• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

I recall that most of the SAR techs I worked with in the 90's had an infantry background, mainly due to the jump requirement and hard physical nature of the job.

Colin P said:
I recall that most of the SAR techs I worked with in the 90's had an infantry background, mainly due to the jump requirement and hard physical nature of the job.

Unless the infanteer's were military free fall qualified it would not help them. SAR Techs jump with modern square canopies. They will teach them from the ground up, basic para is more than likely just the prerequisite for MFF, or which ever the course is the SAR Techs take.

Anyone know how many jumps they are required to do to stay current? I assume it has (or should be) alot. A normal fun jumper like myself does 150-200 jumps a year and when the wind picks up too strong or the weather is too bad we don't jump. I'm assuming the SAR techs jump in far worse weather than we ever would.

edit: sp

Future Prodigy said:
blackadder1916 -  I understand your point but it does not help to answer the question, of why there is not as many med-techs applying. Are they restricted from applying due to their 6 year contract?

And I thought my response was self-explanatory.

More infanteers (and other cbt arms) than medics.
My general impression is that a greater percentage of infanteers enjoy (and maintain) a high level fitness than do medics.
My general impression is that a greater percentage of infanteers enjoy and want to work in high physical demanding environment than medics. (parachuting, scuba, bag driving in the wilderness).
More infanteers parachute qualified than medics parachute qualified (while para qual not necessary to apply for SAR Tech this is an indication of "stud" factor).
The "stud" factor is important in that a SAR Tech has to have a degree of fearlessness to do some of the things they do.

It is relatively easy to meet minimum CF physical fitness standards and be a medic.  It is not as easy to be an infanteer and only meet minimum fitness standards.  Ergo, there is a larger pool of candidates who can meet the higher fitness standard for SAR Tech coming from infantry.  From my observations/opinion, selection for SAR Tech was primarily based on physical fitness ability and other factors/abilities were secondary.  Or perhaps I should say that the other factors/abilities are generally equal among candidates and decision goes to the most physically fit.

fair enough. Something to chew on.

Are the majority of medics in the forces unfit? I always thought of them to be in similar shape as people in combat arms? Maybe thats my romanticized vision kicking in again.

In reality though, there is nothing barring a med-tech from applying to be a SAR TECH down the road? (as a possible goal to reach for, kind of thing).

punkd said:
Unless the infanteer's were military free fall qualified it would not help them. SAR Techs jump with modern square canopies. They will teach them from the ground up, basic para is more than likely just the prerequisite for MFF, or which ever the course is the SAR Techs take.

I would disagree with this, specifically the first sentence.  From a friend of mine who is a SAR Tech, he said the physical requirements of the training were exceptionally high, and he came from the Combat Engineers and was a PT monster.  Unless you can explain and qualify this opinion, I'd say you are incorrect.

If you jump an old C-2 parabolic on a regular basis with a full load, moving to a steerable would be easier, wouldn't you think??  The physical and mental training previously gained in airborne infantry op's would go well to helping one make it thru the same kind of training elsewhere, wouldn't you think?

I think you are looking at this from 1 dimension only.

Eye In The Sky said:
I would disagree with this, specifically the first sentence.  From a friend of mine who is a SAR Tech, he said the physical requirements of the training were exceptionally high, and he came from the Combat Engineers and was a PT monster.  Unless you can explain and qualify this opinion, I'd say you are incorrect.

If you jump an old C-2 parabolic on a regular basis with a full load, moving to a steerable would be easier, wouldn't you think??  The physical and mental training previously gained in airborne infantry op's would go well to helping one make it thru the same kind of training elsewhere, wouldn't you think?

I think you are looking at this from 1 dimension only.

I don't doubt the physical aspect of being a SAR tech one bit.
What I meant was, unless they are MFF qualified they wouldn't have any bit of an edge with regards to the skydiving aspect over anyone else.

You do take a beating on your basic para, pounding in on a round canopy can do some damage if you do not PLF properly. Also add to this the day to day regular PT they make you do, so being in shape will definitely help you through this course.

