• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Williams charged in 2 x murders, confinement, sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petamocto said:
May also accept the words "extremely probable", but such is the legal system we defend.

Thanks for the corrrection. He may have more across the country that may be under investigation. Tiime will tell.

Haha, he is also alleged to have stolen about a dozen staplers from my desk that keep disappearing, too.

Mid Aged Silverback said:
He's got two murders right now, plus two sexual assaults where he didn't kill. Close enough don't you think?

Close enough for me. Would I ever quibble with you, Silverback?  :)

Petamocto said:
Haha, he is also alleged to have stolen about a dozen staplers from my desk that keep disappearing, too.
Maybe our NIS should investigate "serial staple" theives? Joking!! >:D

Is Russell Williams still grasping for control?
Colonel tried suicide and has stopped eating. Forensic experts attempt to explain why
Article Link

Many years ago, a young Russell Williams found himself locked in his dorm room at Upper Canada College, the victim of a prank by younger students who had used pennies to jam the door.

Williams, who lived on an upper floor, could have simply opened his window and called for help. Instead, he used sheets to make a rope, anchored it to an old radiator and scaled down through the open window.

He escaped – on his terms.

The story, recalled recently by a former UCC student who asked not to be named, may shed light on Williams' recent suicide attempt, and his current hunger strike.

The former commander of CFB Trenton is a man accustomed to being in control of many things. Now in jail accused of serial murders and sexual assaults, he has lost control of almost everything.

As he sits in Quinte Detention Centre in Napanee, down the highway from his old base, he seems to be trying to control what little he has left, suggests Stephen Raffle, a California forensic psychiatrist.

"I think the major thing is loss of control and trying to remain in control of an out-of-control situation," says Raffle, who has interviewed serial killers and gives expert testimony in criminal cases.

If Williams were to kill himself, a public airing of the alleged crimes would be greatly diminished. There would be no trial and no plea option, which would eliminate the need for an agreed statement of facts that would become public.

Williams, who has made two video court appearances since he was charged in February, carefully executed a suicide plan over Easter weekend, according to a story in the Kingston Whig-Standard.
More on link

I read that if you are still drinking water it takes about two months to die.
I believe he is still drinking water?

Baden  Guy said:
I believe he is still drinking water?

That got up a couple pages ago, it's almost like it's cheating (for lack of a better word).

The question was asked what could his intent really be, because if he wanted to just starve himself to death to end his ordeal, drinking water seems kind of counter-intuitive. 

Some of the people who work in the field said it is typically done for either attention or in thinking that you'll be able to use it to your advantage during the trial.

Petamocto said:
Some of the people who work in the field said it is typically done for either attention or in thinking that you'll be able to use it to your advantage during the trial.

Maybe sometimes people just loose the will to live.

"He hasn’t made any demands relating to his hunger strike. A psychiatrist who evaluated Williams said he simply wants to die, the report states.":
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/74040--col-russell-williams-reportedly-on-hunger-strike

“There’s a lot that he doesn’t want to come out at trial or through a guilty plea," a source close to the investigation said. “This would be his way of trying to make sure of that."
"In Canada, there appears to be no precedent for a person charged with murder escaping trial through self-starvation.":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/accused-commander-russell-williams-on-hunger-strike/article1529801/

mariomike said:
Maybe sometimes people just loose the will to live.

I think they lose their marbles first, but my post-secondary Psychology 101 hardly makes me an expert.

I can't imagine being imprisoned, really.  You would torture yourself more than anyone else ever could because it's all mental, and I think the smarter you are the worse it is.

Petamocto said:
That got up a couple pages ago, it's almost like it's cheating (for lack of a better word).

The question was asked what could his intent really be, because if he wanted to just starve himself to death to end his ordeal, drinking water seems kind of counter-intuitive. 
I'm inclined to disagree, since he did make a pretty legitimate attempt to kill himself by stuffing a toilet paper roll packed with aluminum foil down his throat. That's not something I associate with attention-seekers.

It may be that starving yourself gradually of food is easier than cutting off water; you can quell hunger pangs with water, but it's really tough to put up with being thirsty for too long. If he stopped drinking water, he would be quickly hospitalized and put on an IV drip to rehydrate, so it wouldn't speed things along from his perspective (indeed, it would probably be an IV drip with glucose and vitamins, and that would slow things even more).

As for why he wants to kill himself, given that sociopaths can't feel remorse I suppose it would have to be a matter of calculation. Possible thought process: the evidence against him is insurmountable and he will ultimately be found guilty if he goes to trial. He would almost certainly be dishonourably released as part of his sentence, meaning that he would not receive his pension. If he kills himself before he goes to trial the case will not be heard his wife can still receive survivor benefits.

hamiltongs said:
He would almost certainly be dishonourably released as part of his sentence, meaning that he would not receive his pension. If he kills himself before he goes to trial the case will not be heard his wife can still receive survivor benefits.

