• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saudi Arabia expels Canadian ambassador for urging release of activists

Hamish Seggie said:
So let’s talk about China. Communist China. The country our PM so admires.

Now I’m not totally knowledgeable about China but I’m pretty sure they’re repressive as well.
China,  for all of their glaring faults,  are not exporting extremist wahhabism ideology that is a key driver of making young Muslim men want to blow themselves up for their god.

QV said:
That Energy East pipe would sure come in handy right about now...
Why?

Most canadian oil Imports come from the united states.

As far as I can tell,  only 10 percent of oil imported into canada comes from the KSA.  Over half comes from the USA.

Rifleman62 said:
What Cdn citizens?

Perhaps I misunderstood the situation. 

Samar Badawi - I was under the impression she was now a Canadian citizen, but perhaps that was just the wording of the article I was reading.  The wording was confusing, as I'm not sure if she is the Canadian citizen or if she is the sister-in-law of one.  Sorry.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4372563/saudi-arabia-expels-canada-ambassador/

Altair said:
Why?

Most canadian oil Imports come from the united states.

As far as I can tell,  only 10 percent of oil imported into canada comes from the KSA.  Over half comes from the USA.

Didn’t you just comment up thread the less ties to the KSA the better??  That is just one among many good reasons for that pipe.

dapaterson said:
Saudi news also reports that all Saudi students in Canada will be pulled out and sent elsewhere.

Meanwhile, a Saudi Twitter account posted then deleted a picture of an Air Canada aircraft flying towards the Toronto skyline with the caption "He who interferes with what doesn't concern him finds what doesn't please him".

EDIT to add link to captured version of picture. 
Dj7EPAYWsAAfmtH.jpg

Re: 9/11 imagery.

Brought to you by the country from which one of the most powerful family's malcontent sons masterminded thousand of deaths... (the same day that that family's jet was allowed to depart home to KSA through closed airspace...)

Perhaps there should also be a re-assessment of the LAV business as well?

All that said, on the Diplomatic front, if we as a Nation are so aghast collectively at how other Nations close to us (*cough, USA*) message by Twitter, then perhaps we need to look at our own house and check for hypocrisy?  Diplomatic issues should be dealt with by living, breathing diplomats, IMO.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Re: 9/11 imagery.

Brought to you by the country from which one of the most powerful family's malcontent sons masterminded thousand of deaths... (the same day that that family's jet was allowed to depart home to KSA through closed airspace...)

Perhaps there should also be a re-assessment of the LAV business as well?

All that said, on the Diplomatic front, if we as a Nation are so aghast collectively at how other Nations close to us (*cough, USA*) message by Twitter, then perhaps we need to look at our own house and check for hypocrisy?  Diplomatic issues should be dealt with by living, breathing diplomats, IMO.

Regards
G2G

The Saudi's have the funds they really wouldn't care too much and just take their business else where, cancelling the contract though. blocking the export permit would hurt GDLS more, unless say we just took over the contract and bought all those LAV's GD jobs stay, the army would Semi loose though cause we would get a bunch of vehicles we wouldn't have room for, or have a use or role for.

QV said:
Didn’t you just comment up thread the less ties to the KSA the better??  That is just one among many good reasons for that pipe.
Canada imports about 85 000 barrels of oil from the KSA per day.

The energy east pipeline had the capacity of 1.1 million barrels a day.

The Energy east pipeline was meant to  displace a lot more than the small amount of oil we import from Saudi Arabia.

Heck, even with the line 9b pipeline currently in place, Quebec imports more oil from Alberta right now than saudi arabia, 300 000 barrels to 85 thousand.

Saudi Arabia is largely irrelevant to Canada, which is I was saying energy east being aimed at displacing Saudi oil was missing the bigger picture.

That all said, I fully supported energy east and moving Canadian oil from west to east, but Saudi Arabia has little to nothing to do with that.

Now that we seem to be in the business of holding various middle eastern countries to account for their actions against women, let's make sure Iran gets "twittered" by GAC.

You know, Iran- the country that tortured and killed an actual Canadian Citizen (female journalist Zahra Kahzemi); that the previous government broke off diplomatic relations with but this government re-established as nearly its first act.

Or do only some women count?

I am no friend of the Saudis. I think they are responsible for the lions share of the misery in the Middle East, but they actually seem to be trending in the right direction under MbS.

I am not sure how having the Saudis, Bahrainis and the Emirates angry at us, but the Iranians looking on in amusement is "good".

