• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sergeant Eades, Corporal Wasden and Sapper Stock Killed- Aug/ 20/ 2008

the 48th regulator

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Three Canadians killed in roadside bomb attack
Updated Thu. Aug. 21 2008 11:55 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Three Canadian soldiers were killed by an improvised explosive device while on patrol in Afghanistan's Zhari district, Canadian military officials have confirmed.

Task force commander Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson made the announcement from Kandahar and added that a fourth soldier was also injured by the blast.

The device detonated near their vehicle at approximately 10:30 a.m. local time Wednesday, said Thompson.

Sgt. Shawn Eades has been identified as one of the soldiers killed in the attack.

"At the request of the families, the names of the other two soldiers are being withheld at this time," said Thompson.

He said the families of all the soldiers involved in the incident have been notified.

more to come...

More to follow as the news progresses.

dileas

tess

My heart is heavy with these deaths. Rest in Peace, Brothers. May your sacrifice not be in vain. :salute: :cdn:

3 Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan
Edmonton-based soldiers die on patrol in Zhari district
Last Updated: Thursday, August 21, 2008 | 12:18 PM ET CBC News

Three Canadian soldiers were killed in southern Afghanistan after an improvised explosive device detonated near their vehicle Wednesday morning, the Canadian military said Thursday.

A fourth soldier was also injured and is in serious but stable condition, Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson said at a news conference late Thursday morning in Kandahar.

The soldiers were conducting a patrol in the Zhari district in Kandahar province when the roadside bomb exploded around 10:30 a.m. local time.

Sgt. Shawn Eades of the Edmonton-based 12 Field Combat Engineer Regiment was identified as one of the fallen soldiers. The military has not released the names of the other two at the request of the families.

The three soldiers were part of a tight-knit crew of combat engineers based in Edmonton, who were "proud, resourceful and armed with the technical knowledge that they generously used to assist the mission in helping the people of Kandahar province," said Thompson.

Thompson described Eades as a veteran soldier well-respected by all for his "outstanding professionalism and his operational experience and his competence."

Eades, a father, was on his third tour in Afghanistan.

The deaths come in a deadly month for Canadians in Afghanistan.
On Aug. 13, two Canadian aid workers were shot dead when insurgents ambushed their SUV in Afghanistan's eastern Logar province. Jacqueline Kirk of Montreal and Shirley Case of Williams Lake, B.C., were killed, along with Trinidadian-American aid worker Nicole Dial and the group's Afghan driver, Mohammad Aimal.

Two days earlier, a Canadian soldier — Master Cpl. Erin Doyle of British Columbia — was killed when insurgents attacked his combat outpost in the Panjwaii district in the province of Kandahar. Doyle's death came two days after Master Cpl. Josh Roberts of Saskatchewan was killed Aug. 9 in a firefight with insurgents in Zhari district.

With the latest three deaths, the number of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan has now risen to 93. Canada launched its Afghan mission in February 2002, and about 2,500 Canadian soldiers are now serving in the war-torn country, most of them in the volatile south.

AR2008-K055-33.jpg

Sgt. Shawn Eades, one of the three Canadian soldiers who were killed on Wednesday, is shown in an undated photo testing a powder substance found in a wagon for traces of explosives. (Master Cpl. Karl McKay/DND)

My condolences to the families and friends of the fallen soldiers, may they rest in peace.

:cdn:

:(

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen....
:salute:

A little more information here.

:salute: I wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for the guys from 1 CER.
My heart is with the family and friends of our fallen.
:cdn:

Wook

At ease Sappers, your job is done
A hard strike against such a small family

My condolences to the family, friends and comrades of Sgt Shawn Eades , Corporal Dustin Wasden and Sapper Stephan Stock

At the going down of the sun,
and in the morn,
we will remember them!

CHIMO!

I have huge amount of respect and admiration for the men and women in the Engineer trade. I've worked side by side with many and i'm very proud of what they do and the many accomplishments over the years.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of our three fallen heroes. To the fallen I say "Thank you for your sacrifice."

WE ARE, we are, we are , we are, WE ARE THE ENGINEERS

At the going down of the sun,
and in the mourn,
we will remember them

CHIMO !!!   :salute: :cdn:

Another gut punch, sad day brother beavers,  CHIMO.

Someone needs to get me some payback on this one.

Back