• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

I'm not a SARTech, but your questions are pretty simple (and I'll bet covered here before).

1. Yes, direct entry SARTech does not exist (anymore?).
2. Free if selected. They train you in whatever you need.
3. Same as everyone else, you have to pass a selection course before even getting on the SARTech course.
4. I believe so.

Anyone know how long it takes to become a Canadian Citizen once granted Permanent Residency?

Tack on rchoosing a trade and getting accepted into the CF (1 year). Basic training and MOSID training (2 years). Serving out at least one posting and being at least a Corporal in the CF (4 years?).  Applying for transfer to ST MOSID (1-3 years).

This is not a job that you move to another continent for - as you would be in a position to possibly attend selection after almost a decade after arriving in Canada. 

Ralt said:
I'm european and the canadian Sar tech team caught my interest.
I've been looking up some information about how to join the SAR but some things are still unclear to me.

- Does it require military experience? (i know they prefer it but is it obligated?)
- What are the cost of the education?
- What are the chances of getting selected for the training if you are certificated as an primary care paramedic, and have some basic experience of climbing/diving/parachute jumping/survival etc. by taking some courses.
- if you sign up for try outs and you wont get selected, is it possible to try again later?

I am aware that i have to be a canadian, but before before moving to another continent, i like to know my chances of succes.
Thank you for any additional information i may receive.

The direct entry program is no more but could always reappear in the future depending on the trades needs.
Currently you must be a serving CF member to apply. The trade currently has to many Sar Techs to the point that this years course only has six students on it and it sounds like next years course will be similar.

Zoomie said:
Anyone know how long it takes to become a Canadian Citizen once granted Permanent Residency?

Tack on rchoosing a trade and getting accepted into the CF (1 year). Basic training and MOSID training (2 years). Serving out at least one posting and being at least a Corporal in the CF (4 years?) Meeting the requirements to apply to the SAR Tech trade via the Continuing Occupation Transfer Program IAW CFAO 11-12 and Applying for transfer to ST MOSID (MINIMUM 3 years if you qual for LOTP [meaning are a combat arms MOC] IAW *CFAO 11-12; if not Combat Arms, then minimum 4 years service before you can apply for and do an Occupational Transfer to SAR Tech).

FTFY  ;D

This is not a job that you move to another continent for - as you would be in a position to possibly attend selection after almost a decade after arriving in Canada.

And attending Selection is by no means indicates you will actually be selected. 

* there is a 5002 series DAOD that will likely supercede CFAO 11-12 in the near future, so the possibility exists the regs for OT may become more restrictive WRT timeline, qual requirements in current MOC, etc.

My recruiter told me that the SAR tech trade is full right now, and I won't be able to apply or join with COTP until someone leaves. :( I hope there are openings in 4 years.

korwynkim said:
My recruiter told me that the SAR tech trade is full right now, and I won't be able to apply or join with COTP until someone leaves. :( I hope there are openings in 4 years.

I am a little confused by your post. To apply COTP you have to be in the forces already and you would not need to speak with a 'recruiter'. And yes the trade is full, but courses are still running every year with as little as six members.

HappyWithYourHacky said:
I am a little confused by your post. To apply COTP you have to be in the forces already and you would not need to speak with a 'recruiter'. And yes the trade is full, but courses are still running every year with as little as six members.

I just did my testing yesterday and I want to eventually become a SAR tech. So the courses run every year? What if the applicants pass? Will they get to join  even if the trade is full?

korwynkim said:
I just did my testing yesterday and I want to eventually become a SAR tech. So the courses run every year? What if the applicants pass? Will they get to join  even if the trade is full?
If you are selected to go on course and you pass, then yes you will be a Sar Tech. Lately courses are run every year however that has not always been the case in the past.

Hi. Is it not possible to have a family, or maybe just your love one as a hero? Please share experiences as or from SAR Tech people, thanks.

Huh?

Yes SAR Techs are able to have families, it may be a bit more challenging than your typical 9-5 job.

justin9 said:
Hi. Is it not possible to have a family, or maybe just your love one as a hero? Please share experiences as or from SAR Tech people, thanks.

Once in a while you see a comment that makes you go....huh?  This would be it. :)

I really want to attach the user to a certain political party and who has been let lose by his handlers....but I digress.

Definition of a hero/heroine -- a man or woman of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. 

