• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shin Splints, Blisters, and PT [Merged]

Shin Splints:

I trained this year for the half in Ottawa, the army run.  Horrible shin splints about 2 weeks into training (I have not run more than 5K - voluntarily - previous to this year).  Once it was clear they were not going away, I found a physio who was trained in GRASTON TECHNIQUE.

They use rounded edged metal tools, and scrape up and down your shins.  It breaks the connective tissue holding your muscle to the bone, and they you get taped up so you heal in the way they want you to.  I kept up my running for 4-5 weeks in the early part of my training schedule (no runs longer than 10K) and played soccer 1x a week, and they got better! 

Previous to finding my physio gal I'd been told by numerous people in fitness there's no fix for shin splints, you have to stop running, let it heal, or you will wreck your shins.  I ran through the pain while getting treated, and shin pain was gone by about week 6.  I was icing after every run, and kept the tape on for as long as possible after ever treatment.

Ran my half in Sept with no shin problems. 

paracowboy said:
I don't recommend sticking your arms out, and making the 'brrrmm' noises unless you're alone, or enjoy making people nervous like I do.

You are god.

CbtDvr13 said:
So. Awesome.

Interesting way to revive an old thread...

CbtDvr13 said:
You are god.

And you are which - doltish, boorish, potsmokingish or just plain ignorantish...or possibly combinations of all of the aforementioned? 

MM

Hi, I know there is a lot of stuff on here already about shin splints. I read all of them and found a lot of tips about healing them (and I'm doing all of them).

This summer I ran a lot to prepare for BMQ, and I started to get shin splints. Not knowing exactly what is was at the time, I continued running anyway. Though now, it is really painful. I start BMQ in Feb, and have not really ran a lot since September. I did a lot of weight lifting at the gym, but it just made things worse.

I nodiced that if I wait around 2 weeks, most of the pain goes away. Since November , I ran 3 times and every time I could not run again for around 2 or 3 weeks cause the pain would come back. 
My question is: Should I keep on running anyway to get my cardio up, or should I stop running untill Feb and then run a couple of times before BMQ?

Hi, I know there is a lot of stuff on here already about shin splints. I read all of them and found a lot of tips about healing them (and I'm doing all of them).

This summer I ran a lot to prepare for BMQ, and I started to get shin splints. Not knowing exactly what is was at the time, I continued running anyway. Though now, it is really painful. I start BMQ in Feb, and have not really ran a lot since September. I did a lot of weight lifting at the gym, but it just made things worse.

I nodiced that if I wait around 2 weeks, most of the pain goes away. Since November , I ran 3 times and every time I could not run again for around 2 or 3 weeks cause the pain would come back. 
My question is: Should I keep on running anyway to get my cardio up, or should I stop running untill Feb and then run a couple of times before BMQ?

lapinpunki said:

In my opinion there is no sense in continuing to do something for a period of time if it's going to cause a greater period of pain or downtime. Remember that "no pain no gain" is a terrible platform to go off of for training, and will make you worse off in the longrun.

So, short answer from me is no; as you may continue to aggrivate whatever injury you have. You have to address the issue of what's causing the pain(proper footing, shoes fitting, medical, etc) and the best person to ask is your local doctor or physiotherapist, as they can provide better advice then any of us here.

Go to a physiotherapist or sports medicine doc and get proper treatment and get onto proper back to running program.  As there are many different subsets of shin splints (periostitis vs compartment syndrome, etc), you need to figure out what the issue is and get that dealt with appropriately before you start running again.  Want to work on cardio, I'd suggest the swimming pool for awhile until you get sorted out.

:2c:

MM

Thank you, I am seeing my physiotherapist this week, it will surly help. And yes I will try the pool thing, that sounds nice.

From my Chiropractor, which I found useful:

Get a very large ice cube, and run it up and down the front of the shins immediately before and immediately after running. 

If you don't have a large ice cube tray (photo is a silicone type), try a metal coffee mug to freeze an ice cube (rinse with warm water to release).

Rifleman62 said:
From my Chiropractor, which I found useful:

Get a very large ice cube, and run it up and down the front of the shins immediately before and immediately after running. 

If you don't have a large ice cube tray (photo is a silicone type), try a metal coffee mug to freeze an ice cube (rinse with warm water to release).i

And before the ice cubes melt, plunge them mercilessly into a giant tumbler full of gin and tonic and drink it from a hull down position in the nearest hot tub :)

Just thought I'd bump this thread because it is a treasure-trove of information for anyone (like me) who is preparing to go of the BMQ.

It's already stickied. "Bumping" will have no real effect, even if you did so daily.

And if you did so daily, we'd be "bumping" you...

paracowboy said:
thanks for getting my back, Jungle.
Sorry 'bout that troops, I dropped the ball.

For more good info on fitness check out crossfit.com, and for good info on all-around Army-type training check out GET SELECTED FOR SPECIAL FORCES at www.warrior-mentor.com.  This guy is the real deal and is much respected on several other websites.

Paracowboy,

Your posts in this section should be a kit issued field manual to every recruit and soldier.

Further more, it should be available at all high schools across this country for every student.

Good on you for doing this, it couldn't be better said.

Those that want to go out and run 5K, only need to do one thing. Decide that they are going to do it, and do it.

I could rant on about my own experience here, but will tell you one thing. The only way I've ever accomplished anything in this life, was to simply make up my mind to do it, and simply do it. Yes, sometimes I failed, and I got back up and did it again. Sometime multiple times. I'm thick headed that way... But it was the only way I overcame any hurdle. Attitude, attitude, attitude.

I hope the young guys and gals applying, find this to help them along in any journey in life.

And the quoted website link doesn't work anymore.

recceguy said:
Paracowboy has not been active here since April 28, 2008.

Thanks for the heads up,
Whom ever he was, he was a smart guy and made a good write up.

I've been wanting to join for a while now and have been trying to increase my fitness.  When I start running more, I develop bad shin splints that persist for a long time. When I was in school and had fitness testing for the program I was in, I had the same thing happen. When I start to feel them, they last for several weeks. I am a bigger guy (not tall, but heavy) and I've been working and dropping weight trying to get back to around 190lbs.  I was wondering if someone has had similar issues and advice on how to stop getting them. I've been told that compression socks do help and good shoes, which I have both.

Shin splints are caused by a variety of issues. For me, I found that getting the proper shoes was the cure. I would reccomend that you go to somewhere like the Running Room, where they will determine what type of shoe is best for you - pronation control, toe box size etc. Secondly, good stretching is important until you can just get out and run. Without going too deep into things, take a look at this article:

Shin Splints: Causes, Treatment, Recovery and Prevention

ModlrMike said:
Shin splints are caused by a variety of issues. For me, I found that getting the proper shoes was the cure. I would reccomend that you go to somewhere like the Running Room, where they will determine what type of shoe is best for you - pronation control, toe box size etc. Secondly, good stretching is important until you can just get out and run. Without going too deep into things, take a look at this article:

Shin Splints: Causes, Treatment, Recovery and Prevention

and.... you might need orthotics to address issues like flat feet etc

Back