• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

... medic?

Your past experience would be exceptionally useful....

Yes, Med Tech is a good one to OT from.  Keep in mind that not everyone gets an OT, so make sure you get in a trade you are going to like if you don't.  SAR Tech is very competitive.

what would make someone unable to ever get an OT in there career... also what is the req for med tech... I have alot of first aid experience, but didnt finish high school...

If a trade is "red" meaning it's undermanned, it may be closed for OT out.  Sorry, without high school, you (probably) wouldn't qualify for Med Tech.  Contact a CFRC to see what's available to you.  You might also want to think about "upgrading" your education (night school, distance learning) to get your requirements for Med Tech.

Martel said:
also what is the req for med tech... I have alot of first aid experience, but didnt finish high school...

From the CF website: "Medical Technicians must have completed high school with biology and chemistry credits, and hold a current driver's license."
A word about the driver's licence. In Ontario, it's a Class F to drive ambulance. Six demerit points within a two year period and it's goodbye Class F. No Class F, no job. You can loose those six points all at once for failing to stop for a school bus, or a couple of "Hollywood stops".

martel you posted your first request for information today, allow people a chance to answer over several days before you keep prodding for information. Better yet, if not satisfied with the information here, contact your local CFRC.

Milnet.Ca Staff

With regards to your situation Martel. I had applied to Medic with the hopes of CT to SAR tech as well. I also am from BC with an Advanced level 3 first aid, class 3 with air brake endorsement( fire trucks. i was a firefighter in Victoria) and unrestricted class 4 (ambulances) I had my biology and chemistry 12 credits and had applied on academic waivers for the math component and was rejected. I am now pursuing Infantry with RCR and or SIG Ops. Be patient and ask lots of questions to your CFRC. You could always go back and get your grade 12 schooling through distance education... just a thought. I was told by my recruiter that even with a CT you still need to meet the minimums for SAR tech. So again it looks like you might need to do some schooling. If you need further info PM me. cheers.
SMITTY

mariomike said:
From the CF website: "Medical Technicians must have completed high school with biology and chemistry credits, and hold a current driver's license."
A word about the driver's licence. In Ontario, it's a Class F to drive ambulance. Six demerit points within a two year period and it's goodbye Class F. No Class F, no job. You can loose those six points all at once for failing to stop for a school bus, or a couple of "Hollywood stops".

It requires a valid Driver Lic so that the member can be trained on the vehicles that they will be using.  Having an Ontario Class F or a BC licence for Fire Trucks is a moot point and means nothing in this equation.  All that is required is a valid Driver Lic.

George Wallace said:
All that is required is a valid Driver Lic.

I should not have mentioned the Class F. It is indeed irrelevant at the recruit level.
I have no way of knowing, but my assumption is the CF - like any ambulance fleet operator - runs a civilian drivers licence abstract on Med Tech applicants.
For example, can you imagine the embarassment if the applicant had an "ignition interlock" condition they "forgot" to mention at CFRC?
I can't see the CF handing a Med Tech a 404 to drive military ambulances if they come in with a valid - but unclean - civilian abstract.

mariomike said:
For example, can you imagine the embarassment if the applicant had an "ignition interlock" condition they "forgot" to mention at CFRC?
I can't see the CF handing a Med Tech a 404 to drive military ambulances if they come in with a valid - but unclean - civilian abstract.

"Valid" is the key word.  Lack of "Restrictions" would be considered within that context.  The CF will not issue 404's to someone requiring an "Interlock Device" on any vehicle that they may drive. 

Given that I must still meet requirements for the SAR tech trade while applying for CT from another trade like BOSN. Is it possible for me to receive my PCP certification through a military program while serving, even if im willing to pay for it myself? Ofcourse I will be completing my grade 12 through distance ed and have it completed during my service before I apply...

Martel said:
Given that I must still meet requirements for the SAR tech trade while applying for CT from another trade like BOSN. Is it possible for me to receive my PCP certification through a military program while serving, even if im willing to pay for it myself? Ofcourse I will be completing my grade 12 through distance ed and have it completed during my service before I apply...

This is just my layman's opinion, CFRC are the ones to ask, but, I would get my High School completed first, then apply as a Med Tech with the goal of OT to SAR Tech. As others have pointed out, that OT would be highly competitive. Even if the OT was unsuccessful, at least you would be in a similar job.
On the other hand, to me, BOSN sounds like a GREAT job. You would be trained for the things you seem to want - rescue at sea, first aid, firefighting. You also get to drive the boats, and fire the guns!

So basicly, a BOSN would have little chance of transfering to to SAR tech... Is this sort of what your saying? My best bet is Med tech... The thing is, i want to join the military life now, and complete my education while with them... Thats my only issue at the moment. If i fought like hell and worked my ass off do you think i stand a chance?

Martel said:
If i fought like hell and worked my ass off do you think i stand a chance?

Fought what?  If you don't meet the pre-reqs to get into a trade you won't get in.  Work your ass off yes, that will help once your in.

Okay, point blank. one of the main questions im wondering is can I go through any type of program as a BOSN after doing the trade for a while to get my PCP. I am willing to pay for it, but PCP is an extensive course that takes around five months. So does anyone know if it is possible to get them to allow you to train for it to meet the requirements of SAR tech

Martel said:
Okay, point blank. one of the main questions im wondering is can I go through any type of program as a BOSN after doing the trade for a while to get my PCP. I am willing to pay for it, but PCP is an extensive course that takes around five months. So does anyone know if it is possible to get them to allow you to train for it to meet the requirements of SAR tech

Do you plan on working on this course when you are deployed for 6 months of the coast of God Knows Where. Don't kid yourself, your bosses will want you to put 110% in your job and will basically tell you to work on your PCP during your off watch time.

To recap everything you have bee told so far;
1. Finish high school
2. Find a career that best suits you. You can try and find what you think will  "fast track" you but if it is not what you are happy with ten you will not excell at it. If you dont do great then you are less likely to get CTd to Sar Tech later. The SAR tech trade is open to anyone as a CT but tey are looking for strong, consistent, motivated people. Train in your off time for the physical stuff. Take as many first aid courses as you can and just apply and re-apply until you find satisfaction. You do not want to be struggling 3 years into a career choice that you do not like.

Martel said:
PCP is an extensive course that takes around five months.

What province is that?
PCP in Ontario is a two year - full time - college diploma program.
That's just for PCP.
ACP takes three years in college, and CCP takes four years in college.
All full time.

Even if you're willing to pay for yourself, I doubt you'll have enough time to do a PCP course.  IF (big IF) you get your high school completed (instead of being in such a rush) and join as a Med Tech, the CF will send you on your PCP course (in B.C.) as it's part of the training now.

Remember that the route you have to take with the High School deploma, requires Biology, and Chemistry or Physics.

Back