Once they have completed it though, all that training is pretty much gone out the window, they now have to re-learn on modern gear with modern canopies, as well as the free fall aspect. This is completely different training than on basic para. They most likely spend time in wind tunnels learning proper body position, the new types of malfunctions that happen on square canopies, the theory of canopy flight and control.

edit to add:

Changing to a steerable canopy might physically be easier since your landings *Can* be softer with a nicely timed flare. Although, alot more practice is needed to operate safely.

Collisions (40) Collisions 14%
Landings (93) Landings 33%
No Pulls (22) No Pulls 8%
Malfunctions (53) Malfunctions 19%
Reserve Problems (17) Reserve Problems 6%
Other (40) Other 14%
Total (286)

That is a list of skydiving fatality's since 2004.
As you can almost 50% of the fatalities (landings/collisions) have happened under perfectly functioning parachutes.

punkd said:
I don't doubt the physical aspect of being a SAR tech one bit.
What I meant was, unless they are MFF qualified they wouldn't have any bit of an edge with regards to the skydiving aspect over anyone else.

You do take a beating on your basic para, pounding in on a round canopy can do some damage if you do not PLF properly. Also add to this the day to day regular PT they make you do, so being in shape will definitely help you through this course.

Once they have completed it though, all that training is pretty much gone out the window, they now have to re-learn on modern gear with modern canopies, as well as the free fall aspect. This is completely different training than on basic para. They most likely spend time in wind tunnels learning proper body position, the new types of malfunctions that happen on square canopies, the theory of canopy flight and control.

Just so I/we know, have you ever jumped a parabolic, done the jump course, MFF or the SAR Tech course?

Eye In The Sky said:
Just so I/we know, have you ever jumped a parabolic, done the jump course, MFF or the SAR Tech course?

No military related parachuting courses.

How ever I am qualified through Canadian Sport Parachuting Association.
B License / ~200 jumps

punkd said:
No military related parachuting courses.

How ever I am qualified through Canadian Sport Parachuting Association.
B License / ~200 jumps

Thanks for the clarification.  Then, in all fairness, you are 'guessing' at what it would be like.  Seen.

For the record, I've never done the SAR Tech course, MFF, but I was army and did jump static line/parabolic and I am sticking to my guns, a smart, fit combat arms type would be a good candidate, and ALL previous military training is pertinent and valueable to a potential SAR Tech candidate, the more physically and mentally robust they are, the better.

What struck me the most about working with the SAR techs, was not just their level of fitness and stamina required, but the level of qualifications they are forced to maintain. Just their normal everyday training requirements to stay current in every discipline was staggering, plus checking and fixing all of the gear. Not much coffee drinking and card playing going on.

It was fun as a CCG diver teaching Gung ho SAR techs about the value of vessel stability evaluations prior to entering a overturned vessel.  ;)

These guys sure knew how to party, my head hurts just thinking about the hangovers!!

Also surprised to see they were still using J valves on their SCUBA tanks in mid 90's !!!

Colin P said:
What struck me the most about working with the SAR techs, was not just their level of fitness and stamina required, but the level of qualifications they are forced to maintain. Just their normal everyday training requirements to stay current in every discipline was staggering, plus checking and fixing all of the gear. Not much coffee drinking and card playing going on.

It was fun as a CCG diver teaching Gung ho SAR techs about the value of vessel stability evaluations prior to entering a overturned vessel.  ;)

These guys sure knew how to party, my head hurts just thinking about the hangovers!!

Also surprised to see they were still using J valves on their SCUBA tanks in mid 90's !!!

True. A very busy and well disciplined bunch they are.

But still, worry you not, when they could squeeze in a game of cards in 9Hgr --- they always managed to soundly whip my ass.

There are no restrictions on MedA's from VOTing to the SARTech trade - other than their CM.

Medical training is conducted at the paramedic level and taught by the same people that teach BC Ambulance paramedics - so previous medical training is nice, but not required.  The same can be said for parachuting, SCUBA, rock climbing, etc.  They get it taught on their 11 month course.

