• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sgt Janick Gilbert, SAR Tech, 424 Sqn, 28 October 2011

I won't provide any more details than has been in the news, but the cirumstances of him and the other SAR techs exiting the aircraft that night I think is the bravest thing I've ever heard.

Janick, you are a superhero, and will be missed.  :salute:

RESCUE

Huge respect for SAR techs; putting their lives on the line day in, day out.

RIP Sgt Gilbert  :salute:

Our sincere condolences go out to the family, friends and comrades of Sgt Gilbert.

RIP Sarge  :salute: :cdn:

Definitely sounds like quite the challenging jump to make...at night too.  My condolences to the family, a true hero.

RIP

I am thinking this a soldier  who lived up to greatest calling of all them . "So others shall live" I tried to make sure I had the right moto but if I am mistaken no offence intended. I walked on the Arctic Ocean( frozen over)  in the middle of the winter in 1996 when I lived up North in Iqaluit. It was cold and very dark at night, cannot imagine the thought process to jump out of an aircraft and into the water to rescue some stranger. This is a soldier who should get  driven down the Highway of Heros and given the send off he earned on that jump to save some one else.
I hope the people he helped rescue and their families say thanks to his family, because I know I would want to say  thank you.
SAR TECH a true hero.
Sorry  for his family's loss but thank you

You were a better man than I merely for doing the job you did everyday.

:salute:

Janick was a great guy.  I was very saddened to hear of his passing.  RIP

My condolences to Sgt. Gilbert's family in their time of grief.

I hope the survivors can carry on with their lives free of survivors guilt and live each of their days to the fullest.

My hat's off to you, Sgt.

Thank you for doing what very few of us have the intestinal fortitude to do.

One for you...to the bottom of the glass.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/media-advisory-our-search-and-rescue-technician-returns-to-cfb-trenton-2011-10-28

OTTAWA, ONTARIO, Oct 28, 2011 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- Our fallen comrade, Search and Rescue Technician Sergeant Janick Gilbert of 424 Transport and Rescue Squadron, will return to 8 Wing Trenton tomorrow from Nunavut.

Where: 8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.
        When: Saturday, Oct 29, 2011, at 3 p.m.
        What: At the request of the family, media will not be permitted on the tarmac.

The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, General Walt Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff, Lieutenant-General Andre Deschamps, Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force and Brigadier-General Richard Foster, Chief of Staff for Canada Command plan to attend the ramp ceremony to pay their respects.

Sergeant Janick Gilbert lost his life while participating in a rescue mission near Igloolik (Hall Bay), Nunavut on the evening of Thursday, October 27.

Notes to editor / news director:

A photograph of Sergeant Janick Gilbert is available on the Fallen Canadians page of the Department of National Defence website. Please visit: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/fc-ncd/index-eng.asp

Please note: The typical transportation route down the Highway of Heros will be modified to take an easterly direction down highway 416 en route to Ottawa.

Contact information:

Interested media may contact Lt Chris Daniel, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer, Tel: 613-392-2811 ext. 4565 or e-mail: christopher.daniel@forces.gc.ca

For general queries, please contact the Media Liaison Office at 1-866-377-0811 or 613-996-2353. For flight information, please contact the Air Passenger Terminal at 1-800-487-1186.

Scoobs said:
This is the purest definition of bravery, jumping from an airplane and into frigid, choppy waters in order to rescue someone you don't know.  Not for yourself, but so that others may live.

Couldn't say it any better.

RIP Sgt Gilbert, your loss is unquantifiable to this country. :salute:

SAR Techs are the best of the best of us.  My deepest condolences to the family, friends and comrades of Sgt Gilbert.  :yellow:

Rest in Peace Sgt Gilbert

My condolences go to his family and friends.

Truly heart breaking.

Condolences and prayers for his family and loved ones.

Back