• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Separation pay/benefits

Thanks for the info,

Is it the same no matter what the distance is that you are away from your dependants?

I could be wrong but I thought SE was payable at the rate established for "incidental allowances" which at the moment is $17.30 per day as long as you are staying in Single Qtrs and provided with rations at the mess hall.

When it comes to Separation Pay - it depends whether the mbr is receiving while on attach posting or on TD.

There is a difference between incidental entitlements to separation expense entitlements.

If the mbr is on TD the rate is $17.30/day for the first 30 days, after which it drops to $13.00/day regardless if mbr is in SQ or in commercial accommodations.

If the mbr is on attach posting/posting the current rate is $11.50/day living in SQ.

http://hr.dwan.dnd.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/ChangesToSEBenefits_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

If there are no SQ available on attach posting/posting the below ref states what the entitlement is.

http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/...ection=209.997&sidecat=26&Chapter=209#209.997

When in doubt, always ask your Unit Orderly Room clerks to your entitlements.

As it stands, a married or common law member on course receives separation pay and is exempt from paying R&Q. A single member will in turn pay R&Q and gets no compensation for being away from home.

I believe there is actually a change in the works where separation pay while no longer exist. Instead all members regardless will receive TD instead. This would make it fair across the board.

Like already mentioned talk to your OR for the latest scoop.

amos933 said:
As it stands, a married or common law member on course receives separation pay and is exempt from paying R&Q. A single member will in turn pay R&Q and gets no compensation for being away from home.

A single member on course will not pay for his Quarters if he has shacks elsewhere or has a domicile at his posting.  S/he will have to pay for rations, because he does not have anyone at home eating food - thus there isn't double dipping of the pay cheque occurring.
That single member should also be receiving TD if the course that he is on is of sufficient length.

I know there was some change to the Separation pay for reg force.  I did a course in 2004,  the school  OR told us  Sep pay was cancelled for all domestic takings in Canada ie training not Operations.  Everyone  now gets  Sep pay added to there tour pay,  tax free  with a $10  increase.

My DH is in Borden right now on PAT and I am in Halifax and we are receiveing the $11.50 per day sep pay.

I am just wondering how separation pay works exactly.
My fiancé is in the forces and is currently posted to CFB Trenton. I've applied for ROTP and waiting to hear back on whether I've gotten in or not. My question is, When I'm in St. Jean doing basic, then in Ottawa at University, Will I be entitled to Separation pay?  I don't understand exactly how it works, so any info would be helpful.  Also what is the current going rate of sep. pay?

Wow, 7 minutes from registration to first post.  You might want to try the search function.

If you are not married or common-law, you would probably not get separation pay.  Since your fiancé is posted to Trenton, why don't they go see their clerk and ask?  Only one of you would be entitled to separation pay and that's normally the one not residing at a residence with the DF&E (dependents, furniture and effects).

Separation pay does not apply in Canada any more (as of about a year and a half ago).  Separation pay is now for overseas deployments only.  In Canada, TD or IR apply. 

Exact applicability of TD/IR to ROTP civi university, I don't know, but you won't get Separation pay.

Reviving a necro thread.....

A couple questions regarding separation pay.  Wife is in CFSAL in Borden, I'm at CTC Gagetown on my DP3A Inf, F&E and the cats and Q are in Petawawa.  Wife is getting Sep pay, and I'm getting TD.  Is this right, or are we only entitled to one kind of pay per service couple?  This kind of concerns me, as I was handed a sizable claim on departure for course.

Second question.  Can a single parent who's child does not reside with them claim separation pay?  Say a mother has a child who lives with their grandmother, is she entitled to separation pay for being separated from a child that does not reside with them in the first place?  Is this member entitled to any sort of special allowances, such as TD or relief from paying rations and quarters?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for bringing a thread back from the grave... I used the search function and decided to post here instead of starting a new one.

Pro Patria!

exgunnertdo said:
Separation pay is now for overseas deployments only.
Ok, hold the phone here. I was told ( approx. 2 weeks ago) by our Coy clerk that there is no separation pay on tours anymore, reason given "everyone is separated from someone", my response "Ah, ok"  ???.

Now unless I'm reading your post wrong, your saying that separation pay is STILL given for overseas deployments?

I remember the CANFORGEN stating that separation pay (separation expense - SE - actually, I think) was for overseas, and TD would apply in Canada.  Didn't see anything changing that one though.  Might have missed it.  There is such an assortment of benefits when you go on tour, it's hard to keep track of what is what.

exgunnertdo said:
I remember the CANFORGEN stating that separation pay (separation expense - SE - actually, I think) was for overseas, and TD would apply in Canada.  Didn't see anything changing that one though.  Might have missed it.  There is such an assortment of benefits when you go on tour, it's hard to keep track of what is what.
I do get SE every month and I'm in Canada...

Max

OK - to clarify what I meant, prior to sometime in 2006, there was entitlement for separation expense, separation allowance, separation pay or whatever they called it then, if you were away on a course or tasking, separated from your dependants over a certain number of days.  Sometime in 06 there was a policy change and going away on course or tasking fell into the realm of TD, whether married or single.  Slightly less money for those with dependants.  I can't remember all of the details, but there was a change sometime around then.

Different scenario is being posted IR away from your DGH&E, to add to the confusion they still refer to that as SE.  But that's different from the course/tasking scenario.

I'm trying to find the CANFORGEN...If they wouldn't change policies but leave the terminology similar, we all wouldn't be so confused!

exgunnertdo said:
OK - to clarify what I meant, prior to sometime in 2006, there was entitlement for separation expense, separation allowance, separation pay or whatever they called it then, if you were away on a course or tasking, separated from your dependants over a certain number of days.  Sometime in 06 there was a policy change and going away on course or tasking fell into the realm of TD, whether married or single.  Slightly less money for those with dependants.  I can't remember all of the details, but there was a change sometime around then.

Different scenario is being posted IR away from your DGH&E, to add to the confusion they still refer to that as SE.  But that's different from the course/tasking scenario.
I'm trying to find the CANFORGEN...If they wouldn't change policies but leave the terminology similar, we all wouldn't be so confused!

I'm away on a course on a full posting... IR!  It is possible ;)

Max

Back