistence with it, not just went it's nice outside liek some people do. I run Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall, and you just have to dress appropriately. Yes I have been out in -30 plus weather running.....I am a sub 20mins 5k, sub 40mins 10km, and 2:30 odd mins marathon runner. Oh, and am in my 40s (not that you will be able to tell), so not a young buck.

Gels: They do upset your stomach, and believe me when I say they won't make you run faster.

Diet: You have to get your diet in check i.e. burning more than you are consuming. No good running and then stuffing your face with junk right after...defeats the purpose.

Race Day: I pack a couple of advils, apple cut up into chunks, and stop at every other water stand to do a grab and go. The key is not to become stationary at any point, shuffle instead when you hit a wall.

The person asking for the 12 week plan...................try this

Tuesdays and Fridays

These are quality speed sessions where you’ll run out of your comfort zone. Run these quicker than your goal race pace. For example, if your goal is to finish the marathon in four hours (5:41 per kilometre), run at 5:15 to 5:30 per km or faster.

Wednesdays

These are medium-distance runs at a pace 45-60 seconds slower per kilometre than your goal race pace. So if you’re targeting a four-hour finishing time (5:41 per km), run at 6:20-6:40 per km. You should be able to talk comfortably. If you can’t, you’re running too quickly.

Thursdays

These are “easy” days with shorter distances. Alternatively, you can use them as extra recovery days or days to do cross-training such as bike riding, swimming or walking.

Sundays

Do the weekly long run at a relaxed pace 45-60 seconds slower per kilometre than your goal race pace. You should be able to hold a conversation throughout the run. If you can’t, your pace is too fast.

Tempo run

The “tempo run” in weeks 4, 8 and 11 should be completed at your goal race pace or faster.

Moneghetti fartlek

This “speed-play” workout in weeks 3 and 7 was pioneered by retired Aussie marathon legend Steve Moneghetti and takes 20 minutes in total. Without a break, run hard for 90 seconds, then jog for 90 seconds. Repeat the 90 seconds hard, 90 seconds jog. Run hard for 60 seconds and jog for 60 seconds four times. Run hard for 30 seconds and jog for 30 seconds four times. Run hard for 15 seconds and jog for 15 seconds four times.

Warming up

Before the Tuesday and Friday sessions, jog for 10 minutes, then do some light stretching. Follow this with three to four “run-throughs”, also called “strides”, of about 100m, with a walk-back recovery. Do the first run-through at 70 percent, gradually getting faster with each effort until the last is at 100 percent.

Cooling down

At the completion of the Tuesday and Friday sessions, jog for 10 minutes to warm down, followed by some light stretching.

Dimsum said:
Bumped this rather than starting a new thread.

For the runners out there, are there any recommendations for 12-week marathon training programs and tips?  I have done a couple of Half-Marathons but haven't had to deal with nutrition during the run, etc.  Have you marathoners just brought gels (if so, how many) and water (again, how much) for training and during the race?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I wanted to get some input on PT programs people have used in the past or are currently using to prepare for the Coopers Test.  I am looking for programs or suggestions to improve test scores from the min 75 points to at least 90 and up.

I know there are some great resources on the DWAN SOF homepages as far as fitness guides go, as well as the PSP SOA books (2015 edition).  However it was my understanding that these programs are best used after the Coopers Test while awaiting selection training.

Since the test is so specific it really seems like one must train to the test, using repetition of the 5 exercises, and then branch out into a different program once the test is complete.

Any thoughts, training tips, suggestions, and success stories would be appreciated!

Well just posting here... cause well im proud of myself.

Was on the treadmill a couple days back and did a 5km run, my heart rate averaged 160 the entire time and it took... 42 minutes. I know slow, but I couldnt even run 2k 7 weeks ago.

I was hoping id be fit enough to apply by May but it looks more like July.

Anyone have experience in getting up to speed i.e how long will it take to get a 5km run down to a military acceptable level? I run 3 times a week and am just looking for an aggressive time frame.

Keep up the good work.

I will leave the training regimes to someone who has more professional knowledge than I. Just remember that in order to achieve your goals you must put in the hard work, there is no quick and easy method.

Back