• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

FSTO said:
Cobbler;
We had the committee from special allowances (forget their NDHQ name) join us for a compliant boarding while we (HMCS ALGONQUIN) were on OP APOLLO. They agree that there should be an extra allowence for the boarding teams while in theatre. That was in 2003, nothing has progressed from there.

FSTO-

I'm going to have to call you on your memory of ALG's time in the GOO during Op APOLLO.  Surely it was 2002, not 2003.  Most of 2003 we were shore stanchions up in the shore office during refit, having returned from the GOO the previous October.

Perhaps the heat during all those boardings evaporated your memory, or was it the wardroom wrestling?  ;)

Phrontis said:
FSTO said:
Cobbler;
We had the committee from special allowances (forget their NDHQ name) join us for a compliant boarding while we (HMCS ALGONQUIN) were on OP APOLLO. They agree that there should be an extra allowence for the boarding teams while in theatre. That was in 2003, nothing has progressed from there.

FSTO-

I'm going to have to call you on your memory of ALG's time in the GOO during Op APOLLO.  Surely it was 2002, not 2003.  Most of 2003 we were shore stanchions up in the shore office during refit, having returned from the GOO the previous October.

Perhaps the heat during all those boardings evaporated your memory, or was it the wardroom wrestling?  ;)

Your right it was 2002 and yea it does hurt when the XO is 6'4" 300lbs and thinks that he does no damage with a flying mare!

I thought this was pretty interesting. For those of you who keep up on this stuff:

Naval Boarding Parties wear badge of honourby Sarah Gilmour
Download PDFSend to a friendBeing a member of a Canadian Naval Boarding Party has become a badge of honour respected the world over. Starting in June, members began wearing badges to signify membership in the elite group.

Any qualified sailor belonging to a ship’s boarding party now wears a small, blue badge adorned with a crown and two crossed cutlass swords on their naval combat dress on their left side above the breast seam.

“The Crown is the naval crown, the blue represents the ocean and the two crossed cutlass swords represent the traditional weapon of choice in the older naval boarding parties of the 17 and 1800s,” said Chief Petty Officer, 1st Class Kim Davis, Command Chief Petty Officer.

Only those sailors who currently serve on a naval boarding party and naval boarding party instructors can wear the team recognition badges, unlike the specialty badges of clearance divers and submariners, who wear their badges throughout their careers.

Canada’s Naval Boarding Parties became renowned the world over for their skilled displays during the Gulf War. Since then, navies everywhere have sought Canadian instruction for their own boarding parties. Each Canadian warship has a boarding party with about 20 members who are typically the envy of their ship, said CPO 1 Davis. “It’s quite something to be part of these teams,” he said. “The guys who have done it loved it, it’s the gung-ho stuff different from everyday routine.”

Initially, there was confusion over the badge’s content, as some confused the crossed cutlass swords for those adorning Army insignia.

“Once you look into it, it’s pretty clear that these two swords are rich in naval history,” said Petty Officer, 1st Class Scott Morley, a naval boarding party instructor at Maritime Forces Pacific’s Fleet School. “These guys are quite proud to wear their badge.”

I was a current member of a team before being posted.  I'm questioning weather I would wear something like that.  Does that go on an NCD shirt or jacket???

And really...

"members began wearing badges to signify membership in the elite group."  ::)

To many people think we're commandos most of us do this because we like it and it gets us out from below decks.  As far as secondary duties its pretty good.

:cdn:

Lame...sorry..........the concept is gay and the badge looks like the Buffalo Sabres

Before you jump me, I did the Boarding Party Course....way back when Hootie was popular

Crow

Navy_Blue said:
I was a current member of a team before being posted.  I'm questioning weather I would wear something like that.  Does that go on an NCD shirt or jacket???

As stated in the original post, you must belong to a boarding party.  When you are posted, you no longer belong to your former unit, so therefore you would not wear the badge unless/until you become a member of the NBP in your new unit.  When you do wear it, it is worn on your NCD jacket.
eliminator said:
Any qualified sailor belonging to a ship's boarding party now wears a small, blue badge adorned with a crown and two crossed cutlass swords on their naval combat dress on their left side above the breast seam.