Which jingles something in my head ... perhaps it's already been posted & I missed it, but has there been any follow up to the matter of the accused and his receiving of pay?

Back in the day, one of the troops I knew ended up in civ jail with no bail. Seeing as how he wasn't showing up to work every day (obviously), he was placed on annual leave, and, when that ran out, his leave pass done up for the remainder of his accumulated ... and when that ran out --- his leave pass was done up for LWOP. Once that leave on his books was gone: it was LWOP, and he didn't receive a cent because he had no leave left and was not reporting for duty.

I'd assume that the same would be applicable in this circumstance ... or not??

ArmyVern said:
Which jingles something in my head ... perhaps it's already been posted & I missed it, but has there been any follow up to the matter of the accused and his receiving of pay?

"It’s unknown if the money is being used to pay the mortgage of the home he shared with his wife until his arrest."
"Even if convicted, Williams will receive his pension because the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act determines when a former member is entitled to a pension."
http://news.therecord.com/article/696452

"According to the Defence Department, Col. Williams is drawing his salary while behind bars in accordance with a rule stipulating that a member of the Canadian Forces may continue to be paid, pending the outcome of a trial.":
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2785138

"Accused killer Russ Williams still collecting colonel’s salary":
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Accused+killer+Russell+Williams+still+collecting+colonel+salary/2784966/story.html

mariomike said:
I think I saw something on TV that he remains on full pay. If convicted, he will have to forfit that pay.

Well, if that's the case, apparently things have changed then.

The argument for requiring the troop to utilize leave, then LWOP was that he was not reporting for duty --- and that he was not "being found guilty prior to being convicted" as the CF had taken no action to release him or discipline him. That came only after he was found guilty.

mariomike said:
"According to the Defence Department, Col. Williams is drawing his salary while behind bars in accordance with a rule stipulating that a member of the Canadian Forces may continue to be paid, pending the outcome of a trial.":
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2785138

"Accused killer Russ Williams still collecting colonel’s salary":
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Accused+killer+Russell+Williams+still+collecting+colonel+salary/2784966/story.html
But being relatively fresh off the Presiding Officer course, I remember they told us that in cases where someone is in custody pending trial they're "paid" into a special account that is held by the crown until there's a finding of guilt or innocence. If innocent, the pay is released to the member; if guilty it's garnished back.

So, yes, he's being "paid", but he's not ever going to see a dime of it.

Regarding CF pension:
"Even if convicted, Williams will receive his pension because the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act determines when a former member is entitled to a pension."
“Entitlements are linked to years of service, not reason for leaving the Canadian Forces,” she said.
http://news.therecord.com/article/696452

As much as it seems wrong for this guy to get a cent, in all reality it is his poor wife who didn't ask for any of this who will benefit.  She ends up being a victim too.  I personally don't care if my tax dollars end up going in her direction.  It's just cold consolation. 

And the toilet paper/tin foil thing was idiotic.  There is no way that would have worked.  The guy is on a camera 24/7.  He would know that the guards would come in and stop him.  It was just attention seeking BS.  Jump off a bench and land on your head sideways, snap your neck.  Drive the back of your skull into a sharp corner.  It is doable if he puts his mind to it. 

zipperhead_cop said:
As much as it seems wrong for this guy to get a cent...

He would know that the guards would come in and stop him.  It was just attention seeking BS.  Jump off a bench and land on your head sideways, snap your neck.  Drive the back of your skull into a sharp corner.  It is doable if he puts his mind to it.

1.  Not really.  Perception and probability of guilt do not = guilty.  He deserves to still be presumed innocent until proven otherwise, as that's the house of cards the whole system is based on.

2.  I tried asking a question about that a week ago and some people took it the wrong way.  The only answer that came out of it was that hanging is the most-probable way to do it.  I brought it up under the context of being a Taliban prisoner for years and wanting to know how you could end it, but then some left-wingers quoted the TMST lecture stating that it's our duty to hang in there indefinitely, and acted like knowing that you may want to commit suicide is enough to beat the feelings of ever wanting to do it.  Anyway, to get back to your point, that question was never answered whether or not jumping off your bed head first would actually kill you, paralyze you, etc.

Petamocto said:
2.  I tried asking a question about that a week ago and some people took it the wrong way.  The only answer that came out of it was that hanging is the most-probable way to do it.

http://www.insideprison.com/suicide-methods-in-prison.asp
http://everything2.com/title/Committing+suicide+in+prison

MarioMike,

Thanks you very much for posting those.

It does seem that hanging remains #1, but the #2 of trying to kill yourself by OD'ing on the countless drugs seems much less desirable and almost always results in painful convulsions, kidney/liver failure, and projectile vomiting.  Some on jumping off a roof, but very little on the option of running into the wall with your head down or trying to dive off your bed.

To me, nothing in this world would be worse than being in jail and a quadriplegic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back