• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shin Splints, Blisters, and PT [Merged]

So I've been trying like mad to break in my feet and boots before basic and after 3 laps  around my local golf course i am the proud owner of two huge blisters on each of my heels.  Now i am also an avid rower and i remember getting blisters like this on my hands before they became thick and calloused. Something I remember an old coach telling me was to soak my hands in very strong cold tea to help harden them up (he said something about the tanic acid hardening the skin like you would tan leather).  It worked quite well on my hands and i am about to try the same for my feet.  Just thought i would throw that out there and see if anyone has tried this and what results if any they have had.

Well, nobody with any medical knowledge has stepped forward, so…
I’ve seen/heard/read of this and similar things (peeing on your feet, for instance). My own view is: while some (SOME) of the ideas behind them seem to make sense (ie, tannic acid is used to toughen hides to make footwear) there is no evidence aside from anecdotal. Folk wisdom sometimes has some very strong truths to it, but modern medical science (to the best of my knowledge) hasn’t validated any of the ones dealing with toughening the feet.

So, go ahead if you want (I’m not advocating it, but I certainly can’t stop you). The placebo effect may help you out psychologically, if nothing else. I would recommend you seek out some medical advice before you do it, though. I kind of tend to think that soaking your feet may actually be counter-productive, softening up any callus you build. But, I don’t know.

If you do try it, let us know how it turns out. If your feet turn to hamburger, it may prevent others from the same thing. If you find it works, then beauty!

http://walking.about.com/cs/blisterschafing/a/blistersbegone_2.htm

Here's the site to support the use of tanic acid as well as advise of other ways to get feet toughened up...enjoy

HL

Well i must say the tanic acid worked quite well.  Just soaking them for one day reduced all the swelling and after they dried they were pretty tough and i even managed to walk on them (in combats).  After a few treatments they turned into true callouses that got me through a 13k ruck march.  Who knows maybe in a month my feet will fall off but for now this seems to work and ill post any change that may occur.

http://walking.about.com/cs/blisterschafing/a/chafing.htm

Here is some info on how to avoid chafing...and what areas might become chaffed if you don't prepare.

Be well
HL

Thaern said:
Who knows maybe in a month my feet will fall off but for now this seems to work and ill post any change that may occur.
Well?

This may not be good for your feet, but it works for me.

I have a gravel drive way and I find it helps to walk around in bare feet on the gravel and even on the pavement.  Mind you I also look for glass and other things that could potentially cause some damage to your feet.  Walking on the the rough surfaces helps.  I've broken in my combats by running in them for roughly 15k, didn't get a single blister, and all I did was walk around bare foot for about a week and a half before.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :cheers:

Whether or not its good for you, walking on gravel and pavement toughened my feet up as well.

this should answer a lot of questions regarding the EXPRES test:

www.rmc.ca/athletics/pe/EXPRES/CF_EXPRES_Operations_Manual_e.pdf

You guys can thank Cobra-6. (And it's all avail on open-source.  It's created by, run by, and administered by, civvies. So don't even think about starting on me. You know who you are.)

Sorry bout the Delay in re posting but i was off doing my BMQ and SQ.  So yeah my feet were more than just fine they were great and almost 100% blister free even after our ruck marches and the FTX.  The only blister i got was from walking in my civi shoes back from Cultis lake to STC/CFB Chilliwack, and that was on the top of my foot which was to be expected because i had lost my socks in the lake when someone knocked my shoes in (also therefore wet shoes).

Just a quick question about the tannic acid soaking method.  I realise the best source for a good soak is strong tea, but what tea specifically?  Do some types of tea have more tannic acid, or possibly no tannic acid at all?  What kind did you use Thaern?

nathanvs said:
Just a quick question about the tannic acid soaking method.  I realise the best source for a good soak is strong tea, but what tea specifically?  Do some types of tea have more tannic acid, or possibly no tannic acid at all?  What kind did you use Thaern?

Peppermint, it'll soothe your feet at the same time.  ;)

I think I've got shin splints again, but only on one side. Is this normal, as both times I have had them, It was only on one side. I suppose taking a week or two wont hurt me too much, and I've begun all the stretching excercises...too bad really because I have time to spare due to the holidays. I guess ruckmarching is still ok with shin splints?

Smith2-0 said:
I guess ruckmarching is still ok with shin splints?

No, you should keep stretching your shins, as you are off and can.  Avoid high impact lower body pt for a few days this with the stretching should help.  Use this advise at your own risk as I am an Engineer not a Medic.

In regards to shin splints, has anyone ever tried using a TENS machine to stimulate the muscles and help cut down on the healing process?

Here's a web site for all of you guys with shin splints, I suggest reading the part on the Cause, Preventing and Treating shin splints. It's easier to understand how to treat shin splints if you understand what causes them.

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php

You have to be careful with mole skin. The adhesive on the mole skin is not enough to keep the patch on your feet. Mole skin is for AFTER the march. I know some guys who try to wear it before a march. They always pay. I've seen guys use moleskin improperly. It always came off during the march, ended up being a ball of crap in their boot, and actually made their feet worse than if they wouldn't have used it at all.

A question about that, I have managed to get blisters on the top of my foot, near the ankle, and was wondering if this might be an exception to the "no mole skin" suggestion?

This is the first time I've perused this thread, so if this has been covered before, oh well  8)

with regards to the use of moleskin,  Paracowboy was absolutely correct in that the adhesive on moleskin is not up to the task.

One thing that is up to the task, except under extreme conditions (hours of immersion, incredibly poor fitting boots, etc), is Tinc Benz (friar's balsam) such as this

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441931941&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302695977&bmUID=1176096128250

used as an adhesive to hold either the moleskin in place, or the Spenco adhesive knit over top of Second Skin (tm), such as this:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442620247&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302695977&bmUID=1176096226153

You will hear old soldiers talk about the "friar's balsam treatment".  I'm not even to tell you what it is, because someone will get an idea and try it.  Suffice to say, do not get tinc benz in an open cut.  DO NOT GET TINC BENZ IN AN OPEN CUT.

If you're going to "glue" down the bandage, ensure you round the edges so they don't roll on you and worsen the problem, apply the glue to both the dressing and the skin around the blister, give it a second to get tacky, and apply.  Trim the edges again as necessary.

These products have taken trips from miserable to tolerable, and from tolerable to wonderful, especially in new hiking boots, plastic mountaineering boots, and ski touring boots.

PMT

Oh, can I say it, can I?  Suck it up!!! Always wanted to say that.  Joking!!!
I actually HATE that response!!  I never "toughened" up my feet, I just dealt with blisters when they did occur.  I'm not sure there's a "tried and true" method. 

I just want to drop in and say thank you to paracowboy for this thread and the "advice for FNG's" one, they helped me out allot.

Question time: do you recomend running in boots, and what are some good way's to toughen up the feet?

Back