• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

I've no issue with Sig Sauer's, they produce a fine handgun. It's all about that single column magazine. If I'm going to have to rely upon a 9mm, then I want at least 16rds. Better to have and not need, etc... I'm not a big fan of 9mm; I'm a .40 S&W/.45ACP guy. But that's only my preference. I'm a throughback though, I have a .45 for IPSC and would prefer to use that, but that's unrealistic and I understand why, so Sig P225 it is. It's secondary anyway, and shot placement's more important. Just makes me think, keep that H&K in good condition eh. Sorry, I could talk small arms all day.

I'm more interested in what the day to day and duties of a MARS assigned to NBP would be. Is this the primary assignment? What are the other duties? What exactly is Force Protection? How long realistically until one can be assigned to a NBP as a MARS?

Enzo said:
I've no issue with Sig Sauer's, they produce a fine handgun. It's all about that single column magazine. If I'm going to have to rely upon a 9mm, then I want at least 16rds. Better to have and not need, etc... I'm not a big fan of 9mm; I'm a .40 S&W/.45ACP guy. But that's only my preference. I'm a throughback though, I have a .45 for IPSC and would prefer to use that, but that's unrealistic and I understand why, so Sig P225 it is. It's secondary anyway, and shot placement's more important. Just makes me think, keep that H&K in good condition eh. Sorry, I could talk small arms all day.

I'm more interested in what the day to day and duties of a MARS assigned to NBP would be. Is this the primary assignment? What are the other duties? What exactly is Force Protection? How long realistically until one can be assigned to a NBP as a MARS?

No worries Enzo I could talk firearms all day as well.
Usually its the Deck Officer who is the Boarding O as well. Like any other thing it woul depend on what was going on at the time and the tempo of ops so the all encompassing "it depends" applies.

Force Protection are measures while always considered were never really implemented until after Sept 11. They involve arming of personnel to protect the ship. Beyond that I won't say anymore.

No worries, I appreciate your input.

Basically, this is a matter of, "you can take the man out of the infantry..." I'm fine with a future in the Navy, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the infantry. This was a tough decision, so I'm trying to find outlets for me when I return, hence my interest in the NBP eh.

I'm also getting restless...

Cheers...

How hard would it be to get into the NBP training? After completing your MOC course, is there a length of time that you would have to wait before applying to the NBP?

Does anyone know why the boarding parties would not wear kevlar helmets?  I am assuming they are wearing the kevlar vests underneath their life jackets though, is that correct?

It just seems like there is such a serious risk factor when boarding those ships and you never know what is going to be on them these days.  Do the parties also use any kind of equipment to check for NBC?

The money just isn't there to outfit all the teams with kevlar helmets and while I know a kevlar helmet does not weigh that much searching a ships hold with its 40 degrees Celsius out raises the temperature and makes wearing the helmet uncomfortable. Its also an intimadation issue, we find we have had better results in co-operation by dressesing as we do then countries that board with helmets and full battle gear.
for NBC yes we have equipment available.

It may be best to Not discuss the specifics of naval boarding parties (IE the wearing of vests, tactics, etc.)
It could very well be myself, ex-dragoon or any other NBP members or future members who could suffer as a result.

Just a gentle reminder that these forums get thousands of visitors, not all of them with the best intentions.
NBP is dangerous enough as it is without the enemy knowing what they're going to get hit with and how.

Che,

I would certainly agree with you, but the fact that RCN posts pictures of their NBP's and the equipment that they are wearing would seem that these questions are open for discussion as to why they would not use it.

I would imagine the bad guys would/should be more sophisticated then looking on a forum.  If they really want to know you would think they would send out a dummy ship in hopes of getting boarded and learn from that.

I'm not here to debate this.
We have rules on this site concerning OPSEC and they won't bend simply because it's a NBP discussion and not a discussion about Infantry Patrol tactics or FIBUA.

As for sending out a dummy boat, won't debate the specifics, it doesn't seem unreasonable that anyone can be reading these forums at any time, that's not just paranoia, it's security which we all have a duty to watch out for no matter how anal it may seem at times.

As I said it was a gentle reminder that theres a chance these walls have ears, perhaps it's a small chance, perhaps the pirates of the carribean are reading this right now, either way it's a chance that we won't bet on.

Well said Che...btw there is no RCN....hasn't been since Unification.

krugan said:
Che,

I would certainly agree with you, but the fact that RCN posts pictures of their NBP's and the equipment that they are wearing would seem that these questions are open for discussion as to why they would not use it.

I would imagine the bad guys would/should be more sophisticated then looking on a forum.  If they really want to know you would think they would send out a dummy ship in hopes of getting boarded and learn from that.

rgr that. i am attracted to this exp too which is why i applied for the Navy. searched all the websites that offered pics of NBP's and wondered why canada doesnt outfit our boys like SealTeam6? anyway, found my answers here. but yeah, the questions seem legit and if terrorists wanna get the "edge" dont think they would get it from browsing this forum when DND.CA posts extreme closeups of boarding parties faces, gear, and firearms. but the input is appreciated and i understand your "these walls have ears" theory. thank you for the info. always appreciated.

A good intel team gathers info where it can and knows how to filter out the crap. While this is not an official CF website if you look hard enough you can get some useful information off of this site if you know what you are looking for.

On T.D.V. they showed the boarding party course that is run in Esquimalt.
Very interesting.
But as Ex Merch I was critiquing all the way as to how to beat the team.
A very good show to watch.

I found their attention to detail was badly taught, especially with the vests worn on the outside of the coveralls and the fingers in the trigger guards.

Ex-D, i'm gonna defer to your more recent experience here, but I've seen that particular video before, and frankly I was not impressed. Overall, I found the boarding teams very hesitant and unsteady. Then again, they were in training, which is different than what you learn on Ops. And, to be perfectly honest, I only had the opportunity for half a dozen boardings, none of them terrorist related, and all with the SMG and 9mm. So the weapons, and the tactics were different. But I must say I found the crews and teams on T.D.V. very cavalier ... I noticed one OS paying more attention to a harbour YAG than the instructor.

When TDV first aired that segment I was scrambling for damage control because I did not want the good people here to think that is how we are all taught and how we treat all boardings. I have been assured though by people I know on the West Coast that things have improved dramatically.

All right you two Hairy Bag's stop,suck back and reload!
I think every one who saw that program realised that the were new to the game.
From an Ex.Merch type I found flaws also but did find it interesting.

In my youth I was taught by old Seaman(WWII Vets) how to smuggle and I bet if I was given 3 days I could load and hide a 1 ton of exsplosives aboard a ship and we went to sea and you guys did a boarding you might find some but not all and if you did you and you ship would join me in Valhalla ;)

A Merchant ship has so many hiding places it's not funny,it's scary!!!
Ex. you ever check the chain locker on a Merch. Ship?
It's big and deep with lot's of free space.!!!!!!

Thank God I'm on our side. ;)

Back