• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

Hey all.

So I was just wondering if anyone has some first hand knowledge on the subject of picking up an official second language (of course it being french) for when I leave for St. Jean and also how it could benefit me throughout my career with the CF?

Thanks in Advance!

I doubt there will be time for official SLT (Second Language Training) during BMQ (like, zero time).  If you are doing BMQ and starting out as a NCM, I would worry about getting thru Basic and your initial occupation training.

There can/are some benefits to having a second language, but the time to wonder and pursue those are after BMQ.  Focus on the puck for now.  :2c:

No problem.  There is the potential, later on after your are MOC qualified, to pursue SLT but there are so many variables that could make that happen/not happen, its actually pretty hard to guess accurately. 

NCM or Officer, don't count on getting Second Language Training (SLT) unless you happen to be posted to a unit that is the opposite of your first language and even then, it's not guaranteed. There is an online option that the CAF offers members once they are in. There's Rosetta Stone, Duolingo, etc. as well. The availability of SLT over the last few years has dropped dramatically. Whereas officers used to get a few weeks at the end of basic, that program ended about 10 years ago. Positions at the Captain level on the year-long French course exist but in my trade, there are no ATL credits (think positions at an imaginary unit) so any unit that wants to send a Captain on the course has to keep the member on there list for the duration. That is just the case for the artillery mind you, I can't comment on other trades. Essentially the only group of officers that gets SLT in any number is those who went to RMC. As for NCMs, I have seen a few people get it but it would be in the range of 0-2 every year from a Regiment of approximately 500 soldiers.

I'm not sure how far away from BMQ you are but if you have the opportunity to take a course through your local College, I'd recommend it. Many offer night time classes that can give you a quick primer and help you get a solid base for self-study.

Best of luck!

Back