• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Service numbers

davidk

Inactive
Reaction score
This may have been addressed somewhere before, forgive me if it has...

When I joined a couple of years back I got a little slip of paper for with my service number that I had to input for my CFAT. We were told it was a random letter/number combination.

Yesterday, looking at the coy paysheet, I noticed an abundance of certain starting letters (V for example) while some were simply not present. Is a member's serial number in fact random, or am I being paranoid in thinking that the CF gives certain letters (and/or numbers) to members with different attributes?

Totally random.  There's no meaning to the first letter whatsoever.

Before the current service numbers DND used SIN numbers as service numbers - until they were told to stop.  Before the SIN numbers, the three services had their own service number system.  The Canadian Army ones started with a letter based on the manning depot that enrolled the recruit.  Thus, No.10 Manning Depot (Manitoba and North-Western Ontario) numbers all began with an H, and so on.

Back