• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

Pat in Halifax

Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Seeing as 'we' were reminded several times that this topic seemed to have hijacked another one, I thought I would start it's own. For those on the DIN, latest 'changes' to SSI requirements:
http://marcom-comar.mil.ca/ssi-ism/default-eng.asp

I got my pee pee wrist slapped for posting it previously but then again, I have big 'wrists' so here goes again:
Levels.
1.        The SSI will consist of the following four levels:
                        (1)        Level I (gun metal) - 365 - 729 sea-days (1-2 years);
                        (2)        Level II (bronze) - 730 - 1094 sea-days (2-3 years);
                        (3)        Level III (silver) -1095 - 1459 sea-days (3-4 years); and
                        (4)        Level IV (gold) - 1460 or greater sea-days (4+ years).

2.        The initial sea-day requirement of 1 year (365 days) has remained unchanged. However, qualifying days required to achieve Level II, III and IV have all been reduced by one year.

Pat in Halifax said:
...qualifying days required to achieve Level II, III and IV have all been reduced by one year.

In other words, some senior folks looked over their records, felt they deserved better, and lobbied for change.

Shades of the Army's ill-fated "Warrior" badges - the Gold standard was what General So-and-so achieved...

dapaterson said:
In other words, some senior folks looked over their records, felt they deserved better, and lobbied for change.

Shades of the Army's ill-fated "Warrior" badges - the Gold standard was what General So-and-so achieved...

Or some folks looked at the overall numbers and felt that the distribution was a bit off, and that a slightly larger percentage of CF personnel should be awarded the higher and highest levels.

I see no reason to jump straight to accusations of misconduct.

gcclarke said:
Or some folks looked at the overall numbers and felt that the distribution was a bit off, and that a slightly larger percentage of CF personnel should be awarded the higher and highest levels.

No acusations of misconduct - every organization has formal and informal means to lobby for change.

But this does smack (somewhat) of the Lake Wobegon syndrome - where everyone is above average.

I'll be curious to see what happens when the grievances start to roll in when folks feel they're not getting the same credit they've calculated for themselves.  I haven't seen any discussion of how they're going to account for all the legitimate days at sea for which there is no record.

Pusser said:
I'll be curious to see what happens when the grievances start to roll in when folks feel they're not getting the same credit they've calculated for themselves.  I haven't seen any discussion of how they're going to account for all the legitimate days at sea for which there is no record.

They can have all my sea days, no strings.  That way I'll never qualify for this Boy Scout badge.

gcclarke said:

From the previous tread on the same topic, I clearly remember it was, like you said, a percentage question... something like only 20 sailors qualified for the last "rank" of the SSI

Does anyone know when this will take effect?  Is this operational sea time, or just time posted to a ship?

As far as I know it is actual days at sea, unlike sea pay that is calculated on time posted. If it were time posted everyone in the navy would pretty much be gold by now. Most peoples first ship posting is longer then 4 year...

Klink

Klinkaroo said:
As far as I know it is actual days at sea, unlike sea pay that is calculated on time posted. If it were time posted everyone in the navy would pretty much be gold by now. Most peoples first ship posting is longer then 4 year...

Yeah, that sounds about right.  But it's going to be hard for them to calculate every little sail that you do. SOVPAT, Sea Trials, Salty Dips, etc.  Based on that, it would probably just include major exercises and deployments; stuff that gets written into your UER.

Jaydub said:
Yeah, that sounds about right.  But it's going to be hard for them to calculate every little sail that you do. SOVPAT, Sea Trials, Salty Dips, etc.  Based on that, it would probably just include major exercises and deployments; stuff that gets written into your UER.

We already pretty much exhausted the discussion on the calculation problem here...
http://Forums.Navy.ca/forums/threads/92470.345.html

Has anyone heard any news on this lately, its seems to have died down. And now the DIN link no longer works! I wonder if thats a sign that they learned it would ebe to to difficult to do and just quietly scrapped it.

I certainly hope so.  But you're right it seems to have fallen off the grid.

I happened to be talking to someone who is working on the project, apparently audits are going slowly. I was told there is a MARGEN coming out on it soon.

I believe it.....it'll be a nightmare to track it from years ago....

NS

Things are going more slowly than anticipated eh. Well they said they are going to start giving them out in Jan 2011. And with Xmas leave around the corner that barely gives them 2 months to finalize. Yeah I don't see this being done on time, if at all. Any one work at NDHQ cause I thought they've already audited like 3000 people.

Honestly, let's get them out to the easiest ones (the young/new guys) right away.

Us old coots don't need an extra badge to lose to show our experience/skill. 

The young'uns need some recognition before us old guys do, and it'll be easier to calculate the days for a kid with 1 posting to a ship, than a guy like me with 6 different sea-going postings on 5 ships over the span of 18 years....

Recognize the efforts of the new guys, give them something to put up on their uniform....we don't give the SSM(NATO) anymore, so having something for 'em would be good.

NS

Back