Altair said:
China,  for all of their glaring faults,  are not exporting extremist wahhabism ideology that is a key driver of making young Muslim men want to blow themselves up for their god.

China is however using force, money and threats to run roughshod over the entire SE Asia and is busy undermining democracy here by using economic threats against any organization that is critical of it. So the threat is real, just different and they deserves heaps of criticism, just on the pollution issues alone, much less the threats to human rights. But since I suspect PowerCorp is kissing the Mandarin's feet, I also expect them to remain mostly silent on that file. 

The GDLS project work will be moved to a production facility if need be. But London has 3 or 4 Liberal ridings so I can't imagine Trudeau initiating what would amount to a closure of the plant. 

Colin P said:
China is however using force, money and threats to run roughshod over the entire SE Asia and is busy undermining democracy here by using economic threats against any organization that is critical of it. So the threat is real, just different and they deserves heaps of criticism, just on the pollution issues alone, much less the threats to human rights. But since I suspect PowerCorp is kissing the Mandarin's feet, I also expect them to remain mostly silent on that file.
Common tactics used by Nation states around the world, from European countries to America, that largely don't warp the minds of those living in other countries.

Those radicalized young westerners joining ISIL or radicalized citizens of Muslim countries that are acting as a destabilizing force for those countries, and deadly to western troops stationed there can trace their warped ideology to the  extremely conservative form of Wahhabism being preached in their mosques and taught in their madrasses, and those around the world. This is the country that supplied 15 of the 19 september 11th attackers, sent more suicide bombers to Iraq than any other country https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/world/article24467953.html , and has sent more fighters to ISIL than any other country except Tunisia. https://www.gistrat.com/project/the-data-on-foreign-fighters-and-isis/

China isn't causing Canadians to shoot Canadian soldiers at the war memorial and storm parliament hill, or run down soldiers with their cars, or shoot up nightclubs in the USA, or kill hundreds of people in France. That can be traced back to Saudi Arabia.

Altair,

Presumably, the Government will get right on expelling all the Wahabbi clerics from Canada and freezing Saudi funding of Canadian Mosques....

SeaKingTacco said:
Altair,

Presumably, the Government will get right on expelling all the Wahabbi clerics from Canada and freezing Saudi funding of Canadian Mosques....
Sure,  but in the age where people are getting radicalized online,  that seems rather quaint.

SeaKingTacco said:
Now that we seem to be in the business of holding various middle eastern countries to account for their actions against women, let's make sure Iran gets "twittered" by GAC.

And, while we're at it, every staunchly Catholic country .... or Province :)

Altair said:
Sure,  but in the age where people are getting radicalized online,  that seems rather quaint.

If you follow radicalization, the mosques act as catalysts either knowingly or unknowingly, the knowingly bit is through Friday sermons and private meetings and the unknowingly bit is as a congregation/commnication place for the radicals to sniff out new recruits. 

Sad reality is, those nations which adhere to something like Star Trek's Prime Directive are going to inevitably become the victims of those that do not (Interference in elections and politics is ridiculously common throughout history, after all).

Ergo, the solution is to emulate the Klingon or Romulan Empires.  :coffee:

In all seriousness, though, I see these events as proof that human behavior honestly hasn't changed that much since the Bronze Age, and that the appropriate response is quite simple. Escalating the matter is not going to end beneficially for any of the parties involved, therefore the appropriate solution is to do nothing (or at least, nothing visible). How many of the Saudi students attending university in Canada, after having been exposed to our way of life, actually want to be relocated? This sort of thing may well backfire.

“We need to use our diplomatic and more traditional intelligence assets to bring pressure on the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which are providing clandestine financial and logistic support to Isis and other radical groups in the region .”

-US State Department memo, dated 17 August 2014,

Altair said:
It might be quaint but it at least draws a line in the sand so to speak.  The graphics are good

What's the significance of recalling the two Imams from the mosques in Canada for "consultation and direction". Sounds to me like two people who ought not be allowed back into our country. And, they can take their obnoxious, rich, entitled students and stick them someplace else. Nobody's really going to miss them.

Anyone else find it hilarious that the Liberals demonized the Tories for taking a principled stand against dictators and human rights abusers at the UN instead of courting their vote for a UNSC seat, but now want praise for taking a principled stand against a human rights abuser?

That being said, Freeland completely blew off all normal diplomacy and went right into Twitter-rant mode, a-la Donald Trump, instead of using proper diplomatic channels to lodge complaints and voice displeasure? The KSA's over the top reaction is because of the over the top nature of her comments.

Back