• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

I like what you are saying Pat because it will add to my arguement in the near future.

You ever run into Steve Jackson in your travels? He is an old Thumperhead from years gone by

Mike Cotts said:
I like what you are saying Pat because it will add to my arguement in the near future.

You ever run into Steve Jackson in your travels? He is an old Thumperhead from years gone by

I havent run into Steve yet but i'll keep an eye out.

Can i ask you what future argument you are refering to ?

BTW, how are things in Pet, sometimes i miss my old trade........?

For me to know and for you to find out Pat. It's a doozy let me tell you!!!!

Things in Pet are great but the pace is very very hectic. I wouldn't give it up for the world though! I love it! How do you like your new paycheck?

Ontario and Manitoba are also officially bilingual.

I myself went through French Immersion and am fully bilingual, and have found the skill to be virtually useless here on the left coast. My current civilian job requires a fluency in French, but any other "bilingual" position I applied for out here in Vancouver, they were usually looking for people who spoke Cantonese, Mandarian or Punjabi. French is almost non-existant here, other than on our cereal boxes.

Which begs the question - should Canada be a bilingual country, or should we be multilingual to reflect the many different cultures that have contributed to the Canadian dialogue?

...nooooo....not again.......can feel the pull.....must resist.......I'll get you for this Infanteer.....

S_Baker said:
I like the concept of being bilingual, I am not sure that being multilingual is good for a country.   Creates too much division.

It seems the trouble, as Combat Medic pointed out, is that bilingualism seems to create division as well.   Theoretically, bilingual should mean that all citizens are capable of speaking both languages (meaning that it shouldn't matter what language ths sign is written in because we could read it either way) - but it appears that bilingualism in Canada for the most part is either/or or even neither (ie: Cantonese with little English).

Tricky questions when trying to bind the body politic with a common approach to communication....

I am a MCpl recently posted to Valcartier as a PMed Tech, and am almost fluently billingual.  although I am not in a leadership role (PMed base rank is MCpl), I have had to work with the militia on exercise (in Mississippi) where almost none of the Medics spoke english. During one incident (no details no pack drill) I had to take a younger member aside to reassure her of what was going on with a friend. It was hard in my second language but I find if you take your time your message will get across... as well I tought the M72 during MLOC... that was an experience due to the fact that a) I have never tought weapons in french and b) I know the terms only in english.  I probably made up a few new terms...lol.

The point I am making is take your time expressing yourself and the message will get across.... and use diagrams.

Hello all,

I've done a search and found some info but none that really answered my questions.  I am off to St Jean for SLT from the begining of May until Aug 12 and am curious as to what I can expect.  Is it a mon to fri 9 to 5 kinda week or is like my time in the mega for Basic, confined to base for 95% of the time?  I am planning on driving myself out so that I have a vehilcle to use since I'll be there for 3.5 months and don't want to be stuck on the base if I get time off.

As far as living arangements go, does anyone know how that works.  A slight twist.  I'm reg force NCM so I don't know if they'ld be parking me with the Officers and I doubt very much that I'ld be using the same mess as the gents and ladies I'll be on course with.  Any NCM's out there gone and done the course at St Jean?

Thanks and sorry if it's been discussed to death.

Dylan

shado_wolf said:
I've done a search and found some info but none that really answered my questions.  I am off to St Jean for SLT from the begining of May until Aug 12 and am curious as to what I can expect.  Is it a mon to fri 9 to 5 kinda week or is like my time in the mega for Basic, confined to base for 95% of

It's mon-fri 8:00 to 15:15. After that, it's free time and you can do whatever you want... preferably studying your second language.  ;)
Also, there is a school block leave in June... weeks of the 13th and 20th.

As far as living arangements go, does anyone know how that works.  A slight twist.  I'm reg force NCM so I don't know if they'ld be parking me with the Officers and I doubt very much that I'ld be using the same mess as the gents and ladies I'll be on course with.  Any NCM's out there gone and done the course at St Jean?

I imagine you'll be parked with the Officers for rooms (there's an NCM currently on course that I've seen around), but will probably be using the other mess.

There is school block leave in June? I'm supposed to start SLT on the 12th of June. Is the leave just for the staff?

nurse sarah said:
There is school block leave in June? I'm supposed to start SLT on the 12th of June. Is the leave just for the staff?

Well, we were told that the students had to burn 2 weeks of leave starting the 13th of June. My understanding was that the school was essentially closed for those two weeks. I'm kind of surprised that you would be starting on the 12th given the circumstances.

Thanks for the reply.  Hmm, that block leave has me wondering what's goin on.  I'm on block leave from Aug 12 until begining of Sept (when my SLT ends until I go back to school).  I wonder if they'ld be putting me on PAT over the two weeks in June or if they'll burn up more of my leave for that period.  I know last summer they wanted me to burn at least 14 or 15 days of my leave over the summer but that'll only cover about 3 weeks.

Thanks,
Dylan

You won't be on PAT, the block leave is probably for the pers on the 8 month course they give to Officers after BOTC. There will be instructors there during that time, they hire a whole bunch of sessional instructors for the summer serials.

You will be learning French during that time, don't worry about that.

Inch said:
You won't be on PAT, the block leave is probably for the pers on the 8 month course they give to Officers after BOTC. There will be instructors there during that time, they hire a whole bunch of sessional instructors for the summer serials.

I guess that would probably be the case. I did forget about the fact that with the new session coming in, that things might be different for them.

I think the block leave is only for the people that have been there since Jan, meaning the 2Lt.s who were commissioned in Dec. and those that are going to be commissioned in April.  The rest, those summer only officers, won't be getting the leave, at least that's what I've heard.

I was wondering if anybody knows if SLT is like basic, like you have to say yes Sgt or MCpl or whatever or is it more like when your on base, you say sir or maam but basically talk 'normally' with people? I was just thinking about this because someone told me you don't but i seem to remember a guy I knew get in trouble for not coming to attention to speak to a Sgt working at the green desk on the way out for a weekend...

nurse sarah said:
I was wondering if anybody knows if SLT is like basic, like you have to say yes Sgt or MCpl or whatever or is it more like when your on base, you say sir or maam but basically talk 'normally' with people? I was just thinking about this because someone told me you don't but i seem to remember a guy I knew get in trouble for not coming to attention to speak to a Sgt working at the green desk on the way out for a weekend...

Once you're done BOTC, you're commissioned (if you're DEO) and they will be calling you sir or ma'am with a proper salute. If you're ROTP and still an OCdt, I'd recommend staying away from the Green Sector since there isn't a whole lot to differentiate between a BOTC candidate and an ROTP OCdt and that would mean random strips torn off you. In my 9 months of language training, I never once went to the Green Sector other than to go to the dentist and the gym.

As far as talking to them, use their rank and don't talk to them like your buddy. Be professional and you won't get any grief.

Back