• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should I continue with my application for the CAF

superunicum

Inactive
Reaction score
As a non-white immigrant who came to Canada at the age of 15, my father suggested I join the military, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I suspect there might be a lot of racism within the military. As a local Canadian, do you recommend that I join the military, or do you suggest I spend the rest of my life in Canada or get a passport and leave? Share your thoughts and comments

The CAF has done a great deal of work to foster a climate of inclusion. There will always be challenges in an organization as large as the CAF, but you can be assured that if someone crosses the line, they will be vigorously dealt with. I'm not going to say there haven't been issues in the past, but there have been a great many changes on this front. It is important to remember that the CAF is drawn from communities across the country, so it is a reflection of the nation as a whole. At the end of the day, most folks in the military care about getting the work done, and when the bullets are flying, everyone bleeds the same colour.

As a non-white immigrant who came to Canada at the age of 15, my father suggested I join the military, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I suspect there might be a lot of racism within the military. As a local Canadian, do you recommend that I join the military, or do you suggest I spend the rest of my life in Canada or get a passport and leave? Share your thoughts and comments
As a non-white Canadian, I’ll say that the CAF has improved significantly in the decades I have been in. Similarly, Canadian society has done the same.

There will always be ignorant idiots but they are by far the minority.

Separately, your three options are pretty far apart. If you just get a passport and leave, where would you go? Would you plan on joining another military/? It may or may not let you keep your Canadian citizenship.

There were a couple of Indians and Muslims with me when I was taking the CFAT and FORCE test (I'm also non-white as well) so it's not really a major concern since all CAF personnels are aware of the consequences of throwing racist/discrimitory remarks towards other ethnic groups, and wouldn't dare to do so unless they want their entire military career to end in a heartbeat.

As for your other question if you should join the military, it's up to you if you really want to join or not. The question you should be thinking is are you really commited on serving the armed forces? There are no wrong answers but it is worth trying out if you're ever interested on continuing your application.

Edit: typo

Also, why leave and go to another country if you ever decide on not joining CAF? You can just stay in Canada and pursue an occupation that's not military related.

Back