• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Security Clearances

rahan

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Navcomm in the Naval Reserve.

Last summer, I was supposed to follow my NQ1 in Esquimalt (QL1 en français), but it all fell apart and we didn't get our training.
We were told at the last minute that we didn't get our security clearances, because (they told us) "somebody didn't do their job".
Now we're in January and I still don't have any news about that security clearance, and I'm getting worried. (By the way, only 8 navcomms got to do their NQ1 out of 60+ last summer, so I'm not the only one.. so there has been a major problem somewhere)

It would be a disaster for me if I couldn't do it this time around, so I'm wondering, is there any way to make sure that everyone is on the task up there? Like, I asked the master-seaman that's in charge and he was supposed to ask, but you know how that works sometimes, the message never gets high enough to really know what's going on.

In fact, I'm writing this with the hope that someone here knows if it's getting done, or could get informed as for what's going on with all our clearances.

Thanks!

rahan,

start by submitting a memo to your chain of command asking about the status of your security clearance. Give it a few weeks and ask again to follow up the memo.

Also, start researching the grievance process in case you have to push a little harder. If you haven't had a response to your request within a month after submitting the memo, ask for an assisting officer to help you prepare a grievance. This catches people's attention, the grievance system must be supported by the unit, and the grievance goes directly to the CO (in case you believe that the problem in communication lies within the unit).

Start now so that if it has to go that far, it might still result in corrective action in time for this coming summer's training.

rahan,

There are alot of people in the same boat ( no punt intended). I have been waiting for over 2 years for my level 3 security clearance to get done.  This is not uncomon, to the point where it is the norm.  it is not a case of " somebody didn't do their job" but a case of "there arent enough people to do the job".  The organization processing security clearances simply do not have the manpower to keep up with the demand.

But shouldn't they issue temporary clearances so we can get the training? I heard that's what they did for many of my friends.

Back