SARTechs are physically robust with excellent stamina and endurance. 

As to the question of how many times do they jump - my answer to that is always 'too many damned times'...

I have physically dispatched the same set of ST's 3 times in one training day - only avoiding the 4th deployment due to an unserviceability.

They have routine Dive-Exs, Climb-Exs and Bush-Exs.  They have more personal equipment issued than  JTF-2 assaulters (imo).  Their vehicle pool exists of ATVs, motor boats, FORD F-350s, Dive tenders, etc.  On the aircrew side - we are lucky if we can get new office chairs every 10 years. :)

edited for spelling

First of all, thanks to all the guys who've posted replies to the questions in this thread. It is incredibly helpful  - all 15 pages of it!

I have two questions I couldn't find answers to:

1st: I can't find an "official" size limit for SAR Techs anywhere, but I'm still going to go ahead and ask in the hopes that some of the guys who have been there or are there currently can give me an honest, no bull assessment;
Is there effectively a size limit for potential SAR Techs?
(I am fully versed on the physical fitness requirements, I'm not worried about those). I'm thinking of things that would preclude a big guy who passes all the tests from making it into the trade... parachute max payloads? Gear size limitations? ANYTHING that wouldn't be common knowledge?
I'm 6'7, 255lbs., and based on my body type and prior experience, my lightest "playing weight" with sufficient all-around strength would be 230lbs.

You'd be surprised at the things one CAN'T do when they're my size. Airborne forest firefighters have weight limits well under 200lbs. for instance.

2nd (for the recruiter?): In today's Forces could a CF officer (say Lt.) turn in their commission to immediately apply for SAR Tech?

Things to know before I grenade my career and apply. Many thanks in advance!

grenade my career said:
2nd (for the recruiter?): In today's Forces could a CF officer (say Lt.) turn in their commission to immediately apply for SAR Tech?

Can't help you with your first question - there is a weight limit, just don't know the exact numbers.

As for you second inquiry - the latest batch of SARTechs that graduated in July had an ex-Officer on it.  He resigned his commission as an Infantry Officer and was on course as a Corporal.

Howdy. My first thought was the bigger the better, as there is a lot of heavy sh1t in my job, and I'd love to have a sherpa of a team member to haul it all. I would not be surprised if you are within limits for the trade, we have some tall beefy fellers in the job, though not too many tall and beefy. I do think, upon reflection, that you would be pretty miserable though. The crew position in the Cormorant is tight for me @ 6 feet. the ceiling is about6 feet as well, which means with your helmet on, you would be about 9-10 inches too tall. I bend my neck, you'd be walking on your knees. the Griffon would be even worse. Fixed wing side I don't see a problem, but choppers? miserable. i will ask @ work and see if there is a specific limit, but I do not think there is. As for the recruiter question about officer remuster. This is called bait-and-switch, the recruiter is offering you the job they want, then telling you you can remuster to the job you want. Good technique, but be aware. It will not be easy to transfer to SAR Tech, and people are unlikely to make it if theey take what the recruiter offers, just so they can transfer to SAR someday. As I posted earlier, pick a trade you will enjoy for your whole career, and excel. After 5+ years in that trade, more if you are an officer, reassess.

good luck

Anybody know about SAR pilots, I'm assuming there multi-engine/helo pilots (maybe jets?), but are they just posted to a SAR unit like any other posting and then a few years later you could find yourself flying around the world on in Aurora, or is it that once you're in SAR, you're in SAR.

Thanks alot.

I've already searched the forum, and there is a lot "if you work in SAR" or "SAR pilots do this" but no answers to my question. Unless you can link me to a thread that I completely missed.

tumbling_dice said:
I've already searched the forum, and there is a lot "if you work in SAR" or "SAR pilots do this" but no answers to my question. Unless you can link me to a thread that I completely missed.

Pilots move around like anyone else in the CF. You could spend a few years flying CC-115s and then be moved to something else.

Good enough ?

Back