• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

Marlin Spike said:
Shot at?  I have instructed NBP and have been fully involved with its training and development for years. I can tell you that the Navy has never Shot at, or been shot at, during boarding operations to date.
I don't understand where you are coming from?

What does not having been shot at have to do with anything?  The fact is they can get shot at, just like any other member of the CF.  The OP expressed some concerns about it and the board told him what unlimited liability means.  That a NBP hasn't been shot at or had to shoot yet means SFA.

Marlin Spike said:
Shot at?  I have instructed NBP and have been fully involved with its training and development for years. I can tell you that the Navy has never Shot at, or been shot at, during boarding operations to date.
Maybe not at sea, but NBP members were assisting in the sandbox and that was a two way range at times.

Yes you are absolutely right.. Its important to recognize the Navy's contribution in Afghanistan, as it was far greater than people realize..  I just get touchy when it comes to NBP and the use of force, thus, because there are several sailors out there that are telling stories about Boarding operations that are just plain "untrue"  I had one guy (WENG Tech) telling his wife that he had trouble sleeping because he had to shoot a guy on a boarding, of course she believed him and then went to work and told her office mates, and the story just kept rolling and the real problem is that the world really isn't that big and so eventually it gets back to people who are in the know..

You're right as well.  Knock on wood, we've not had that kind of contact to date and I truly hope we don't either.  I'm not a big fan of how the NBP organized in some instances and would hate to see some of these folks get put into the fire so to speak.

Marlin Spike said:
Yes you are absolutely right.. Its important to recognize the Navy's contribution in Afghanistan, as it was far greater than people realize..  I just get touchy when it comes to NBP and the use of force, thus, because there are several sailors out there that are telling stories about Boarding operations that are just plain "untrue"

Ahh I see what you are talking about now...context is everything.  :nod:

Marlin Spike said:
I had one guy (WENG Tech) telling his wife that he had trouble sleeping because he had to shoot a guy on a boarding, of course she believed him and then went to work and told her office mates, and the story just kept rolling and the real problem is that the world really isn't that big and so eventually it gets back to people who are in the know..
What's his first name...Walter?

jollyjacktar said:
Maybe not at sea, but NBP members were assisting in the sandbox and that was a two way range at times.
What does "assisting" mean? Were they employed as NBP, or were they just deployed in ATR positions where "two-way range" is an irrelevant term, similar to what the aforementioned Walter Mitty may use?

Not sure if this is on topic.
I was on deployment in the Gulf years ago. The BOSUN's were teaching people how to fire .50 Cal so they could man the weapon during choke point transits.
One particular person would not fire the weapon as they were afraid that they might kill some fish as they shot into the water.
This person was coddled and told that their actions were OK. The rest of the people in that group did not feel the same, we knew that if that person was the only person left to man the weapon the rest of the ship was in deep trouble. Luckly we did not have to fire any shots but the risk was there, yet this person still stayed deployed for the remainder of the trip.

The comments about NBP pers telling tall tales is nothing new. From my experience the biggest risk while boarding boats is the filthiness you are exposed to. The weapons we carry are only for self defence in the event someone has a concealed weapon. It just gives us the ability to defend ourselves and the rest of the team accordinly.

No one wants to get shot but when you sign up and are sworn in you are employed at the Crown's leisure. CF members are expected to go into harms way if told to without question. If they don't do this the system would not work.

Marlin Spike said:
No names. I'm sure you've seen the type as we all have..
Marlin Spike, if you google "Walter Mitty" you'll understand my and NS' reference.  We weren't asking you to identify this member (no names, no pack drill) on the web.

Journeyman said:
What does "assisting" mean? Were they employed as NBP, or were they just deployed in ATR positions where "two-way range" is an irrelevant term, similar to what the aforementioned Walter Mitty may use?

To be fair to the rum-sozzled sodomites with a penchant for the lash senior service, many of the EOD operators who deployed were from the RCN.  (Or, at the time, Maritime Command)

dapaterson said:
.....many of the EOD operators who deployed were from the RCN.
I'm well aware. As far as I know, they were all Clearance Divers, not Bo'suns.....hence my asking.

I can tell you that we sent personnel from all trades in the navy and several of them were BOSNs ..  I'm not sure where this post took this left turn but if this is just a sight for people to blow their horns then I'm not sure I'm into that.. If you want to talk NBP I'm your guy as I've been involved with it from the ground floor until where it is today..

for the record, short version for Boatswain in Canada is Bosn and Bosun is American..  microsoft office has really messed with tradition

We've got a guy who is in a position to know his stuff on that particular aspect of the CF. I don't see what the issue is if he's pitching in his knowledge on this, particularly given what the thread is about. I'm not gonna pretend to know much about NBP, I value that we have an active member here now who does.

Maybe everyone scan and breathe for a sec before we carry on? No reason for anything to be getting ramped up here.

Brihard said:
We've got a guy who is in a position to know his stuff on that particular aspect of the CF. I don't see what the issue is if he's pitching in his knowledge on this, particularly given what the thread is about. I'm not gonna pretend to know much about NBP, I value that we have an active member here now who does.

Maybe everyone scan and breathe for a sec before we carry on? No reason for anything to be getting ramped up here.

I don't think anyone is getting carried away or ramped up.

There was a comment about NBP in theatre; I merely asked for details. The question was answered, (unfortunately via PM so the answer still isn't common knowledge), by winnipegoo7 and I thanked him.

Marlin Spike subsequently brought his "from the ground floor up" expertise to bear by offering the correct abbreviation for Boatswain.

If that's considered "getting ramped up," it's going to be a painful day for the 'report to mod' function.  ;)

Back