Seeing as how this is dealing with Naval Boarding Party, I recommend that the topic be moved to the Navy board.

Hmmmm....It just isn't right: it just doesn't SPEAK to me. The badge just lacks that "je ne said quois", you know what I mean?

Naval boarding parties should epitomize all that is truly "pusser"...that elegant simplicity that we expect of the well rounded and competent matelot.  The naval crown is far too wussy and complex to transmit that quality. The blue color is all wrong. It looks more like the shade a baby blanket would be, not a good hearty "navy" blue. And to top it all off, those swords really do look more like cavalry sabres than something you would expect to see in a naval engagement.

My suggestion would be to go with something more like this:

Lame badge full stop

Elite group?  =  Submariner Dolphins  recognized around the world........  Jump wings, those are elite..

I have seen this badge on uniforms in dockyard, it really doesn't do anything for me...........  I think that... Now hear me out on this one...

Our hats....  The crossed swords could have been placed on our ships caps... or something else

The USN submariners when they are awarded their dolphins they get a new hat which has their dolphins on it.  Identical to our clearance divers.......  We should mimic that up here with our caps and specialties....

HFXCrow said:
Lame...sorry..........the concept is gay and the badge looks like the Buffalo Sabres

Before you jump me, I did the Boarding Party Course....way back when Hootie was popular

Crow

I don't think anyone is going to jump on you, I think the general concensus is that that is one ugly badge.

If signalman's suggestion bears fruit, it'd certainly be a motivation to get on an NBP.

Until then... the badge sucks worse than the RMC uniforms.

Perhaps a good idea gone wrong.  In talking to members of boarding parties I find most do not like this new badge.  One I spoke with even put forward the theory that it was intentionally made ugly so that no one would like wearing it and it would eventually go away. 

I bet it would have been more popular if it had stuck closer to the design of our other hazardous duty badges, like submariner, clearance diver, and ship's diver, with the traditional naval dolphins.  (Maybe a dolphin wearing a camel pack while pulling off a sweat-filled pair of sea boots.  ;))

gravyboat said:
How about a fat dolphin wearing state trooper sunglasses thinking he is 10x harder than he actually is.

Now THAT is a great idea for the NBP badge!
My husband is having a good laugh with that one.

Frederik G said:
If signalman's suggestion bears fruit, it'd certainly be a motivation to get on an NBP.

Until then... the badge sucks worse than the RMC uniforms.

WTF is wrong with RMC's uniforms? Jeez - how can you complain when they're retiring the 5s and you wear your 4s and Scarlets only occasionally...

Frederik G said:

Fred, I'm confused now. Unless I'm mistaken, being on a NBP involves PT; and you know that PT is "Physical Training" not "PouTine," right?  ;D

Oh, and that is one ugly badge. Maybe check clothing stores depot to see if there are any old army "Warrior" badges still kicking around.

Note: I'm slagging neither MilCol types or any NBP folks here...just Fred ;)

Journeyman said:
Fred, I'm confused now. Unless I'm mistaken, being on a NBP involves PT; and you know that PT is "Physical Training" not "PouTine," right?  ;D

Are you sure? And to think I joined the Navy to avoid the first kind of PT and get more of the second kind. "Screwed by the green weenie again!"

Aaaaaand...

captjtq said:
WTF is wrong with RMC's uniforms? Jeez - how can you complain when they're retiring the 5s and you wear your 4s and Scarlets only occasionally...

My peeve was only with the 5s, really. I actually rather like the Scarlets. (Well, except for the whole infantry origin.)

I know people may think  it is ' lame ' . But , as an aspiring soldier who just joined the Navy and looking to be on Boarding Party.. I think it is actually kind of neat. Thank you Eliminator.

gravyboat said:
How about a fat dolphin wearing state trooper sunglasses thinking he is 10x harder than he actually is.

Now thats just mean! :D

Back