• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shooting rampage at Fort Hood

E.R. Campbell said:
It's not his choice; the appeals process is automatic is capital cases and his sentence will be tossed ~ he'll rot in prison until he dies, which is appropriate.

Agreed.  In this case, he doesn't deserve "martyrdom."  Let him rot in Leavenworth.

Even in a military prison, where the standards of alertness of staff and discipline imposed on prisoners is presumably higher than in civilian prisons, I don't give him more than a month or two survival unless they put him in solitary. And maybe not even then.

Jacky Tar said:
Even in a military prison, where the standards of alertness of staff and discipline imposed on prisoners is presumably higher than in civilian prisons, I don't give him more than a month or two survival unless they put him in solitary. And maybe not even then.

He's likely to spend most of it, if not all of it, in the hospital ward due to his injuries and medical needs.

recceguy said:
He's likely to spend most of it, if not all of it, in the hospital ward due to his injuries and medical needs.

True enough, though again, I don't know how long he's going to survive. In his case I'd think he'd almost be in as much danger from prison staff as from other prisoners.

BTW, I liked your sig enough to swipe it for my internal email sig block.

Hasan's new home is the US Disciplinary Barracks at Leavenworth.a 515 bed facility built in 2002.

Jacky Tar said:
In his case I'd think he'd almost be in as much danger from prison staff...

Which implies that the MP soldiers who work at Leavenworth are unprofessional and would allow their own personal feelings outweigh their duty. I sincerely hope you're wrong.

Sorry as a US Taxpayer I'm inclined to give him his ticket to the 72 Virginians as quick as I can so they can keep kicking his ass in the afterlife.

Breacher41 said:
Which implies that the MP soldiers who work at Leavenworth are unprofessional and would allow their own personal feelings outweigh their duty. I sincerely hope you're wrong.

I hope I am as well, but then I remembered Abu Ghraib. And those were detainees, not a fellow member of the same service, wearing the same uniform and betraying that trust. Please note I am not advocating or supporting such, but human nature being what it is, it wouldn't surprise me greatly if it happens.

This report is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Washington Times:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/30/nidal-hasan-arrives-fort-leavenworths-death-row/
Washington-Times-Logo.jpg

Nidal Hasan arrives at Fort Leavenworth’s death row

By Associated Press

Friday, August 30, 2013

FORT HOOD, Texas — Fort Hood officials say the Army psychiatrist sentenced to death for the 2009 shooting rampage has arrived at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.

Officials released a statement Friday saying Maj. Nidal Hasan had arrived at the prison’s death row.

A military jury convicted Hasan last week of killing 13 people and wounding more than 30 at Fort Hood, a sprawling Army post in central Texas. The same jurors deliberated less than two hours on Wednesday before deciding Hasan should be put to death.

Hasan joins just five other inmates on the military’s death row.

Death sentences are rare in the military court system, and they’re automatically appealed. The appeals process often takes years if not decades.

The military hasn’t executed an active duty U.S. soldier since 1961.

Maybe we'll just stop hearing about him ... frankly the next thing I want to read is his obituary ~ Nidal Hasan dies in jail ~  50 years from now.

E.R. Campbell said:
Maybe we'll just stop hearing about him ... frankly the next thing I want to read is his obituary ~ Nidal Hasan dies in jail ~  50 years from now.

Actually, now that you've mentioned it, E.R., that sounds even more befitting than just letting him rot:

TOTALLY cut off all news reports on him and make him disappear from the public eye forever.

After all, how could he be a "martyr" or any sort if people don't know his fate?  ;)

In six months, there should be a small press release to say Hasan has passed away due to a medical condition, complications from pneumonia sounds good.  Then shove him in a deep dark hole and forget him.

Kat Stevens said:
In six months, there should be a small press release to say Hasan has passed away due to a medical condition, complications from pneumonia sounds good.  Then shove him in a deep dark hole and forget him.

Complications from AIDS would be better.

Not that I'd wish any disease on anyone, but in this case I can make an exception. Especially if it was contracted in prison.

In 25 years do we dig him out for one last mission to break into the Rock . . . oh wait, different guy, different story . .

captloadie said:
In 25 years do we dig him out for one last mission to break into the Rock . . . oh wait, different guy, different story . .

If the title role is going to 'Ironsides' sure. ;D

Hasan now joins a few others on death row.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20130830/NEWS06/308300023/Hasan-joins-5-murderers-military-s-only-death-row

tomahawk6 said:
Hasan now joins a few others on death row.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20130830/NEWS06/308300023/Hasan-joins-5-murderers-military-s-only-death-row
Convictions from 1988 still waiting for the needle?  The Wheels of Automatic Appeal® do, indeed, grind slowly.

Nidal Hasan, 42, the former Army psychiatrist sentenced to death for the November 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage has been forcibly shaved.

Hasan grew the beard in the years after the Nov. 5 2009 shooting that left 13 dead and 30 wounded and it became a major issue in pretrial hearings leading up to his court-martial because it violated Army grooming regulations.

Ultimately Hasan was allowed to keep the beard, which he claimed he grew for religious reasons.

But the rules are different on military death row at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.

Lt. Col. S. Justin Platt, an Army spokesman, said in a statement that Hasan had been shaved.

Officials at Fort Leavenworth earlier said Hasan would be subject to Army regulations ....
KWTX TV, Waco TX, 4 Sept 13

milnews.ca said:
Convictions from 1988 still waiting for the needle?  The Wheels of Automatic Appeal® do, indeed, grind slowly.

I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars is being spent on keeping these people on death row alive for over 20 years.

Back