Based on that definition, yes, a loved one could be a hero.  Most consider those in uniform to be heroes.  Heroic acts have been done by people across all 3 branches of the military going back to its inception, and yes, SAR Techs are included in that bunch but so are infantrymen, doctors, pilots, etc...

I hope that makes it easier to understand.

And yes, they can and do have a family and children to boot.

O ok thanks. Maybe I should have said 'superhero' instead of just the 'hero'.  But since spending very long time of work, would it still be possible for them to stay close to their love ones then? Like not the kind of family who don't talk very much and be not close to each other, relationship wise. It's just I was reading until page 5 and a SAR Tech person seems mentioned being divorced will make the job easier.

Can you tell what life is like as one and how challenging it is to have a family? I will keep reading on the thread for more info.

justin9 said:
O ok thanks. Maybe I should have said 'superhero' instead of just the 'hero'.  But since spending very long time of work, would it still be possible for them to stay close to their love ones then? Like not the kind of family who don't talk very much and be not close to each other, relationship wise. It's just I was reading until page 5 and a SAR Tech person seems mentioned being divorced will make the job easier.

Can you tell what life is like as one and how challenging it is to have a family? I will keep reading on the thread for more info.

Being in SAR is generally easier on the family as you are not away for months at a time. However, your schedule tends to be a living, ever evolving beast that changes daily. This is not SAR tech specific as all trades involved in SAR deal with it.

Staying close with your loved ones depends on the strength of the relationship...not on employment. IMO.

Hope this helps. By the way please dispense with the hero junk.

Cheers

Inch said:
You're absolutely right, it's one of those trades where you have to be MOC qualified in another trade before you can apply.  The same sorta thing for Flight Engineers (FE) and Airborne Sensor Operators (AESOP).  It's also only avail to NCMs, officers need not apply.  As for time in requirements, someone else will have to answer that.

Cheers

I wouldn't say officers need not apply... I am one and am considering applying. Just have to be prepared to decommissioned. I met a SAR Tech who was an Air Nav Capt who decommissioned into SAR Tech.

LittleMagellan said:
I wouldn't say officers need not apply... I am one and am considering applying. Just have to be prepared to decommissioned. I met a SAR Tech who was an Air Nav Capt who decommissioned into SAR Tech.

There are currently three former officers in the trade.

Article Link

Meet the RCAF’s newest search and rescue technicians

July 5, 2013

Carrying on a proud and unique tradition among graduation ceremonies in the Canadian Armed Forces, the Royal Canadian Air Force’s six newest search and rescue (SAR) technicians parachuted into 19 Wing Comox, British Columbia, for their graduation ceremony on June 13, 2013. The graduation ceremony marked the end of 11 months of intense training.

The graduates of SAR Technician Course 46 have a wide range of previous experience: some were infantry soldiers, while others were members of Canada’s Special Operations Forces. Graduates also included a former military vehicle technician, a former combat engineer and a former RCAF fire fighter.

For more information on search and rescue operations, visit www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=11505.

SAR technician training is run by the Canadian Forces School of Search and Rescue, located at 19 Wing Comox. Canadian Armed Forces members who aspire to become SAR technicians must first pass a rigorous pre-selection course before attending the Canadian Forces School of Search and Rescue.  Typically, out of approximately 30 applicants, only 10 will be selected for the course.

“I’m extremely proud of their accomplishments,” said Warrant Officer Sean Calis, training non-commissioned officer for Course 46. “I am most confident that this year’s graduating class is fully prepared to perform at a high level during any SAR operation. I look forward to working side by side with one of them helping Canadians in distress.”

The Canadian Armed Forces’ newest SAR techs are:
•Master Corporal Jérôme Bourget, from Lévis, Quebec.
•Master Corporal Anthony Bullen, from Boxey, Newfoundland and Labrador.
•Master Corporal Jeff Elliott, from Victoria, British Columbia.
•Master Corporal Chris Martin, from Pictou, Nova Scotia.
•Master Corporal Brent Nolasco, from Peterborough, Ontario.
•Master Corporal Oliver Willich, from Kincardine, Ontario.

The Canadian Forces School of Search and Rescue prepares SAR technician candidates to perform life-saving missions in rugged and remote locations, while dealing with some of the harshest weather and environmental conditions Canada has to offer. Upon graduation, candidates are equipped with the mental and physical stamina required to overcome these obstacles and reach those in need. The six new SAR technicians will soon be posted to various SAR squadrons across Canada. They join an elite branch of the Canadian Armed Forces dedicated to their motto: “That others may live.”

Back