• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

shipboard footwear

Sailing Instructor

Inactive
Reaction score
What are the features of appropriate shipboard footwear?  I am presently ordering custom made service boots (to fit orthotics, you see) and the option of steel-toed combat boots came up.  This ordering process is rather hard as I am doing it while having only experienced IAP & 1 yr university during my CF career.  Certainly, to save my parade boots from getting ruined while working aboard ship, I'd like to have combat boots that can fulfill the duties of shipboard footwear.

Will there be any problem (i.e. my captain yelling at me more than the usual requisite for MARS cadets) with wearing steel-toed combats aboard ship?  And are there any other features I ought to get since I have rather free reign over the design of these boots (so long as they cost the same).

So far, I am aware that steel toes are needed (all the time?) and any boots cannot have steel taps or studs on the soles (for sparks, I suppose).

Well don't forget you may be called to do damamge control onboard ship where you might need steel toed boots. This can happen anywhere at anytime onboard and you might be the first person on the scene, you won't have the luxury to go back and change into something more appropriate. I wear combat boots and the issued sea boots.

I went to the shoemaker today & ordered the boots.  Another question came up during the ordering: are the 'nitrile oil/acid resistant' soles on the ankle boots meant to protect against liquids aboard ship?  If so, ought I to attempt to get that feature in the steel-toed combat boots?

I allways wondered what you guys wore aboard ship.  Whenever I was on a course with sailors, they all wore these huge mother pink bunny rabbit slippers in the shack.

Tom

When I was doing the Navy thing, they had run out of the standard sea boat in the smaller sizes so I ended up with the same type of boats the hull techs get.  Basically a regular steel toed workboot, pretty comfy.

Here is the exact boot that we are issued for shipboard use:

http://www.terrafootwear.com/EnglishVersion/Products/Mens/Military/02.html

-Ryan

Seeing that seaboot makes me wonder: should I be asking for some more features in my bespoke combat boots?  Certainly I know that if the navy wants me to wear this seaboot & I need it custom-made, I will be able to get it.  But I'd rather do this ahead of time before I actually need the sea boot since the making of the boot takes approx 8 weeks.  That is why I thought having steel-toed combat boots would be nice: they'd serve a purpose when I'm not ashore.

Time to ask up the divisional system....

Back