• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Scots in kilt cover-up shock

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Scots in kilt cover-up shock

SCOTS have been warned to cover up underneath because going commando is "childish and unhygienic".

The Scottish Tartan Authority slammed the practice of wearing nothing under the traditional outfit and said it could even cause harm. But the idea has been blasted by livid Scots, who slammed the comments and insisted there was nothing wrong with keeping things the way they were. Former Formula One racing driver David Coulthard, 39, of Twynholm, Kirkcudbrightshire, said the practice should not be messed with.

He said: "Kilts are from the past and so is the tradition of not wearing any underwear.
"I'm proud to be a true Scotsman. It's a tradition that should be left alone.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3240084/Scots-in-kilt-cover-up-shock.html#ixzz169l3vbqe

There's a long history of it being an unhygienic practice according to the old joke:

"look under ma kilt, its grue-some; look again, its grue-some more"

I partially agree that underwear should be worn under hire kilts, but me own~~~nothing but what mom made for me...Besides, two layers of wool tends to get a bit..warm.  And the aire moving around every now and then is...refreshing.
Our Band's ones get dry cleaned every now and then to keep the pleats and some semblance of cleanliness.  ;D
  :piper:

So far, it hasn't made it to the Scottish Tartans Authority web page (not even on the FAQ's).  The only reference I could find is this piece on how to dress (also available here in case link doesn't work)
.... Under the Kilt. "You're not a real Scot unless you're bare under your kilt" should be thrown into the same wastepaper basket as 'You're not a real Scot unless you put salt on your porridge' but it's a humorous subject that's always guaranteed to raise a giggle or a shriek . . . and even an argument!

Traditionally of course nothing was worn under the kilt and if history is correct and charging Scots threw aside their feleidh mhors, no wonder they had such success on the battle fields. That tradition was passed on to the Scottish regiments and nothing was worn under the kilt in military circles unless dancing was involved or public-access parades were taking place in high winds. On parades, the drill sergeant frequently attached a small mirror to the bottom of his pace stick so that he could, at a glance, check that soldiers on were correctly undressed.

We mere civilians have a choice to wear or not to wear boxer shorts or briefs. Common sense and a regard for others should rule the day. It's one thing to go 'bare' when hill walking but to do the same when attending an evening function that involved vigorous dancing, could lead to the charge of exhibitionism and scant consideration for the social comfort of others.

The case is hardly closed, though:
.... Ian Chisholm of the Scottish Kilt Makers' Association said "it's traditional to go without and there is nothing wrong with it." ....

Back